Which Practice Pad Is Best?

Muckster

Platinum Member
I use the Aquarian Pad quite a bit and Pat's P4 Pad which I like because of the multiple surfaces. I still have the square model but i'm hoping Santa will bring me the new
round design.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Quick update for any of the Aussie's who have followed the sub-thread here regarding the lack of availibility of the P4 in Oz.

Hydes just got back to me. According to their Ludwig rep, a decison was made not to import the P4 into Australia due to the subsequent retail cost. With HQ Real Feel's retailing at around A$80, they felt that no one was likely to pay much more for a practice pad than this. The cost of the P4's would have been much higher and Ludwig distributers in Oz didn't think it was a viable option.

So in short, you can't get a P4 through any retailer in Australia. Online is the way to go.

Pat, once again thanks for all your efforts on this. I appreciate the fact you've gone above and beyond the call of duty to try and assist us all here in the land downunder. It's a shame it's a market you're missing out on, but you have a quality product that I'm sure is walking off the shelves in any area where it is available!

Shane, once again, thanks for you offer. Let me get the 'expense horror' that is xmas out of the way and I'll PM you in the new year and we'll get the ball rolling.

Cheers.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Thanks Pocket. Great detective work.

I think with the exchange rate and shipping the P4 is a pricey option. I've not seen heaps of different types but it's the best pad I've seen so far.

V-drums seem attractive to me because you work your feel and move around the kit, tho' there's many $$ and a couple of square metres involved.

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Wow, Pocket, thanks so very much for the details..

This is where I feel politics rears it's head...

...Hyde's DOES sell a pad for over A$80..It's the HQ with the snare cartridge for A$119!!!

http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/view/4994/hq-snare-cartridge-pad-9-inch/

and the double sided is A$89 !

http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/view/4997/hq-pro-practice-pad-double-sided-12-inch/

They can't tell me the P4 will be that much more No way..
See what they have to say about those items.
I can't speak for Ludwig in this regard on an official capacity, but, I have asked Ludwig for a response, so, we will see..

Also, Hyde's sells there OWN practice pad....humm..

How about Frank Corniola!!? He's a great guy, and I think he would get it. I will send him an email, and maybe you can as well??

Thank YOU so much for believing in the P4 , and wanting to have it in Oz!

All my Best!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Also, Hyde's sells there OWN practice pad....humm..

How about Frank Corniola!!? He's a great guy, and I think he would get it. I will send him an email, and maybe you can as well??

Thank YOU so much for believing in the P4 , and wanting to have it in Oz!

All my Best!
The Hydes model is just the 'old school' stock, standard rubber pad. Still have the one I bought over 20 years ago actually. But it's fair to say it doesn't even come close to any of the recent models and there is absolute daylight between it and the P4.

If Frank still heads up Drumtek, then I'll be swinging past that way this Saturday, so I can pop in and enquire then. To my knowledge they don't have a Ludwig distribution though......although I could well be wrong there too. Will keep you posted.

Cheers.

jasoncarroll

I'd say the HQ Real Feel is the best drum pad...thats just my opinion. gives u great response, realistic bounce (feels like a snare drum), and its really quiet and doesn't disturb people in rooms next to you. plus they're pretty affordable.

jasonrhcp

I always found the "grey" Real Feel way too bouncy.

Pat's Pad gives so many options. The next best feeling pad to me is the Aquarian, and it feels similiar to the P4 (the bottom level), not too bouncy..just right..

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Thanks, Jason, glad you dig it..and that's why most people like it, for the variety, and for a little more money, you basically get 4 pads in one, with different feels.

Check out the new January issue of Modern Drummer, in the "New and Noteable" section, there is a picture and press release for the P4

robortwillys

Hi,
Get a 'REMO' practice pad. You can but the entire set, like a drum set, or purchase them individually.
Here is a link to Remo. They are the most versatile, well-known worldwide and you can even tune the pads.

rootheart

A duck feather pillow is a great addition to any practice pad. If you can play it on that, you can play it on anything.
yes..also using brushes on a folded newspaper...there is no cheating..you have to clearly "whip" any fast stroke to make it sound like something

Elvis

Silver Member
For the same reason why people drop that kind of coin on a Cadillac or a Lexus or a Mercedes, when they can just by a cheap Ford. You get what you pay for, my man.
...and sometime you do get a deal.
This is why I (again) suggest you guys actually try out The Rudi-Pad, before you ignore it.

Elvis

nocTurnal

...and sometime you do get a deal.
This is why I (again) suggest you guys actually try out The Rudi-Pad, before you ignore it.

Elvis
Looks pretty neat. Too bad it was overlooked in this thread. I can see how that would be an ideal practice pad for some situations. I'm not too sure about the website, though.

Dipschmidt

Thanks, Dip. Here is a video demo, for those of you who have NOT seen it yet..I'm proud of it, as it is beginning to gather alot of buzz and respect for it's uniqueness and educational value.

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/ludwigtv/player.php?url=p4pad.flv

It's in the new MD under "New and Noteable", as well.

Many 5 Star dealers are beginning to order it, finally!
Hopefully, I'll be getting the P4 along with a brand new Ludwig Epic for Christmas ;)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I know if I was looking for one, Pats video would have sold me. The four distinct sounds and feel look Great. Not to mention Pats skills moving around the pad are great. Best of luck with this.

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
I'd say the HQ Real Feel is the best drum pad...thats just my opinion. gives u great response, realistic bounce (feels like a snare drum), and its really quiet and doesn't disturb people in rooms next to you. plus they're pretty affordable.
Yes I agree I like the Reel Feel best too...when i'm on the pad I want to give my ears a break with something quiet and I like the bounce also.

I will say Pats P4 is an interesting concept that definitely has a market place...