Which Practice Pad Is Best?

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Hi, Pocket!

Thanks for the interest!! It is starting to get VERY popular, the more drummers hear, the more they want..

Here is a place from the Ludwig site

MUSICLINK AUSTRALIA PTY LTD.
29 South Corporate Avenue
Rowville, VICTORIA 3178
+61-3-9765-6565
Fax: +61-3-9765-6566
http://www.musiclink.com.au [email]barry@musiclink.com.au Perhaps Frank Corniola can get it in...he is a Ludwig dealer. ANY Ludwig dealer can get it. You can order it from Justdrumsonline or interstatemusic here in the states, but shipping would be pretty expensive. I will fire off an email to Frank, and if you do the same, that should get it rolling down there! Also, PLEASE end an email to Ludwig and ask them directly...That could help..

Just Drums

Silver Member
Pocket - we've shipped several of these to Australia. Shipping usually ends up being $40-$50 USD. Drop me a line if you wish to order....

Just Drums

Silver Member
I own that bottom pearl and to be honest i'm not extremely happy with it as it doesn't stay still when hitting it. I think the top one is probably better
Yeah - the Gibraltar IS better. I speak from personal experience. I've tried several.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Pat and Shane, thank you both for your quick replies.

Shane, just for the moment I'll try to source one locally, but if I draw a blank on that front I'll certainly get in contact with you. Thanks again for your help.

Pat, an email to Ludwig will be on it's way shortly. And I'll contact Musiclink for a rundown on availability. Thanks for providing their details. Great product btw, I watched your youtube demo again after I posted and I'm sold!!

Cheers men.

Shankmasterflex

Another one, that was a hit at this year's DCI finals, is the Invader pad by Offworld Percussion. If you need to practice for drumline, or want an indestructible pad with a rim, THIS is the pad to buy!

http://offworldpercussion.com
Wow that and the Oz pad are two pads I've never heard of. Definitely cool to know that there are people out there always trying to innovate.

Got a question for all of you guys. What's the best leg strap pad around? I've been looking for a really nice pad that fits comfortably around the leg and still has good feel and response. I can't seem to find any good ones.

Also just because it's been killing me, anyone use that pad that's really intended for hand workout, is about 12", and black? I tried one out this summer and really liked it, but forgot what it was called since it was too expensive for my taste, and it wasn't what I was looking for at the time. I remember it having a sort of tape around the rim with the logos and everything on it. Kinda felt like hitting a snare shaped pillow.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Got a question for all of you guys. What's the best leg strap pad around? I've been looking for a really nice pad that fits comfortably around the leg and still has good feel and response. I can't seem to find any good ones.
They're out there. I've seen them but can't remember the brand. Someone here will set you straight on that though, I'm sure.

As a 'home modification' though, my 6" HQ bounces around a little too much for my liking, so I screwed some brackets into the side and attached an elastic strap with velcro that I bought from a camping store. Works a treat!!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Pat, an email to Ludwig will be on it's way shortly. And I'll contact Musiclink for a rundown on availability. Thanks for providing their details. Great product btw, I watched your youtube demo again after I posted and I'm sold!!
Pocket, I haven't seen the P4 in Billy H's Drumcraft, nor on their site.

Have you had any word from Ludwig? Could be good for you if they have them in Melbourne. Typical Sydney ... if you want clothes, renovations supplies and sporting gear, no problem. The arts? What are they? *sigh*

Hmmmm ... to P4 or V-drum? That is the question.

Cost and space vs functionality and fun.

Elvis

Silver Member
The best practice pad is the one you have available to you when you need to use it.
I used the Sunday paper for years.
I've used my thighs for evern longer.
Furniture, especially pillows, make great pseudo practice pads.
I did the Sunday paper, because my "work out" was to play along to commercials, while watching TV.
...not as easy as it sounds.

Elvis

Elvis

Silver Member
...and if you must have a manufactured practice pad, then Cindy Contos's Rudi-Pad is the one I recommend.
Not too large, pretty quiet and quite effective.
Fairly cheap and easy to tote around, as well.
...makes a great mouse pad, too. =)

Elvis

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Pocket, I haven't seen the P4 in Billy H's Drumcraft, nor on their site.

Have you had any word from Ludwig? Could be good for you if they have them in Melbourne. Typical Sydney ... if you want clothes, renovations supplies and sporting gear, no problem. The arts? What are they? *sigh*

Hmmmm ... to P4 or V-drum? That is the question.

Cost and space vs functionality and fun.
Pocket and Polly

I will email them as well and see what's happening with Australian sales, and who has it..
Thanks again for your interest in the P4.

Pat

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Have you had any word from Ludwig?
Polly, the short answer is no. However, I must confess to totally wasting any spare time I had on friday and I didn't get around to sending that email. Unfortunately, no excuses.....total mismanagement of time on my behalf!! Will send it off after the weekend and will keep you posted.

I'll also be dropping into Hydes tomorrow so will make enquires there when I do.

Pocket and Polly

I will email them as well and see what's happening with Australian sales, and who has it..
Thanks again for your interest in the P4.

Pat
Pat, really appreciate your time and effort on this one. Please don't put yourself out too much though. I'll certainly get some answers this week.....was just too disorganised on Friday to follow through with it.

Derek

Silver Member
I've heard Aquarian makes a very good practice pad. Also, While I was in the music store last week I tried out Vaters' new one. I liked it. It was less springy than many of the others on the market and wil fit right in your snare basket. Not a bad price either.

stabmasterarson

i've got one of those billy hyde 8" rubber ones, it cost me about 10$. I have seen practice pads retail for 80$, I can't understand why someone would drop that kind of coin on one.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Polly, the short answer is no. However, I must confess to totally wasting any spare time I had on friday and I didn't get around to sending that email. Unfortunately, no excuses.....total mismanagement of time on my behalf!! Will send it off after the weekend and will keep you posted.

I'll also be dropping into Hydes tomorrow so will make enquires there when I do.
Haha welcome to my world!

If I was into betting my money would be on this being one of those things, like movies, where the Septics get it before we do.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Haha welcome to my world!
Poll......I'm a man of many talents......organising myself is NOT one of them.

FYI. Quick update for the Aussies interested in the P4. Sent the email to Musiclink today but am yet to hear back and contacted Hydes.....was confronted with blank stares, but they'll get back to me. They're always good on their word in Melb.....so will let you know when I hear.

Last edited:

zzzMikezzz

i've got one of those billy hyde 8" rubber ones, it cost me about 10$. I have seen practice pads retail for 80$, I can't understand why someone would drop that kind of coin on one.
For the same reason why people drop that kind of coin on a Cadillac or a Lexus or a Mercedes, when they can just by a cheap Ford. You get what you pay for, my man.