which pedal...?

zafrothunder

ive recently started looking for a single pedal to upgrade from my stock tama swingstar one. I checked craigslist for some quality ones because im not looking to spend very much on it.

I found a ludwig speed king w/ wood beater for $30 and a tama iron cobra jr. for $35

the SK is over 20 years old, and the tama is a little over 2 years old. The same guy is selling both. I called the guy and he told me that the SK still has a great action and does not squeak at all. The Tama is barely used, still in the box.

I dont think im going to be able to try these pedals beforehand, so I need to make a decision on one soon.

My music is punk/alternative/metal. I play fast and I like to incorporate triplets, double stroke rolls, etc. into my music. I went to my GC and i tried out the "new" iron cobra jr (which i liked) but they did not have an SK.

Which would be a better investment for me?

thanks!

scorch whammin

Gold Member
ive recently started looking for a single pedal to upgrade from my stock tama swingstar one. I checked craigslist for some quality ones because im not looking to spend very much on it.

I found a ludwig speed king w/ wood beater for $30 and a tama iron cobra jr. for $35

the SK is over 20 years old, and the tama is a little over 2 years old. The same guy is selling both. I called the guy and he told me that the SK still has a great action and does not squeak at all. The Tama is barely used, still in the box.

I dont think im going to be able to try these pedals beforehand, so I need to make a decision on one soon.

My music is punk/alternative/metal. I play fast and I like to incorporate triplets, double stroke rolls, etc. into my music. I went to my GC and i tried out the "new" iron cobra jr (which i liked) but they did not have an SK.

Which would be a better investment for me?

thanks!
If your choice is between these two...I'd get the IC...:)

dezertryder

Newbie here...greetings to all.

I had to chime in on this one, as I just received my 'brandy new' Speed King bass pedal. I'm just putting gear together to start playing again after 35+ years off. I do have almost twenty years time on a S-K though. Best pedal I ever put a foot on! The compression spring feel is different, and some folks just can't get past that. But it's fast and smooth, and easy to adjust.

About the 'squeaky' bad rap: Drummers of all musicians, need to have a little bit of mechanical ability to maintain and set-up their instrument. IMHO, if your pedals squeak, it's your own fault!

I paid $130...so what do you have to lose for $30 bucks? You could easily re-sell it for a profit if you didn't like it. The old ones are finished a bit better than the new ones. More material in the old castings as well. My two cents.

Dez