Which one of you is tapping out?

opentune

Platinum Member
Bermuda?..but no, he has has more cymbals than that, and he's never going to quit.
It pains me to see those vintage Slingerland snares stacked so high and teetering........

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
He’s full of it. You could probably sell all that on Craigslist/eBay/reverb, one item at a time, for 40K at most, and it would take a couple years to get rid of it all. There is no real profit to be made even if you bought it at 38K.

Reactions: TJK

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
That is whacked. Unless someone opening a used music store needs drums to open shop. Thats like a used car dealer wanting $100,000 for 40 of his cars at once.

IBitePrettyHard

Yikes. Yet another optimist on the internet. That collection is only worth a fraction of $37,000, and that's his starting bid? lol.

Unless there's some vintage Ludwig or Gretsch kits autographed by Buddy or Ringo hidden under there, It's highly unlikely anyone would ever buy the entire lot. I'd be surprised if anyone buys a lot like this for more than, I dunno, wild guess, $8000?

I was watching one of his auctions that included 3 snares and 21 cymbals. the highest bid was just over $50 and shipping was set at $599. the auction was cut short with about a day left. I was curious as to how high the bidding would have went.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Yikes. Yet another optimist on the internet. That collection is only worth a fraction of $37,000, and that's his starting bid? lol.

Unless there's some vintage Ludwig or Gretsch kits autographed by Buddy or Ringo hidden under there, It's highly unlikely anyone would ever buy the entire lot. I'd be surprised if anyone buys a lot like this for more than, I dunno, wild guess, $8000?
I was assuming that his kits would sell for an average of about $800 each, which may not be true. If they’re close to $400, then yeah, The whole collection wouldn’t even be work $20K.

But who knows? He might be sitting on a bunch of $1500 kits. I doubt it, but he might.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
The cymbals are probably worth at least $20k
Think about the hassle/expense of shipping them, putting ads up, etc.. The hardware is probably worth about 5K, but again, there’s the cost and hassle. You could maybe break even if you paid 38K and were patient enough to wait for the right buyers for the nicer stuff, but....no WAY am I interested in that much work, just to break even. He should have taken Guitar Center’s offer of 32K or whatever. Nobody is going to jump on this lot as a whole for more than 12K. I personally wouldn’t touch it for more than 8K myself, because of how busy I am and how annoyed the hassle would make me of selling it piece by piece.

IBitePrettyHard

He should have taken Guitar Center’s offer of 32K or whatever.
He said Guitar Center offered him "under 33k" which to me means they offered him $500 in store credit. :LOL:

There's no way they offered him even a remotely good deal. But I originally assumed the only cymbals were the ones in the picture...but he says there's 250 cymbals, so if most of them aren't B8s, that could raise the value significantly.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
He said Guitar Center offered him "under 33k" which to me means they offered him $500 in store credit. :LOL:

There's no way they offered him even a remotely good deal. But I originally assumed the only cymbals were the ones in the picture...but he says there's 250 cymbals, so if most of them aren't B8s, that could raise the value significantly.
If you worked very hard and were very patient, you could maybe get the 38K out of it all, depending on condition. But it would take minimum 2 years to do it. And then what did you gain, after all that?

drumr386

Being from the area I can tell you this has been on CL for no less than 3 years, maybe more like 5. To me this is just a lot of “stuff”. A few treasures might be in the pictures but the amount of time that has passed tells me it is just not worth what he’s asking. Any time I see drums piled like that, that is a sign of not really caring about what you have. To me, it’s a pass.

Same guy; https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/d/shrewsbury-drum-set-drums-collection/7072398390.html

KamaK

Platinum Member
This does indeed appear to be the Boston CL guy.

He would have much better luck inventorying his horde and listing items individually on eBay.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Imagine the shipping cost alone! Some nice things there, plus some crap. It'll sit for a good, long time and his price will drop accordingly.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
While I agree this is a bit ridiculous, if he took the cymbals and stuck them on CL with an average price of $100 each (less for the junk, more for the good), he could gross about $26,000. It would take time, but it could be done.

If he did the same with the drums, 26 sets at an average price of $500, that's $13,000.

Don't forget the pedals, hardware, and snares. I think if done right, this person could get what they want. Just not like this.