Which of these 3 pedals for speed and ease of playability?

Thanks for detailed answer, Tony. I'm going to buy the Yamaha FP-9500C and the Tama Speed Cobra HP910LN and, hopefully, keep the one that suits me and return the other. Will let you know when I get them both and do a side-by-side with my existing pedal.

I’ll say this about the Trick—-it’s the most easily-adjusted pedal I’ve ever used. You can make it have a heavier feel with more resistance, but it is meant to be a super-light fast pedal. I use their Dead Blow beater to give it a little more weight and volume. It does take some work to get used to, though.

I've just ordered the Tama Speed Cobra 910 and Yamaha FP9500C with the hope that one of them will suit me better than my current Tama. HP200.

yes, the Trick looks good and the price would not be too much of an issue, though bloody expensive for a milled bit of aluminium with a spring and few moving parts - ok, simplifying it a bit, but the parts and labour can't cost that much.

I contacted Trick and they were really helpful, but they replied and said that, and I quote "unfortunately our back orders currently are around two years". I'm in the UK, not sure what the state of play is in the USA where they are made, assuming they are made in the USA. Anyway, with all the variables: price (expensive) not available for a few more years and not one of the major brands (like Yamaha, not that this matters) I figured I'd leave Trick for another day way in the future perhaps.

Thanks for detailed answer, Tony. I'm going to buy the Yamaha FP-9500C and the Tama Speed Cobra HP910LN and, hopefully, keep the one that suits me and return the other. Will let you know when I get them both and do a side-by-side with my existing pedal.
I hope you find the right pedal for you with either of them. Good luck and keep us posted!

Ok, so I took delivery of the Tama Speed Cobra 910 and the Yamaha FP9500C. I played my Tama HP200 for a couple of minutes then I put on the Tama Speed Cobra 910 and played through two songs I'm familiar with and then stuck on the Yamaha FP9500C. I immediately felt the smoothness of the Yamaha, it was much smoother than the 910 and even more smoother than my HP200. I then took a break for 15 minutes and came back and spent 20 minutes swapping between the FP9500C and the 910. Both are really good, but I just felt the Yamaha was smoother, like liquid chocolate, just had a nice feel under the foot and felt a trifle lighter with the out-of-the-box settings. When I put the FP9500C and the 910 next to each other on the floor I pushed them down with my fingers of my hand and just spring the pedal board up and down a few times and the Yammy definitely feels silky smooth while the 910 had a bit of 'grittiness' about it and a few very subtle squeaks etc.

I played the Yammy for a few songs and then stuck my original HP200 back on and it was nowhere near as smooth or responsive as the Yamaha so I'm keeping the Yamaha 9500c and sending the Speed Cobra 910 back to Amazon for a refund. 910 comes with a nicer case though, in the style of a Pelicase, but not as tough as a Pelicase, while the Yamaha comes in a decent enough padded canvas case with reinforced walls, top and bottom.

I have the Yammy set with the spring quite lose at the moment, while I get a feel for it. But I suspect I might tighten it up once I get used to it and get a feel for it and, more importably, after I actually develop my kick technique a bit more as somebody on here mentioned that could be the issue and there is no doubt that is a part of it, but this pedal helps and it feels amazing. Oh, for sock and bare foot home practice the Yammy board is unbeatable, feels so smooth and nice!

Glad you found the pedal that is right for you. You definitely did the right thing by testing them out and taking the time to figure out which one fits your playing.

Congrats and enjoy the new pedal!

Back