which loudest/projection for piccolo snare?

Drum Guy

may be getting the new DW Pi 14x3.14 piccolo snare in one of the following woods - wondered which below would make for the loudest, best projection sonically?

Maple/Mahogany
Maple/Spruce
Birch
Cherry
Purple Heart
Cherry/Spruce
Cherry/Mahogany

thanks...thought so, but I've never heard the others in person and just wondered what they would project - anyone know if the others are a duller more muted sound than birch? I like sustain particularly...want to hear the wood continue, not a pop and then dies

Last edited:
Cherry. And if you want to hear the wood, then you need a deeper drum. Piccolos are notoriously dry. Thinner heads, looser snares, and fewer snare strands will help some.

thank you - good help re: thinner heads, loose snares etc...so cherry is good re: high to medium tuning in a shallow depth? (I know and understand what you're saying re: piccolo = dryer)

thank you - good help re: thinner heads, loose snares etc...so cherry is good re: high to medium tuning in a shallow depth? (I know and understand what you're saying re: piccolo = dryer)

Cherry is a bright, hard wood, with decent sustain. I think the main reason it doesn’t get used much is because it’s expensive, not very common, and doesn’t grow very large.

The loudest Piccolo I came across were Pearl Free floating piccolos, with brass shell. If you need a cutting snare sound, well, you have it.
I have one of those, picked it up on ebay with a stand for $240. Great snare

Last edited:
I've heard that about the pearls - I'd be interested except I was wanting to try wood piccolo but one that cuts as best as wood can

I would suggest auditioning the Birch, Cherry or Purple Heart models and decide for yourself between those three.
My personal vote would be for the Cherry primarily because of its tone in that size snare drum.
But the loudest cracking piccolo I've ever heard was a segmented Outlaw Purple Heart cranked way up. That thing would take your head off.

I would suggest auditioning the Birch, Cherry or Purple Heart models and decide for yourself between those three.
My personal vote would be for the Cherry primarily because of its tone in that size snare drum.
But the loudest cracking piccolo I've ever heard was a segmented Outlaw Purple Heart cranked way up. That thing would take your head off.

I bet the shell was really thick.

The harder the wood, the louder the drum. More energy is transmitted to the surrounding air and not absorbed into the wood fibers.

I have a acrylic piccolo and if you really need a loud drum, that drum is probably one of the loudest projecting snares you can buy. I really can only use it in huge rooms on big stages because it gets too loud sometimes. Great sound though, one of my favorites I just wish it was quieter

thanks for replies - yeah, I don't have a cherry or Purple Heart anything, would like to try one of those...the new DW Pi 14x3.14 isn't out til probably summer but I was going to order soon if I can decide.

The loudest Piccolo I came across were Pearl Free floating piccolos, with brass shell. If you need a cutting snare sound, well, you have it.
Yes sir. I picked up one today while I was out messing around. 20200222_213212-1008x490.jpg

It's not so much the thickness of the shell as it is the mass that makes a difference in projection/volume. So of those woods, assuming the same thickness, purpleheart would be the densest and heaviest. I'm not clear, though, on whether these are ply shells. If so, would that be all-purpleheart, or just an outer ply? I haven't seen details on this model.

I’ve got a 14” Free Floating piccolo with a Joe Montineri wood shell (maple, IIRC), and it cuts!

It's not so much the thickness of the shell as it is the mass that makes a difference in projection/volume. So of those woods, assuming the same thickness, purpleheart would be the densest and heaviest. I'm not clear, though, on whether these are ply shells. If so, would that be all-purpleheart, or just an outer ply? I haven't seen details on this model.

Density varies TREMENDOUSLY within even a single species. I’ve got some purpleheart sticks that feel bizarrely heavy and stiff. I’ve got another pair, pretty much the same size, that are close to maple in weight and flex.

Back