Which LM402?

TJK

I have always had problems having supras open up easily regarding the snares. I think the way they sound stock has a lot to be desired. I rally on in posts about the damn plastic straps but it is a big reason it sounds so dead .

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I guess I'm really the odd man out, but I run my 12 strand wires on plastic straps. I like a fairly dry snap and a lot of shell tone in most of my snares, but I've never really had any sensitivity issues with plastic straps.

TJK

I guess I'm really the odd man out, but I run my 12 strand wires on plastic straps. I like a fairly dry snap and a lot of shell tone in most of my snares, but I've never really had any sensitivity issues with plastic straps.
Well if you run them loose they do ok but they really choke up when tight. There’s a very small window of tension where the drum will go from choked to open with the plastic straps. The strings and fabric straps for that matter will give you a bigger window of openness if you will.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've used all three methods, and I'm still a big believer in grosgrain ribbon but on a couple drums I thought those sounded a bit choked so I pulled out some plastic straps and liked those enough to switch them out on a couple of my snares. I've never gotten along with string and even back when I used the older P-83 and P-85 designed for strings I worked a lot harder than I thought I needed to to get the snare wires evenly tensioned.

I wonder if our different impressions on plastic straps have to do with snare head tension. I tune my snare-side heads up quite high, and I feel like that leads to a much quicker snare response in general.