Which kit to use for my upcoming jazz gig?

Groov-E

Silver Member
Ok. But Dave Brubeck was a small jazz quartet, you know ;)

I think if you wear a 1950s style suit that would make you look more jazzy than the kit would.
+1 on the suit thing.

The drums you can play and any of them will sound like drums (and no one will notice anything except the colour).

But the suit will definitely impress everyone and class up the joint !

You'll be on that leader's speed dial list before you even start to set up.

TK-421

Dude, you bought all these so-called jazz sizes for what? To feel better about playing jazz. Might as well use the jazz sized bass drum. Otherwise, what's the use?
It's not to "feel better" about playing jazz. It's to do the job right. And yes, I will be playing a jazz-sized bass drum. My question was which one? My Yamaha kit with 18" bass (which will be somewhat of a pain-in-the-ass to get it ready for the gig and then get it ready again for apartment use), my Gretsch kit with 20" bass drum (which I'd have to go grab from my studio, but isn't that big of a deal), or buy the 18" and always have something ready to go (but I may end up only using it sparingly).

If the answer were as obvious as you think it is, I wouldn't have felt the need to pose the question.

TK-421

+1 on the suit thing.

The drums you can playc and of them will sound like drums and no one will notice.

But the suit will definitely impress everyone !
Ok. But Dave Brubeck was a small jazz quartet, you know ;)

I think if you wear a 1950s style suit that would make you look more jazzy than the kit would.
I already asked, and the gig is casual: a jeans and sneakers-type gig. And it's outdoors. So no suit, but I kinda liked that idea :)

And yes, I'm very familiar with the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Obviously the larger drums worked for Joe, but I already had one bad experience showing up with larger drums for a jazz situation, and I swore that would never happen again.

In case you're wondering, it was back in college when I was auditioning for the jazz ensemble. I showed up with my 22" bass drum, and the instructor, who was a drummer, made a pretty snide comment about that. It put me off my game and my audition tanked. He ended up putting me in a lower tier combo, and that's when I realized that I always need the right gear for the right gig.

So no 22" kick. Period.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Before I acquired my Sonor Safari I had a similar dilemma. I made a riser and converted my 16X16 floor tom into a kick-it was a little cannon and worked great for the jazz gig I had.

TK-421

Before I acquired my Sonor Safari I had a similar dilemma. I made a riser and converted my 16X16 floor tom into a kick-it was a little cannon and worked great for the jazz gig I had.
I'd thought about that. But since I have other options, for me there's really no point, considering my situation.

In all honesty, I'm now leaning heavily toward using my Gretsch kit with the 20" kick. And if it turns into an ongoing gig, I'll immediately buy that 18".

How do you like the Safari, BTW.

force3005

Silver Member
Hi TK, I have played jazz gigs on a 24" and had no problems. Just had to adjust by foot technique (touch) a little. You could buy a Bomber base drum beater. This beater is made for playing jazz and big band and would work fine with your 22".

D

drumming sort of person

I showed up with my 22" bass drum, and the instructor, who was a drummer, made a pretty snide comment about that.
I would have asked him if he felt Tony sounded okay playing jazz with a 24" bass drum.

newoldie

Silver Member
I'd thought about that. But since I have other options, for me there's really no point, considering my situation.

In all honesty, I'm now leaning heavily toward using my Gretsch kit with the 20" kick. And if it turns into an ongoing gig, I'll immediately buy that 18".

How do you like the Safari, BTW.
I like the Sonor Safari I bought in 2012 and use it for small gigs, although I don't play straight jazz. I just used it this afternoon for a trio blues jam, no mics.
I've even used it for a rock group, but have the bass drum mic'd. The toms work quite well with the right heads (single ply) but the snare is better replaced.

Josidiah

I think there's only one answer here: use your Yamaha's. They are the drums for the job. It maybe a pita to dissamble the kit and set it up again, but I wouldn't think twice about it.

Some extra physical work is nothing compared to leaving your performance disappointed with your own sound.

TK-421

I think there's only one answer here: use your Yamaha's. They are the drums for the job. It maybe a pita to dissamble the kit and set it up again, but I wouldn't think twice about it.

Some extra physical work is nothing compared to leaving your performance disappointed with your own sound.
Just when I was about decided to go with the Gretsch and my 20", suddenly the voice of reason I was looking for. Yes, in this situation I think the Yamahas will be best. As great as the Renowns are, I tuned up my 14" floor tom to a jazz tuning last night, and boy is it loud! Sounds great, no doubt, but much louder than I remember the Yamahas being at that tuning. And this is will definitely be a low volume gig.

So now I think my choice has been made. As much of a pita as it will be, I think it's the right call. Plus, it'd be kinda nice to play it as a jazz kit again; it's been a couple years since I've been able to do that.

TK-421

For a jazz gig, casual means suit.

Formal means tux.

Way more important thant bd size.
Wow, it's getting hard to believe how people keep treating me like an absolute moron. I'm not some noob with his first jazz gig ever; I've been playing for 35 years, but with my gear changes over the last few years, I'm down to just one jazz kit—which has now been transformed into a low-volume apartment kit.

But everyone keeps assuming that I have no clue about jazz, and it's starting to get really irritating. The FIRST thing I did when I accepted the gig was to ask about the dress code, because I was wondering if I should be wearing my suit.

I asked the bassist, he specifically said JEANS AND SNEAKERS!

It's not my "interpretation" of casual, it's what I was specifically told.

I was only asking for advice on which option to use to get a workable jazz kit, but this has somehow devolved into a few people thinking they're going to "school" me on jazz. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm fine there.

Groov-E

Silver Member
Wow, it's getting hard to believe how people keep treating me like an absolute moron. I'm not some noob with his first jazz gig ever; I've been playing for 35 years, but with my gear changes over the last few years, I'm down to just one jazz kit—which has now been transformed into a low-volume apartment kit.

But everyone keeps assuming that I have no clue about jazz, and it's starting to get really irritating. The FIRST thing I did when I accepted the gig was to ask about the dress code, because I was wondering if I should be wearing my suit.

I asked the bassist, he specifically said JEANS AND SNEAKERS!

It's not my "interpretation" of casual, it's what I was specifically told.

I was only asking for advice on which option to use to get a workable jazz kit, but this has somehow devolved into a few people thinking they're going to "school" me on jazz. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm fine there.
I'm sorry it came out wrong, It was ntended as a joke pushing your buttons as you clearly stated it was out of the question you were going in a suit. Heck I am supposed to wear a suit to work and I don't, imagine on a gig ! I actually never wore a tux, maybe I would if I was invited to Buckingham Palace....maybe.

I am absolutely certain you are going to kill it wether you wear a tux and use a 16in leedy bass drum or a white tanktop and swimming trunks sporting a 7 pcs tama b/b with a 24/18 heavy artillery kick.

Do it, have fun en enjoy every moment of it !

TK-421

I'm sorry it came out wrong, It was ntended as a joke pushing your buttons as you clearly stated it was out of the question you were going in a suit. Heck I am supposed to wear a suit to work and I don't, imagine on a gig ! I actually never wore a tux, maybe I would if I was invited to Buckingham Palace....maybe.

I am absolutely certain you are going to kill it wether you wear a tux and use a 16in leedy bass drum or a white tanktop and swimming trunks sporting a 7 pcs tama b/b with a 24/18 heavy artillery kick.

Do it, have fun en enjoy every moment of it !
No worries, sorry I got a bit defensive there. And I'm actually very glad that it's casual (of the jeans and sneakers variety), as I hate playing even in long sleeves, much less a suit. Especially outdoors, where it can get pretty warm.

I've been going through a number of jazz standards today (it's been about 2 years since my last jazz gig, which is why I converted my bop kit into an apartment kit), and now I'm about ready to swap heads on my Yamahas and get them tuned up for tomorrow.

I think it's the right call.

Josidiah

Just when I was about decided to go with the Gretsch and my 20", suddenly the voice of reason I was looking for. Yes, in this situation I think the Yamahas will be best. As great as the Renowns are, I tuned up my 14" floor tom to a jazz tuning last night, and boy is it loud! Sounds great, no doubt, but much louder than I remember the Yamahas being at that tuning. And this is will definitely be a low volume gig.

So now I think my choice has been made. As much of a pita as it will be, I think it's the right call. Plus, it'd be kinda nice to play it as a jazz kit again; it's been a couple years since I've been able to do that.
I thought you already knew the answer, but needed someone to simply point at it in a decisive manner lol. Glad to be of help however small it may be, hope you enjoy the gig.

Groov-E

Silver Member
No worries, sorry I got a bit defensive there. And I'm actually very glad that it's casual (of the jeans and sneakers variety), as I hate playing even in long sleeves, much less a suit. Especially outdoors, where it can get pretty warm.

I've been going through a number of jazz standards today (it's been about 2 years since my last jazz gig, which is why I converted my bop kit into an apartment kit), and now I'm about ready to swap heads on my Yamahas and get them tuned up for tomorrow.

I think it's the right call.
Cheers my friend, have fun !

TK-421

I thought you already knew the answer, but needed someone to simply point at it in a decisive manner lol. Glad to be of help however small it may be, hope you enjoy the gig.
My original thought when I accepted the gig was to use my Yamahas. But then being the overly analytical person that I am, I began to think of all possible solutions. Then my internal analytics kicked into overdrive, and I just couldn't decide which option I wanted to go with.

But now I've got the Yamahas all tuned up with real heads — coated Ambassadors top and bottom, coated PS3 on the kick batter and a Fiberskyn on the front with felt strip — and they sound great. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

thebarak

If you just take your Yamaha kit and switch the heads, it will be a good chance to dust and clean the "tight space" and polish up the Yamahas. Worth an hour of your time to get it out and to later put it back how it was etc.

Leaving something setup permanently sounds easy, but you always have to shake things up to keep it fresh.

Oh.... I see you already took that kit, as in before my comment. Oops.

Last edited: