Good point. Also:But why exactly?
Is it the larger fee that Ebay takes? Conflict resolution and customer service?
Also, there seems to be a distinction between BUYING and SELLING on these platforms. Is it mostly sellers that do the complaining?
I've bought plenty of things on Ebay and had no problems. I've never sold anything on Ebay though.
EDIT: This kinda answers the question.
When I buy musical instruments or the like on Ebay, I've purchased from DCP, Sweetwater (awesome, and in my state), Music 123, Cascio, etc. If you pay attention to whom you buy from, it's very safe. I've also purchased from individuals--once again, paying attention is the key (I will NOT buy from anyone with less than 98%, unless it's a situation where they have 92% feedback, but one negative feedback and 13 positive total, something like that).Good point. Also:
1. Use of Reverb-bucks bypasses Paypal fees.
2. Much lower fee compared to eBay.
3. The "make an offer" model leads to quicker sales and better deals than eBay's "But It Now" or waiting for an auction to end.
4. Physical, actual music stores often have a Reverb site. I can buy sticks and heads, and actually support a store, rather than some nameless, faceless broker. This comes in very handy when discussing returns or exchanges.
5. Just my impression here, but sellers seem to "dream" less about getting 95% of full price for used items.
So much of it is at best, an online retail outlet for big stores (to be fair, Reverb has this too) and at worst, a lot of people acting as individual drop shipment companies. So many times I've bought something on there only for it to arrive in an Amazon Prime box.I wish they’d kept to their original auction site. I began using them in the late 90s and it was great. Now it’s a chore to sell there.
Are you listing shells only on Craigslist? I once bought a kit from Craigslist. When I arrived to pick it up the guy told me that he had it listed as shells only for a long time and got no response. Then he added a hi hat stand, kick pedal and cymbal stand, bumped up the price to cover those and the responses started coming in. I was looking for a second kit to leave at a practice space so I too responded because of the fuller package.
YMMV but that might be a thing.