Which forums have you stopped visiting/contributing?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Express an opinion and we can get drama on here. I like really deep down we are a dysfunctional family who hold each other with disdain and a general lack of respect . But we all still love drums so that stuff don’t matter .

Quai34

Visited every day
This one and Drummerword,
Before it was Nord Forum et Gearslutz, I still visit them but way less as I'm more focused on drums these days.
and that's it, no instagram, no Facebook etc

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
.What has happened, through political polarization, is that some members are savvy enough to weaponize thanking mods and putting Likes on mod posts and striking up PM relationships with mods or forging a report button Bromance to their advantage..

Thats why i actually like the “likes”-system..

There is this one guy on here with who i had an argument (most by pm) and he exactly acts like that..

I wont mention anyones name and (hopefully) he has me on ignore anyway, but amuses me a lot each time i see this..🙂

Hypocrites are everywhere to be found, nice and decent people too..

This place is no exception to that..

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I've already said I don't see any of that here and I'm not referring to anyone here, but obviously I need to post that again. Done. Did you read it this time?

This is where adult conversation falls apart. Because now I "have a problem" for honestly stating an opinion. An opinion.

An opinion that simply says I don't think moderators on the whole should have the ability to give and receive likes. And that's because they're not just members anymore. They're members with judicial power who can edit and delete content, as well as ban members. I don't see where and how Likes won't be weaponized by *some* people. Because people are just gonna people.

But this is just an opinion. Not an edict, not indictment, not a request for that to happen, and not meant to put anyone on the defensive.
Opinion accepted as opinion. There was a time, some may remember, that "likes", smilie faces, and posts less than 20 characters were not part of the forum. Most of this changed with the new edition or format . And I will guarantee you that me liking a thread is a "johnny" thing and not a moderator thing. As Andy said, a "you" thing. I would much prefer a forum where the mods took part and didn't just sit back and judge. It's not fun. If you knew how difficult it was to replace "Notha" and "Dogbreath" when they religuished their mod roles, it would surprise you. This only a reply to Old Pit Guys ideas and not him individually.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You keep going back to this reductionist non-sequitur of the Like button being a human issue when all I've done is state an opinion on the feature. Take the ass-pat feature away from those in authority and you completely remove any possible perception of bias or partiality within authority. That's the entirety of my opinion. And it wasn't directed at anyone here.

And if that wasn't good enough, now people who've labored under difficult social media environments "want to be part of something that makes them mad." I could ask you, do you enjoy irritating people by telling them they have problems? Because that's pretty much all you've done in this thread so far from my best, honest and objective reading of it.

I understand your viewpoint and I respect your right to have it. And what I've received for that is (1) I have a problem, (2) I enjoy being angry and (3) I'm in a quest to be right for simply writing I don't think mods should have Like buttons. Jeez Louise!
Would it be better, as a mod, to not "like" a thread, and write a 50 word post on why I agree? "Liking". is only a short cut tool in my mind. I must also say that I am a Mod on one other site , and use the like feature there as well. And before becoming a mod here, this fiesty old fart was threatened with bannishment more than once.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to anyone here. I don't see any of that. But it exists at some of the other places mentioned - I've witnessed it.
Isn't this the important part? A general observation and not a full-blown critique of DW.
I do believe that it CAN be a problem, though. For example, I'm not on Reddit but I see many complaints about people being banned for next to no nothing, while other members can post outrageous stuff for months. It's a problem you should be aware of but this place is pretty alright.

felonious69

I like what I like and have my opinions, about a lot of things.
I know what is allowed here and it is not my "house" so I try to comply with the rules.
It's pretty simple really.
I spent a lot of time being angry...it sucks!
Happy Memorial Day...to those who recognize it. Happy whatever day to everyone else.
I guess "Happy" isn't the right word, but I think/hope you get my meaning.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I like what I like and have my opinions, about a lot of things.
I know what is allowed here and it is not my "house" so I try to comply with the rules.
It's pretty simple really.
I spent a lot of time being angry...it sucks!
Happy Memorial Day...to those who recognize it. Happy whatever day to everyone else.
I guess "Happy" isn't the right word, but I think/hope you get my meaning.
Thank for that, and yes I am on a one man mission to try and end the Happy part, since this is a solemn event and not really happy. But all is cool. Thanks

felonious69

I'm gonna report you all to that Andy dude...He's freakin' MEAN!

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Sadly all the forums I used to visit have either died or been shut down, with a couple of exceptions.

Places like musician forums, the RPG Toolkit forum (a game creation software I used to use), different gaming forums, etc.....all no longer exist, or perhaps exist as tiny Discord communities.

The only place I used to frequent quite a bit but I haven't been an active participant in years is homerecording.com. They're still around, but I just don't visit there anymore.

Drummerworld is interesting because I signed up way back in 2005 when the forums were brand new, but I didn't come back here until about 5-6 years ago, after all the other communities I was a part of died.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Thanks also to those who do and have served!
That's Veteran's Day. Memorial Day is to honor those who died serving. (not to be snarky, that's just what Gruntersdad was referencing.)

Circling back to the OP -
I am still somewhat active here, and occasionally post on a firearms forum, too.

I have never been a huge discussion forum denizen to begin with, but two I belonged to and have since dropped are a traditional archery forum and, ahem, an adult forum. Times change. ;)

As for other types of social media, I grudgingly continue on FB because my fam is on there. Honestly, I have almost everyone set to "unfollow," so I don't really participate much. I looked at Twitter for about .6 seconds before noping it, and on IG I just look at pretty pictures and listen to drum vids.

Quai34

Who's gonna tell him that this IS Drummerworld?
Oups, I thought I was on Drumforum!!!! Sorry guys, hey, I'm just the keys player, cannot be that sharp!!!!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Drummerword is that slightly abbreviated version of Drummerworld.
I don't visit much there anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: A J

zenstat

I don't do any anti social media.

I was on Cymbalholic since maybe 2003. I was a moderator for many years, then an admin and the sole active moderator. I resigned after being trolled by some guy who posted links to far right wing conspiracy sites at least daily which I had to keep tidying up. When he wasn't doing that he posted incomprehensible gibberish posing as a sage who was very knowledgeable. He did his best to undermine all my research work. Occasionally he posted something useful, but not often enough to make up for all the rest. I didn't feel comfortable just banning him so I left it up to Chad. Chad closed the forum. Sorry to my friends who would have wished Cymbalholic to continue.

I left VDF a year ago and have never missed it. It had reached peak stupid. Unsurprisingly, the same guy was one of the gang of 5 who drove me away.

I've left DFO several times. First it was posting holidays. Finally I closed my zenstat account account April 17, 2020 after disagreements over moderation standards. Once again the same individual was the main reason. He seemed to be given a free pass to post right wing conspiracy theories. As far as cymbals go he can make up misleading stuff faster than I can do proper research to refute it. It felt like I didn't have control of my research program. Later I created an account called cymbal.wiki on DFO for a specific purpose.

The cymbal.wiki account was created as way to post links into the wiki (or my older site) when there is already an answer to questions which I don't feel are getting quality answers. The idea was to concentrate on building wiki pages rather than posting on DFO, and then just post a link with no other comment. That hasn't worked out either, as I kept getting sucked in. The cymbal.wiki account stopped posting 22 April 2021, once again after disagreements over moderation standards and their ongoing refusal to do anything about ... the same guy ... who keeps trolling me and undermining my work.

On Drummerworld I only read and post in the Cymbal section. I'm a bit specialized. ;) But I did happen to see this and thought it could also provide people who don't know me with some background.

Last edited: