Which forums have you stopped visiting/contributing?

toddmc

Gold Member
VDrums forum for me.
Still the best forum on the interwebs for any technical issues you might be having with your e-drums but that was also the problem for me- 95% of the discussions were about technical issues and not so much about drumming itself (which is why I came here in the first place).

felonious69

I am felonious69 on here, talkbass and homerecording.com.

The physical layout of homerecording seems almost exactly the same as this forum.
I haven't quite figured out yet where (there) to post specific questions, and as is still kinda the case here the "Jargon" is new to me (had to look up VST...among other things)

I bought a Zoom B1Four bass effects pedal and found an AWESOME thread regarding that on talkbass! Like here, there are also some cool and hilarious people there.

Here, I believe I obtained the most useful information out of all three, mainly because I had ZERO drum idea when I got here...So thanks all!

Almost forgot...a WHILE BACK, I was on Paltalk. I actually met a girl on there and we dated for about a year...She'd come up here (WI)...I'd go down there (IL)...We were talking on the phone one night and she threatened to kill me in my sleep. She was fun, but I had to stop seeing her.

Last edited:

Neal Pert

I was on drumset.com WAY back in the day. That one died.
Next, the Evans drum forum, which was the Wild, Wild West. Also died.
Drumsmith, but mostly buying/selling. Left when the moderation got overly paranoid.
Cymbalholic, where I was a moderator. That one died and came back to life, then died again. Still miss it.
Drumforum.org; left a few months ago-- got really Trumpy and it ended up amplifying really un-helpful voices. Most of the people I liked there were also leaving, so it was time.

I'm on Facebook and a little on Instagram, but not too big on social media.

I was a part of a commercial lawnmower forum on Facebook when I first got my mower last year. Never in my life have I seen such a huge pi$$ing contest in my life. No one ever answered my questions (which were fairly simple), and everyone was comparing their "fleet" of zero-turn mowers with everyone else and showing their pics of striped yards. What a crummy little group of people.
Was it something like this?

iCe

Oh i forgot to mention the forum on DMdrummer (now called alesisDRUMMER apparently). When i still had my DM10 setup i posted there to solve some issues etc.
Really helpful, but besides that didn't have a click with it.

Al Strange

This is my one and only forum. I honestly think that this community would be able to solve pretty much all drums and drumming related issues. :unsure: (y):D I also like the banter here and lol at some of the discussions we get into. The moderators are great and keep the forum on track when things get too prickly or inappropriate! 😂 I’ve always felt very welcome here and think you’re a great crowd. Cheers all!(y):D

PS. I don’t do social media at all but do watch YouTube (I don’t upload).

Old PIT Guy

I stopped going to DFO a year or two ago. The owner and the mods are on one end of the political spectrum and they refuse to acknowledge when users on “their team” break the no-politics no-religion rules. It’s too bad because they have the most old guys with deep historical knowledge of drum details, like if you want to know what size of washers were original to a Latvian drum from 1958, someone there will know. But those same old guys are very racist and pig headed about their politics.

Forums always evolve to reflect their ownership if they're not equitably (or competently) governed.

felonious69

I have a LinkedIn profile,
Same here
What's worse is that companies whose jobs I have applied for on there routinely don't acknowledge or reply to applicants.
I like my current job, but out of curiosity, and to keep my options open, I click on some of the jobs posted there and almost always they are "no longer accepting applications"....but they keep coming back up...the same jobs.

LinkedIn has never actually proven useful to me yet, and I don't actually remember when I (or if) I even signed up there.

felonious69

(Still trying to picture a riding mower gang)

Get yer mower runnin'
Crosshatch on the yard-way
Shorts and socks and sandals
And my beer gut's on display

Yeah darlin' gonna make it happen
Take this lawn as my Man-cave space
'Nother beer's gonna make me happy
Sunburn on my face

CHORUS:
Mowin' my yard...

(Sorry...had to type it out or it will bother me all day at work)

EDIT: Half hour later...Off to work, and it's still gonna bother me.

(Next morning....yup...it bothered me:)

I like smokin’ Luckys

Husquevarna thunder

Mulchin any weeds

And any gophers that get under

Yeah, runnin’ 20 Shetland power

Shoulda seen the grin on my face

Side lawn in less than half an hour

BUT, toys all over the place

And I was blue…and I just sighed

Cuz I have to…dismount my ride

And I just cussed so loud…young child even cried!

Mowin' me yard

Last edited:

Thin Shell

I stopped going to DFO a year or two ago. The owner and the mods are on one end of the political spectrum and they refuse to acknowledge when users on “their team” break the no-politics no-religion rules. It’s too bad because they have the most old guys with deep historical knowledge of drum details, like if you want to know what size of washers were original to a Latvian drum from 1958, someone there will know. But those same old guys are very racist and pig headed about their politics.

I left Facebook years ago, it is just awful how it programs people. I honestly think FB has a lot of responsibility for the terrible state of the world today.
I gave up on dfo a few months ago. For the second time. Your post is so on point, I could have written it myself. I got tired of certain members getting special treatment for their bad behavior because they were "sensitive", because they contributed money, or because they had the same ideology as the owner and mods. It got to the point that I felt like I was in Goodfellas waiting for an ice pick to the back of the head whenever I talked to one of the mods, in particular. It was so obvious he was playing me.

I used to be on Drumsmith. I liked most of the members there. It was small and intimate. I eventually achieved "forgotten clown" status when I called out the owner on some of his behavior.

I have never been on any other social media. I was suspicious of most of it from the start and I have not regretted my decision at all.

I am a member of vintagedrumforum.com. It's pretty dead now but there is enough discussion to make it worth visiting.

I have visited a few other forums when I need information on some specific item I am working on. Mainly home audio or various antique forums.

No forum is perfect but I have to say that drummerworld forum has a very good moderation team. I have never talked to any of them but you can tell when a board's moderation is on the ball or asleep at the switch. The mods here are on the ball and I very much appreciate that.

Neal Pert

I gave up on dfo a few months ago. For the second time. Your post is so on point, I could have written it myself. I got tired of certain members getting special treatment for their bad behavior because they were "sensitive", because they contributed money, or because they had the same ideology as the owner and mods. It got to the point that I felt like I was in Goodfellas waiting for an ice pick to the back of the head whenever I talked to one of the mods, in particular. It was so obvious he was playing me.

I used to be on Drumsmith. I liked most of the members there. It was small and intimate. I eventually achieved "forgotten clown" status when I called out the owner on some of his behavior.

I have never been on any other social media. I was suspicious of most of it from the start and I have not regretted my decision at all.

I am a member of vintagedrumforum.com. It's pretty dead now but there is enough discussion to make it worth visiting.

I have visited a few other forums when I need information on some specific item I am working on. Mainly home audio or various antique forums.

No forum is perfect but I have to say that drummerworld forum has a very good moderation team. I have never talked to any of them but you can tell when a board's moderation is on the ball or asleep at the switch. The mods here are on the ball and I very much appreciate that.

Man, DFO has a lot of refugees. Who were you over there?

Old PIT Guy

I'm sensing a theme about to go from motif to vamp!

I still post there on occasion because I decided that if simply voicing an honest opinion with no personal malice irritates people like that then I'm all for it. They've run roughshod over everything from commonsense to science as it is. A little reaping and sowing can't possibly hurt the budding insurrectionist tough guys.

Forums always evolve to reflect their ownership if they're not equitably (or competently) governed.
I have moderated a few lists/boards in my time and I can tell you it is hard and thankless work and there are so many times when there are absolutely no truly good solutions, just various shades of bad. Which is to say—and I've PM'd this previously to a few of the mods on here—major props to the mods and to Bernhard for providing us with such a stellar joint, and oodles and boodles of thanks for all their hard work.

Neal Pert

I have moderated a few lists/boards in my time and I can tell you it is hard and thankless work and there are so many times when there are absolutely no truly good solutions, just various shades of bad. Which is to say—and I've PM'd this previously to a few of the mods on here—major props to the mods and to Bernhard for providing us with such a stellar joint, and oodles and boodles of thanks for all their hard work.
It's a lot harder than it looks, for sure. Five years moderating on cymbalholic was enough even though it was a small forum. Kudos to the moderators here. You've been basically invisible since I've been here and I've been impressed by the lack of drama.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member

I've heard of some mods receiving some pretty serious threats from board members before. There's no way I'd do it (well, for free anyways!).

petrez

Well, before Facebook, I used several forums. PDF, Drumchat, Tama forum, Harmony Central, Paiste forum, as well as some local norwegian drum forums (I was a moderator for one of those as well). Something happened around the time Facebook become popular, and most of the forums seemed to die out, as far as I see it. I checked in on PDF once in a while, but never got more than maybe one reply to anything, and almost nothing interesting get posted, so I lost interest. Seems to me this forum is way more active and stir up some nice conversations, so I intend to stay for now :). Oh, and I have no intentions on leaving FB. I need it to promote my band, and keep a relatively close bond to relatives/friends living far away. Maybe I am lucky and don't have all the weirdo friends that post junk all the time, I don't know. Don't have a big aversion for it as it seems like a lot of the members here have...

Last edited:

Ryan Culberson

Drummer Cafe - was around till the great mod squeeze sucked all the fun out of that room.

Cymbalholic - my favorite forum. Really miss that one.

DFO - exact same story as a few others on this thread. Lots of knowledge there but overall vibe is a total buzzkill.

Vintage drum forum - I’m still technically a member there but use it mainly as an archive.

Dropped all social media (FB, Insta) at the beginning of Covid. Just felt like the right time. Haven’t regretted that decision one bit.

Neal Pert

Drummer Cafe - was around till the great mod squeeze sucked all the fun out of that room.

Cymbalholic - my favorite forum. Really miss that one.

DFO - exact same story as a few others on this thread. Lots of knowledge there but overall vibe is a total buzzkill.

Vintage drum forum - I’m still technically a member there but use it mainly as an archive.

Dropped all social media (FB, Insta) at the beginning of Covid. Just felt like the right time. Haven’t regretted that decision one bit.
Nice to see you here, Ryan!