Which drumset voice keeps the time?

greenstar323

Your question will be answered, the more you delve into the Fatback exercise... :)
LOL this is exactly what I'm afraid of... because what if it's not answered! Then I will feel like I'm really doing something wrong and I will be back on here posting about it.

Chaffee is an idiosyncratic character. The books are great, but I wouldn't worry too much about his philosophical comments, either they will make sense to you or they won't, just get to practicing, that's the important part.

cornelius

Silver Member
LOL this is exactly what I'm afraid of... because what if it's not answered! Then I will feel like I'm really doing something wrong and I will be back on here posting about it.
Patience, grasshopper.... :)

The Fatback exercise, IMO, is great - I think he uses the term “time feel” instead of “beat”. This is a helpful way to think of grooves. Switching up the hihat/ride cymbal figures is not just an exercise in independence, but a way to open up your playing, deepen your groove and improve your time...

Skrivarna

Although originally I was taught to use a heel up rocking foot technique on the hi hat to keep time.
Which is a very old school, big band, jazz way of playing.
For myself, I try to keep a pulse with my hi-hat heel, and the rest of me just follows that. It's the one piece/limb that tends to be straight ahead most of the time, and therefore easiest for my brain to have it be my (fairly) auto-pilot metronome.
I'm with Bermuda on this one, and have some kind of "always-rocking-hihat-heel" regardless of music genre. Not only is it a great way of keeping time it also allows you to seamlessly and gradually add or remove some texture to the hihat rhythm.

I think this heel thing was also mentioned in the Billy Ward Big Time video, I need to check it out when I get home.

cornelius

Silver Member
I'm with Bermuda on this one, and have some kind of "always-rocking-hihat-heel" regardless of music genre. Not only is it a great way of keeping time it also allows you to seamlessly and gradually add or remove some texture to the hihat rhythm.

I think this heel thing was also mentioned in the Billy Ward Big Time video, I need to check it out when I get home.
Billy calls them “mechanisms” - it’s a way to fill in the holes or keep a steady pulse going with some part of your body, that no one will actually hear.

Skrivarna

Billy calls them “mechanisms” - it’s a way to fill in the holes or keep a steady pulse going with some part of your body, that no one will actually hear.
Yup, “mechanisms” it is. Great DVD (Big Time) by the way, I really like the part where he drive his spouse mad by drumming at the driving wheel - I can recognize that...

BruceW

Sometimes I've been know to take my foot off the hi hat and keep the heel going on the floor, just to help me keep my time and rhythm, if the song didn't call for the hi hat to keep clicking