Which Drums to Buy

Hi,
Ok, I feel a little guilty but my wife & I just had a small lottery win on a scratch off ticket. No, we're not moving into a mansion or anything like that, it wasn't that big, but I am going to get a new kit-shells only. She wants a new set of golf clubs.

My question is, If money isn't really a problem for a 4pc drum kit or 5pc with 2 floor toms, which brand/model would you purchase?
I prefer a smaller size kick, say 20" and somewhat shallow toms, not the big 80's type stuff.
Primarily I play material like (and this is generalizing) Toto, Steely Dan, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson. Rocky-Jazz if you want to call it something.
My current kit is a Sonor Hybrid X-Tend Limited Edition.
I know this is all a personal thing but any suggestions would be welcome.

If you like Sonor upgrade those. The vintage series are all kind of nice and are in the sizes you want.

Once you get to the top lines of all drum companies they all sound amazing, just down to personal preference then. You'll get tons of different suggestions asking here!

Personally I'm a Mapex and Ludwig guy, I like to play stuff similar to you and play kit sizes the same as well too.

I'd buy the exact four-piece set I have now -- a Pearl Session Studio Select. If it were stolen or damaged this evening, I'd order the same kit tomorrow. That's how much I like it.

Ok, I feel a little guilty but my wife & I just had a small lottery win on a scratch off ticket.

My question is, If money isn't really a problem for a 4pc drum kit or 5pc with 2 floor toms, which brand/model would you purchase?

If I were Canadian, I'd look at a GeorgeWay and a set of Sabian HH's. Great kits and cymbals, and you won't be paying $500 in import duties.

my thoughts,go on you tube and listen to many different makes,sizes,and shell types of drums in your price range. then right down the kits which their sounds,connect with you,also check out the set up hardware and see which ones seem the best for your style of playing. you may narrow down your choices with this. good luck hope this helps.

i'd go with somethin that took my ear and played fantastically.
Exactly, You never know, you might find something that is not your budgets ceiling. Meaning you can find a set your really on board with and have money for upgrades and what not.

To directly respond to question, I say Pearl Session Studio Select.
My experience with aforementioned example is such; I had a chance to get Pearl Masters, was going for Red Vermillion Sparkle.
A YouTube vid or two swayed my opinion to the Session Studio Select series that I’m sure is going to be more gratifying.
I ordered and have the balance between the two series to get some Pearl hardware and new heads that are waiting to be put on.

Last edited:
I can't relate to any kick that's smaller than 22" so you're on your own there. I would think you'd have some kind of inkling about what kind of drums (brand,shell composition,aesthetics etc.) you want to buy. Go look around. Why let unrepentant scoundrels like us tell you what you should buy?

A YouTube vid or two swayed my opinion to the Session Studio Select series that I’m sure is going to be more gratifying.

And it will be more gratifying. I've owned Masters sets as well but prefer the Session Studio Select series. Prepare for satisfaction.

Last edited:
I'd say buy the ones that sound best to you and look the way you want. I wouldn't buy just by brand name. I've played a lot of Ludwigs and some were good others not. Was attracted to DW because "everyone" told me they were great. I found that PDP were just as good and some sets even sounded better. Gretsch are nice .Pearl actually dollar to dollar are the best. I love older kits especially Slingerland. So what are you attracted to? That's the direction you need to go.

If money isn't an issue i would probably get a Tama Starclassic maple or birch/walnut. 22" bass, 10 & 12" toms, 16 & 18" floor toms
Or totally go nuts and get that Ayotte I've been wanting since 2003 or so :ROFLMAO:

I would visit as many drum stores as you can and play whatever you can before making a decision. Heck, go do some factory tours if you would like.

My short answer though is Ludwig Classic maple - 20x14 kick, 12x8 rack, 14x14 & 16x14(or 16) floor toms in some sort of sparkle wrap.

I'd try to buy used so you can maybe have some money left over for a nice snare and/or some great cymbals.

Oriollo Bakar spun copper or a Blaemire Jenkins-Martin with Inde hardware. Something a little different.

I'd buy this Yahama PHX kit if I were you. That's my suggestion-then let me borrow it LOL.
Yamaha PHX Gloss Black Sunburst 5 Piece Drum Set | DCP

If you don't know what you want, don't buy anything until you know exactly what you want.

Figure out the shell thickness and wood you want and go from there.

My best suggestion for the OP is do their own homework and investigation . Determine a few drum sets in their price range that they are interested in , then check out reviews on line , YouTube videos etc. If the OP makes their own decision based on their own criteria and wants they will be happier than if they settled on a kit someone on here has suggested .
This is not to say that listening to advice is not of value , it may suggest some options the OP has never considered .

Last edited:
Back