Which Cymbal I should buy

TomS

Hello, I want to buy new cymbal but I dont know which one I should pick. I want to play Rock, Funk, Jazz, Swing (Sometimes metal ) But my Main styles are Rock and Jazz. And now its difficult because these are very different styles. Can someone help me? I am choosing between Meinl Pure Alloy 20 or 22 and Paiste 900 series Ride 22. Which one is better for my purpose. I will appreciate every single opinion because its big investment. I am also worried because if I will pick pure alloy and I will be hitting it hard when playing metal Can it crack easily? Because its more Jazz cymbal I think.

Pure Alloy it the professional cymbal. The 900 isn't.

A cymbal will only crack if you hit it wrong, if you play with glancing blows you're fine. If you're hitting into the cymbal, it's an expensive way to find out your playing them wrong!

Personally I'd get a used medium 2002, A Medium, AA. They're readily available for a steal and are very versatile. You might even have enough cash left over to buy a ting and ding ride for metal if you need a manhole cover ride ;) Heavy rides are very cheap used at the moment.

I'd say this is something you can't ask advice on. We don't know your tastes and preferences. If you don't know what you want, how could we? You are not ready to buy yet that's for sure. I'd put in the time at mycymbal.com and figure it out for yourself what you want. It is a process. It's kind of like saying, which girl will turn me on if I date her? Only you can answer that. Your ears, your choice.

Pure Alloy it the professional cymbal. The 900 isn't.

A cymbal will only crack if you hit it wrong, if you play with glancing blows you're fine. If you're hitting into the cymbal, it's an expensive way to find out your playing them wrong!

Personally I'd get a used medium 2002, A Medium, AA. They're readily available for a steal and are very versatile. You might even have enough cash left over to buy a ting and ding ride for metal if you need a manhole cover ride ;) Heavy rides are very cheap used at the moment.
I dont want cymbal for metal I play it very rarely I was just thinking which one of these cymbals is better for more styles.
And thanks a lot Your advice really helped me It wi be easier for me now to decide

I'd say this is something you can't ask advice on. We don't know your tastes and preferences. If you don't know what you want, how could we? You are not ready to buy yet that's for sure. I'd put in the time at mycymbal.com and figure it out for yourself what you want. It is a process. It's kind of like saying, which girl will turn me on if I date her? Only you can answer that. Your ears, your choice.
Yes I have my taste And I want Pure Alloy cymbal for years because of the sound I was just worried if the sound of Pure Alloy could fit well in the Rock Because it sounds more Jazz
I will check the website Mycymbal Thanks for tip👌

Yes I have my taste And I want Pure Alloy cymbal for years because of the sound I was just worried if the sound of Pure Alloy could fit well in the Rock Because it sounds more Jazz
I will check the website Mycymbal Thanks for tip👌
I'm sorry. You did mention some cymbals, my bad. The nice thing about mycymbal.com...the cymbal you hear is the exact cymbal you get. Jazz ride cymbals and rock ride cymbals have very different jobs to do. It would be great to find one set of cymbals that do both really great but TBH I'm not holding my breath. You can play jazz on rock rides and vice versa. If you like the sound of them. The player is greater than the cymbal tone. Still, I have jazz rides and I have rock rides and neither the twain shall meet. Crashes? not as critical IMO.

I'm sorry. You did mention some cymbals, my bad. The nice thing about mycymbal.com...the cymbal you hear is the exact cymbal you get. Jazz ride cymbals and rock ride cymbals have very different jobs to do. It would be great to find one set of cymbals that do both really great but TBH I'm not holding my breath. You can play jazz on rock rides and vice versa. If you like the sound of them. The player is greater than the cymbal tone. Still, I have jazz rides and I have rock rides and neither the twain shall meet. Crashes? not as critical IMO.
Thanks for your advice Now I know that I need to buy one set for Jazz and one for Rock but now I will probbably go with Jazz because I love playling along with jazz and swing and in my opinion in Jazz you can play incredible things on drums and I want to learn and play them When I see Greyson Nekrutman playing Jazz or Swing Im so excited and I want to play like he is playing or like some other incredible Jazz drummers and legends

I already saw thees but thanks for effort and help
So .... follow up questions. Which do you prefer? And are you playing in a band(s), or are you just practicing in your drum room to tunes?

Because (like larryace said) ..... Rock/Metal rides are Jazz rides (these days) are very different animals. If you're going up against Marshalls and Ampeg SVT's ..... neither of these cymbals is gonna cut thru the din.

If you're just jamming to tunes ..... the Meinl is better suited to MY sensibilities.

I was playing with band some rock songs but now Im on my own I dont want go to band for some time because I want to work on myslef and now I dont have time for playing with band

Which one is better for my purpose. I will appreciate every single opinion because its big investment.
what cymbals- what hi hats?- do you own now..

Do you have anything you're going to Keep and that you (want this to, add To.
That's a Consideration..

Last edited:
This isn't going to be Cheap : )

You ready for a Revamp? Hi hats... the Left Cymbal along with the Ride you are considering.
Just buy Used..
Couple used A's- Same Cymbals Buddy Rich and Ginger Baker played; Professional.

14s for Hi hats; maybe a 19 old A for left- used - cheap- $1xx range for either- that are still in good shape. Then Concentrate on the Ride.
And there you may find something Used also. Also used K Zildjians aren't cheap but possible (American Ks.
Or if you want to go on another Brand mission. But Used A Zildjians are (still +/-) Plentiful
For your Hats and Left Ride.

Right Ride see and watch for something to splurge on +/-

Last edited:
@TomS, you might want to listen to episodes 215 and 233 of the Modern Drummer podcast. In both episode the hosts, Mike and Mike, discuss ride cymbals.

@TomS, you might want to listen to episodes 215 and 233 of the Modern Drummer podcast. In both episode the hosts, Mike and Mike, discuss ride cymbals.

Thank you for the tip This can help me a lot

I'd be looking around for some good used deals to upgrade your whole set. It's a buyers market at the moment, and there are so many good used deals out there. In my last session recording job I used my Amati ride and 1970s Zildjian new beat hats, those cost me £70 combined 😂

Back