Which cymbal case?

cantstoplt021

I'm going to be getting a hard shell cymbal case and I'm wondering which size and make to get. Currently I only have 14" hi hats and a 20" ride, but I'm sure I'll add some more as the years go on. I'd like something that would last me oh 30 years so I'm guessing going with a bigger size would be smart. What's a good size to get? 24"? Also what's a good brand. I'd like something that is easy to carry if they make that. I like how the soft cases have straps and handles so you can carry them easy (like a backpack). Are there any hard shell cases like this?

And is hard shell the best way to go? Are there soft cases that have a lot of protection or should I just do hard shell?

I have both. I use my hard shell SKB cymbal vault when I know I won't be moving them around. I also use a solid leather cymbal bag. Both made for up to 22" cymbals.

The SKB cymbal case is cool because it has wheels and a pull out handle to move it around like a piece of luggage. The only problem with the cymbal case is that you have to lay it down flat to open it for loading and unloading, and alot of times, you're not afforded the space. The cymbal bag is much easier since it's top loading (you can load it vertically. So you just have to decide how much of a hassle you want to go through when loading and unloading.

I'll warn you though, a solid leather Reunion Blues bag will cost you upwards of $400 though.

Unless you have a ton of cymbals to lug around to gigs, I'd say with your current setup you'd be better off with a good quality canvas or leather bag. I've got a pretty hefty Sabian Bag that is a mix of thick canvas and leather, and I use that more often than anything else. The backpack straps are nice but I don't use them all that often. Plus, it'll save more room in your vehicle. As you acquire more cymbals, you may find that a hard case will be more beneficial, but for now, stick with a bag. 22" is a good generic size.

I'm in the process of looking for a case with decent quality dividers of some sort, which you may also want to do if you're thinking of throwing more cymbals in there eventually. I hate having my cymbals scratch around and bang into each other in the cheap canvas bag I have now.

Leather? You guys are weird. I've got a bag made from some type of water-resistant vinyl like material with softer insides and separator stuff so the cymbals don't touch or rub together. I can't remember the brand right now cause it's at the practice space, but leather seems like it would be heavy, expensive, easy to damage and just not as nice to mess around with.

Hard cases always seem like a waste of time and space unless you're checking cymbals on a plane or throwing them hap-hazard into the trailer.

I wouldn't trust my cymbals with leather. Nothing less than hard plastic will do. I want to be able to drop cymbals on their edge....in the case....and not have to worry about denting my bronze.

I've used the same Zildjain Cymbal Safe for the past 11 years. My only complaint is that the handle is on the lid, not on the half that holds the cymbals. It really doesn't affect anything other than it offends my sense of design. Not crazy about supporting the cymbals on a threaded post though. I think I paid less than $70.00 for it. The SKB cases...too big. My Zildjain, it's small enough where I can put it on my lap to access the cymbals. Bo is right, sometimes there's just no room to lay them down on the floor, so I'm glad I can do it from my lap. The pros are it's cheap, it will protect your cymbals in the case of a drop, there's not a lot of extra case, it's a good size. 22" cymbal max though. No dividers. I never had any issues with cymbals on top of one another, I don't even think about it.

The world needs a great top loading, free standing, 1 piece, hard plastic cymbal case that you can roll, carry by a handle, and/or strap on your back. Something that doesn't use a post to hold the cymbals from the hole. As small and light as possible, completely crackproof, while still offering superior protection. With ultra thin kevlar dividers. The dividers I see on the cases today eat up too much space. For no more than a 100 bucks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust my cymbals with leather. Nothing less than hard plastic will do. I want to be able to drop cymbals on their edge....in the case....and not have to worry about denting my bronze.

I've used the same Zildjain Cymbal Safe for the past 11 years. My only complaint is that the handle is on the lid, not on the half that holds the cymbals. It really doesn't affect anything other than it offends my sense of design. I think I paid less than $70.00 for it. The SKB cases...too big. My Zildjain, it's small enough where I can put it on my lap to access the cymbals. Bo is right, sometimes there's just no room to lay them down on the floor, so I'm glad I can do it from my lap. The pros are it's cheap, it will protect your cymbals in the case of a drop, there's not a lot of extra case, it's a good size. 22" cymbal max though. No dividers. I never had any issues with cymbals on top of one another, I don't even think about it.

The world needs a top loading, free standing, 1 piece, hard plastic cymbal case that I can roll, carry by a handle, and/or strap on your back. As small and light as possible while still offering superior protection. With ultra thin kevlar dividers. The dividers I see on the cases today eat up too much space. For no more than a 100 bucks.

You drop your cymbals? Really? Have you seen my Reunion Blues bag?

So what would be a good leather or canvas case that is protective, but doesn't cost 400 dollars?

Zildjian makes a case that's half cordura and padded, and they put leather on the bottom part that touches the ground. A friend of mine had one of those for years, and I think he said it cost him $70. You should look at the bag made by Ahead Armor or Protection Racket too - very nicely made.

You drop your cymbals? Really? Have you seen my Reunion Blues bag?

Can't say I've ever dropped them. It's a security thing, I just feel better with hard plastic. Are you saying your cymbals have been dropped on their edge in the leather bag? Actually if mine were dropped, it would be the center post and the cymbal holes that take the brunt of the drop....I would think. Thinking about it from that POV, it's the center post I want to lose, not the hard plastic. But then I'd have nothing to secure the cymbals with.

I was fine until I read this thread lol.

Can't say I've ever dropped them. It's a security thing, I just feel better with hard plastic. Are you saying your cymbals have been dropped on their edge in the leather bag? Actually if mine were dropped, it would be the center post and the cymbal holes that take the brunt of the drop....I would think. Thinking about it from that POV, it's the center post I want to lose, not the hard plastic. But then I'd have nothing to secure the cymbals with.

I was fine until I read this thread lol.

I just make sure they don't get dropped.

You shouldn't be too worried about the center post in the case though. On my SKB case, when you tighten the cymbals in tight enough with the wing nut, they don't really move. I think you would suffer center hole damage if you never tightened them down because being loose on the center post would allow the weight to pull them down, causing center hole stress.

I go my first bag about a year ago. It's from Fusion Bags. It holds my ful set.

8, 10, 12 splashes
15, 17, 19 crashes
14 hats
22 ride
20 china

It comes with a separate trolley which is not the gratest as it won't stand on it's own.

As is probably truewith drums as well, the most solid option os probably bags inside of hardcases. As long as I'm handling ym stuff myself I think bags are fine.

I wouldn't really buy a bigger bag than I need. Having several size bags can be nice, as there are times when that's all you need.

Full kit offcourse when it's needed, but most gigs these days, probably for most drummers is as small light and fast as possible.

Go with the skb hard case. Does a great job protecting cymbals, lifetime warranty, etc. I'm not quite sure where you guys are playing that you don't have enough space to lay the cymbal case flat and pull your cymbals out, lol

You've never set up while everybody else was trying to set up? I suppose you only play the 2500-seat halls? ;)

I'm not quite sure where you guys are playing that you don't have enough space to lay the cymbal case flat and pull your cymbals out, lol

Kind of goes like this:
12 x 10 stage, maybe smaller, maybe bigger, everybody arrives at close to same time, loading in, setting up drums, hardware, cables, amps, guitars, stands, mic stands....lots of activity. oh and the keyboards?
drummer sets up throne, often with back near wall.

once his drums/hardware setup, the drummer goes for his cymbals

In all this melee', not so easy in the last step to lay out a space 45 x 24 inches to open up your cymbal case.

Invest in hard case. For both of my drum sets , even my long range tackle boxes I use SKB. For my cymbals I chose Humes & Berg, 22” and 24” I like double straps and I think they are little deeper than SKB’s.

I'm going to be getting a hard shell cymbal case and I'm wondering which size and make to get. Currently I only have 14" hi hats and a 20" ride, but I'm sure I'll add some more as the years go on. I'd like something that would last me oh 30 years so I'm guessing going with a bigger size would be smart. What's a good size to get? 24"? Also what's a good brand. I'd like something that is easy to carry if they make that. I like how the soft cases have straps and handles so you can carry them easy (like a backpack). Are there any hard shell cases like this?

And is hard shell the best way to go? Are there soft cases that have a lot of protection or should I just do hard shell?

I bought a Rockbag 22" premium plus which is the middle ground between a hardcase and soft bag. It's soft so easy to carry but have hard edges protecting the cymbals good. Not to expensive either and the quality seems to be very good.

I've had a Zildjian "Cymbal Safe" since the early 90s (I believe...). So long ago I got it for $50.

I am not a working drummer, and I don't gig regularly anymore. But-this thing has been bulletproof since day one. I will gladly 'suffer' the inconvenience of it's hard-shelled goodness, and any other criticisms I've seen thrown at it. Worried about the steel post? Put a plastic or rubber sleeve over it. Worried about "have to lay it flat to open it?" Then DON'T lay it flat to open it, just use a little care. Etc. Etc. Etc. They are actually lighter than some of the bags out there, don't retain moisture, spills can be wiped right off them, drunk bass players can step on them, 'whatever' lol.

I have had a leather Zildjian cymbal bag, a vinyl Zildjian Cymbal bag, a Zildjian hard case and a Sabian hard case.

The only two I never worry or even think twice about are the hard cases. I honestly think you would have to run over them with a truck for any damage to be done to your cymbals.

Back