Which Buddy Rich CD would you suggest to a new fan????

PeartFan

I'm starting to really appreciate Buddy Rich...which CD of his you you recommend as a starting point?

RickP

Gold Member
Big Swing Face
Roar of 74
Mercy Mercy
Live at Buddy's Place
Rich vs Roach

These are some of my favourites .

Texan

I have a number of Buddy Rich's albums and Swingin' New Big Band is in my opinion the best of them. His solo on West Side Story is probably his best during the height of his playing. The album has a diverse selection of song types which gives one a great picture of the range of his playing style.

Hummada

Time out is my favorite. Some of the most musical drum parts I've ever listened to and the live recording is great.

Any of the dvds are amazing as well. Love in Montreal is my favorite. Can't go wrong with anything Buddy played on.

tcspears

Gold Member
Swingin' New Big Band is one of his best, the solos are great and the arrangements are killer!

The Best of Buddy Rich: The Pacific Years is also a great album it picks some great arrangments and most of it was the absolute height of his playing.

Juniper

Gold Member
For me it's Swingin' New Big Band & Big Swing Face. Especially love his playing on those two records.

Krupa vs Rich also (mostly for his solo in The Monster) but more a fan of the live recordings above as my favourite records out of a choice of many.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I have the "Rich vs Krupa" CD and although it's from an earlier era, I like that one. Just hearing Buddy and Gene both, just laying it down was more inspirational than hearing him display his incredible chops. The Roar of '74 is a good one too, and that has Tony Levin on bass!

Not to brag, but I feel like I'm extremely lucky in this sense because when I was a child, and when both the Buddy Rich and Louie Bellson big bands would come to Disneyland to play at the carnation Plaza Stage every year (when Disney used to hire name entertainment), mom and dad would always take us out there to see them live. To see that in your pre-teen years was very cool - I got to see an entire thinking band on it's feet and every record I ever heard after that just paled in comparison. It's good that there are recordings and videos out there, but the physicality and pure muscle of those bands in action was scary!

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Just listened to the West Side Story medley! Great stuff. I love that soundtrack anyway and Buddy being my first inspiration, it was great to listen to him again. I need to that more often! Thanks for posting this request.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I have the "Rich vs Krupa" CD and although it's from an earlier era, I like that one. Just hearing Buddy and Gene both, just laying it down was more inspirational than hearing him display his incredible chops. The Roar of '74 is a good one too, and that has Tony Levin on bass!

Not to brag, but I feel like I'm extremely lucky in this sense because when I was a child, and when both the Buddy Rich and Louie Bellson big bands would come to Disneyland to play at the carnation Plaza Stage every year (when Disney used to hire name entertainment), mom and dad would always take us out there to see them live. To see that in your pre-teen years was very cool - I got to see an entire thinking band on it's feet and every record I ever heard after that just paled in comparison. It's good that there are recordings and videos out there, but the physicality and pure muscle of those bands in action was scary!
Color me GREEN with envy!