Which Bop Kit?

UpandIn

Which bop kit would you go with?

Yamaha Birch Absolute - 8X12, 14X14, 16X18, 5.5X14
or
Mapex Saturn Manhattan - 8X12, 14X14, 14X18, 5.5X14

I've done my research and have played both Yamaha Birch and Mapex Saturn although not the bop sized kicks. Just wanted to see what other people thought between the two. I like 'em both.

Oh, and I'm glad it's Friday :)

RickP

Gold Member
My vote would be for the Yamaha - they are very consistent, excellent quality drums. They retain their value much better than Mapex does.

Garvin

Pioneer Member
Both are great. Go with whichever one has a finish you prefer. I think they both do great natural laquers as well. I'm partial to yamaha hardware, but that's really just another personaly preference.

I'd also take the shallower dimension of the Mapex bass drum, just for footprints sake. Not a huge difference, but it might come in handy in a tight space (or small trunk).

MasterCylinder

I'd go with the Yamaha because in drums that small I would prefer the punch provided by the birch................both are good drums, however.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm more of a Yamaha fan than a Mapex one, so I'd recommend the Yamaha, just because I think they do an all-around better job on everything they make (I love their grand pianos and digital mixing consoles too, not to mention their motorcycles).

But, not to derail your thread, why do you need bop-sized drums? Yes, I've owned little drums in the past and made them work, but I always feel that the smaller you go, the less voices you get. If space is not an issue (and it's never an issue with me), I'd use a 20 or 22" bass drum everytime - there's just more voices, and more low-end to be supportive. Of course, I can make do with a 16 or 18, but in a louder environment, both of the little guys would have to be mic'd up. I totally appreciate what can be done by great players with little drums, but I guess I subscribe to the Buddy Rich/Tony Williams school of instrument selection: BIG for everything - just play on big stages!

I think discussing why you need a bop kit would be a livelier discussion ;)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Strictly, size of the kick makes me say Mapex. I like the "old school" sizes, and 18" kicks, back in the day, were 18x12 or 18x14. To me, the deeper 18x16 is just a floor tom turned on it's side.​

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Strictly, size of the kick makes me say Mapex. I like the "old school" sizes, and 18" kicks, back in the day, were 18x12 or 18x14. To me, the deeper 18x16 is just a floor tom turned on it's side.​
Funny that less wood makes it a bass drum, eh?

UpandIn

My main kit is a Ludwig Classic Maple..8X12 (or sometimes 9X13), 16X16, and 14X22. Love it!!! I could use it for everything.

The bop kit would be a second kit and would be used for practice, smaller gigs..maybe snare/kick/hi-hat settings. That's all...or just to have fun with.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Funny that less wood makes it a bass drum, eh?
Well, an "old school" bass drum, anyhow. Cats who like near square and square cannon sized drums .... cool, if that's what they like. Me, I like the articulation of the reso head on 14" deep kicks. I'll go 16" on big kicks, like my 26x16 Ludwig. But I've had 17 and 18 inch deep kicks, and I have them no more. Just ain't my thing.​

wildbill

Platinum Member
They're both nice.

But if I were choosing between the 2, it'd be the Yamaha Birch Absolute, without a doubt.

UpandIn

I ended up going a different route. I just grabbed a Gretsch New Classic bop kit practically new with only about 45 minutes of play on it in the natural finish. It also included Protection Racket bags. They sound great and look awesome. I couldn't be happier! thanks for all the input.

dmacc_2

I ended up going a different route. I just grabbed a Gretsch New Classic bop kit practically new with only about 45 minutes of play on it in the natural finish. It also included Protection Racket bags. They sound great and look awesome. I couldn't be happier! thanks for all the input.
Great pick! They are a wonderful sounding set of drums.

UpandIn

No pics yet, just set them up tonight. I love this kit!! Small, easy to set up, very easy to tune, sounds great, looks great. I love the lugs, the mount, all of it. Perfect for what I was looking for. I'll get some pics up in the next few days.