Which are better, Sabian or Zildjian?

Ok, I'm kind of a beginner, and I was wondering which cymbals are better, Sabian or Zildjian? I've heard Sabians are cheaper with a better warranty but Zildjians are better quality and better looking. Is all this true, and is there more? I'm on a budget but don't want to sacrifice quality for price. My current ones came with the kit, and frankly, they bite, even to my completely untrained ears. So, any advice?

Ok, I'm kind of a beginner, and I was wondering which cymbals are better, Sabian or Zildjian? I've heard Sabians are cheaper with a better warranty but Zildjians are better quality and better looking. Is all this true, and is there more? I'm on a budget but don't want to sacrifice quality for price. My current ones came with the kit, and frankly, they bite, even to my completely untrained ears. So, any advice?

Search around, there are at least a zillion threads on this topic.

ok for beginner cymbals their are sabian b8s or zildjian zbts thats their starting lines, their is no better its all preference and opinion. I have b8s their pretty good but you get what you pay for, zbts in my opinion are not that good i would go sabian because of warranty, personal preferance, and i heard about those zbt crashes cracking very easily, and of course of sound. Go to guitar center or something try them out or go to sabian and zildjians website and listen to the samples and compare to see what you like better. I would reccomend though to skip the step of going beginner cymbals because i regret buying b8s because in june i bought b8s and now i want to upgrade i would suggest get some sabian xs20s or b8 pro as for zildjian maybe zhts, check out paiste pst3 and pst5 series cymbals, listen and go with your budget, and preference but mainly what you like better and what sounds best to you.

There truely is no 'Better' cymbal. Im personally a Zildjian guy, and have spent over $1200 on my current setup of zildjians, and to me it was worth every penny, but i know many people who swear by their sabians.. I had B8's for a while and they we'rent half bad.. they did the trick... but if you already have cymbals, i would suggest you possibly wait a bit, and replace a cymbal at a time as you have the money for higher quality stuff. thats what i did, i started out with 1 crash, 1 ride, and hihats, and first replaced the hats, then the crash, then bought another crash, then a china, then a new ride.. and i did this over the course of around 4 years... so the strain wasnt that big on my wallet, since i did it slowly, and now i have exactly what i want from a set of cymbals without having to go beginner-intermediate-pro, i cut out the middle step by going slower.

just my $0.02

I'm all for Klopee's approach. Most all "beginner cymbals"or "package deals" bite. When a good set of hats might run $200-300 (easy), don't expect to get hats, ride and 2 crashes for the same amount, and be happy for long. Go to stores and play cymbals. Figure out what "you" want. "Your sound" is going to be built upon a foundation. Kick, snare, hats, ride. Good cymbals will last you a lifetime. Also, look for "used" deals. People are hurtin' for cash. Yard sales, pawn shops, drum shops, eBay, Craig's list, etc. 15 years ago, I scored a set of 15" Paiste black label 2002 hi-hats, for $175. Great deal then. And out of a drum shop, too. Played them for, well 15 years....recently re-invented "my sound". Sold them on eBay for $250. Not bad. Decade and a half use and a profit. Don't be in a rush, and try to make "educated" purchases.

'better' is such a slippery word when it comes to cymbals...
try narrowing your search a little, do you play jazz, rock or metal - country maybe? once you know what you need from a cymbal set up your search for the perfect cymbals gets much easier, looking only at darker or brighter or louder cymbals will narrow the choices down a bit and save time...
and i hate to do it, but i'm going to repeat some advice - go slow, be deliberate, methodical and tenacious in your search for the perfect cymbals and you will find them...
good hunting man!

They are equal in terms of manufacturer quality. Both are great sounding cymbals. I play a mix of Zildjians and Sabians. The only way to buy cymbals is to bring a pair of the exact sticks you play with and try them out, don't use sticks they give you in the stores. Let your ears decide. Never buy them from any place that you can't hear them first with YOUR sticks. The stick greatly influences the sound of cymbals. Start with the hats and ride, then the crashes. My rides need to have 3 things going for them before I'll buy. First, a great ping sound, (as determined by ME) then I must love the sound of the bell, third, is I need to like the sound of it when it's crashed. If it has 2 out of 3, I move on. Skip any entry level cymbal, B8, ZBT...it's a waste of time and money. The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.

Back