Which 1970s Ludwig shells are these - calling Ludwig Experts.

Robzildjian

Hi all,

I have a set of 1970s Ludwigs drums that have been rewrapped. They sound great. Sizes 22 x16. 12x8 Tom and 14 x 14 floor. They were black cortex wrap. Can anyone tell me what type of shells these are and what is the view of these drums. I love them by the way. Thanks Ludwig experts! I want to get a 16 inch floor Tom in the same shell. What era should I look for. Thanks again luddy experts. Rob

Attachments

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Looks like maple/styrofoam/maple to me, but Im not a real LUDWIG expert, just play one here on DW.

M

Matt Bo Eder

6 ply maple. You need to look for a 16 tom that is post-1976 in age.
Actually, straight 6-ply maple, but post 1980, since that's when they introduced 16" deep bass drums (as well as the ridiculous power tom craze). Should be relatively easy to find drums used, but that vintage Ludwig stuff commands a much higher price due to the vibe. Good luck on your quest!

Robzildjian

Thanks guys. They were sold to me as maple classic so I'm glad that you think that they are maple as the guy who sold them was very decent, or seemed that way. Btw, how do you know they are maple not poplar mix - just for my education.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Thanks guys. They were sold to me as maple classic so I'm glad that you think that they are maple as the guy who sold them was very decent, or seemed that way. Btw, how do you know they are maple not poplar mix - just for my education.
Back then I think they only had a couple of variations, and I think if the center plies were a really dark color, it might have been mahogany/maple which I'm fairly certain they used on their Standard kits at the time and some of the marching drums to make them lighter for the younger players. That was the cool thing back then, there wasn't a lot of variations in shell materials unlike today.

k_50

6-ply Ludwigs are a maple/poplar blend (ply layup: m/p/m/p/p/m). To the best of my knowledge they didn't make an all maple shell until sometime in the 90's, when the Classic Maple line came out.

Robzildjian

So now I am confused. Are these six plies maple or maple poplar mix? Does anyone have the definitive answer? Thanks all - thoughts appreciated.

opentune

Platinum Member
maple/poplar mix is the exact answer. people say '6 ply maple', because well, there's maple in there (not mahogany/poplar, used in some older Ludwigs and other vintage drums)
As Bo pointed out, they must actually be 80's Luds, as the 16 depth on bass drum indicates that.