where to get half snares?

hey!

so I'm messing about with a meinl handbale
I just want to see how versatile I can make it - just for funsies (just a micro hobby mod project - I alwasy wind up learning something when I do some project. I'd build a battlebot but I'd win too much and I promised I wouldn't make my fellow geeks cry)

the other half, if I can make it get a few decent sounds it might make a nice campfire drum to accompany everyone who brings an acoustic guitar or uke (not enough kazoo as far as I'm concerned and [French] horn...ahhh, the warm summer evenings of my childhood singling along to horn) or other hootenannie-type conditions - It's inexpensive, with a fairly burly steel shell and shallow so it could pack OK

I put a fiberskyn ambassador on it and that seems nice for brushes (which the wife can play...and I can make noises with)

but I digress, I'd like to put a half snare on it (the handbale is single head)

I was hoping to maybe find replacement units (the whole mechanism, not just the wires) for tama or meinl effects snares...something that is at last TRYING to be real (doesn't LP make one too)
having a little trouble finding sources.

thoughts?

Last edited:
What a good idea!

I have been using a bodhran ( Irish frame drum ) for some gigs I have to walk to as it is light. It's great as you can play it with hands, sticks, or brushes. It is a bit like the handbale as its single headed but has a tacked on hide head. I have been relying on brush slap for I bit of a snare sound but need a bit more buzz.

Been toying with ideas:

Seed shaker, jingles on top
Rubber bands wrapped around the drum
Big fat snarebourine

I got my half snare out. It isn't a true half snare, it has the half snare mechanism, but two heads. I set it up next my hihat. I like it for fills and accents. I can see why Jojo uses two snares. It is easier to add a busier beat and more snare work in when you can keep the back beat going. It gets confusing sometimes if you play the fills on the main snare, like where is the back beat, but if you keep the back beat going adding the other accents on the second snare it sounds better. I am now thinking about getting a real half snare.

hey!

so I'm messing about with a meinl handbale
I just want to see how versatile I can make it - just for funsies (just a micro hobby mod project - I alwasy wind up learning something when I do some project. I'd build a battlebot but I'd win too much and I promised I wouldn't make my fellow geeks cry)

the other half, if I can make it get a few decent sounds it might make a nice campfire drum to accompany everyone who brings an acoustic guitar or uke (not enough kazoo as far as I'm concerned and [French] horn...ahhh, the warm summer evenings of my childhood singling along to horn) or other hootenannie-type conditions - It's inexpensive, with a fairly burly steel shell and shallow so it could pack OK

I put a fiberskyn ambassador on it and that seems nice for brushes (which the wife can play...and I can make noises with)

but I digress, I'd like to put a half snare on it (the handbale is single head)

I was hoping to maybe find replacement units (the whole mechanism, not just the wires) for tama or meinl effects snares...something that is at last TRYING to be real (doesn't LP make one too)
having a little trouble finding sources.

thoughts?
I learned this a long time ago on either cymbalholic or cocktail drum forum, don't remember which. The easiest and cheapest way to fabricate and install a sturdy, reliable, and adjustable snare fan (or half snare if you will) involves a basic aftermarket internal adjustable dampener/muffler, a set of snare wires, and some basic tools.

Source one of these, shouldn't cost more then $10-$15:

download.jpeg

Basically just cut a set of snare wires in half and fan them out a bit. Cut off the felt muffler piece from the above device and attach the half snare wire to it (solder or a pop rivet works best but you can tape it or epoxy it as well). From there just install the muffler turned snare fan onto the drum in question following the instructions that came with the muffler, this will involve drilling a hole in the shell. Boom, done. Solid reliable adjustable snare fan for $20 +/- and an hour or two of labor. They also make models that clip on the rim if you don't want to drill the shell (if it is a very shallow drum like a bodhran you may be able to just clip it on the shell underneath).

These links should help:

thanks

I was hoping to find like a replacement part for say the tamas where it works like a throw off
(it throws off and you can adjust the "tension" like a regular snare)
meinl has one that uses a sort of damper piece for when theirs is in the off position

I think LP makes one that doesn't throw off but is a little more substantial of a tensioning mechanism

always seems harder to find them I suppose being replacement parts

seems like its not too hard to find the really cheap half snares, abt 12 bucks on amazon, prob cheaper on the bay without the need to mod.

Last edited:
thanks

I was hoping to find like a replacement part for say the tamas where it works like a throw off
(it throws off and you can adjust the "tension" like a regular snare)
meinl has one that uses a sort of damper piece for when theirs is in the off position

I think LP makes one that doesn't throw off but is a little more substantial of a tensioning mechanism

always seems harder to find them I suppose being replacement parts

seems like its not too hard to find the really cheap half snares, abt 12 bucks on amazon, prob cheaper on the bay without the need to mod.
So the above suggestion I gave is adjustable and can be turned off. Granted, it's not a fast single motion like a proper snare strainer but it does work. When you tighten the large thumb screw it gets tighter against the head and when you loosen the large thumb screw it pulls away from the head even to the point where it won't be touching at all.

Reactions: jda
So the above suggestion I gave is adjustable and can be turned off. Granted, it's not a fast single motion like a proper snare strainer but it does work. When you tighten the large thumb screw it gets tighter against the head and when you loosen the large thumb screw it pulls away from the head even to the point where it won't be touching at all.
yeah totally ! and I super appreciate it

I've actually worked on hose before (it was funny b/c it was on a double head so all these brush turds would sort of rain in the drum and collect on the reso)
but like the muffler, they are pretty inexact and real rough and when you want to turn them on and off it's not so much a real time flip like a throw off.
the meinl actually has a second damper bar that keeps the half snare quiet when off the head
the tama allow thro off independent of the tension/contact adjucter and it's a bit more of a sophisticated linkage than just a leaf spring so the tension is more consistent

you find them a lot of times on these old "childs drums" and whatnot.
it's just there are some more evolved units (I was probably a bit hyperbolic saying "something that is at last TRYING to be real" - that was unkind...but I am hoping to find something like the tama -- I get a little bit of the call the dealer call the manufacturer runaround on that.

I'll give tama another shout and see if they'' sell to me direct though their led times have been a few months

snare fan
used to be called
found inside cocktail drums of all sorts
yeah, these days they are calling them half snares, you can find the super cheapies all day long - for like $12
there's evon one for paint bucket drumming!!
I'm hoping to find one of the better units (after the time cost and drill commit I'd rather just spend the extra few tens to get something that isn't just an afterthought if that makes sense)

Reactions: jda
yeah totally ! and I super appreciate it

I've actually worked on hose before (it was funny b/c it was on a double head so all these brush turds would sort of rain in the drum and collect on the reso)
but like the muffler, they are pretty inexact and real rough and when you want to turn them on and off it's not so much a real time flip like a throw off.
the meinl actually has a second damper bar that keeps the half snare quiet when off the head
the tama allow thro off independent of the tension/contact adjucter and it's a bit more of a sophisticated linkage than just a leaf spring so the tension is more consistent

you find them a lot of times on these old "childs drums" and whatnot.
it's just there are some more evolved units (I was probably a bit hyperbolic saying "something that is at last TRYING to be real" - that was unkind...but I am hoping to find something like the tama -- I get a little bit of the call the dealer call the manufacturer runaround on that.

I'll give tama another shout and see if they'' sell to me direct though their led times have been a few months
I know of the Tama version you are speaking of and while the design is essential the same as my original suggestion I can confidently tell you the Tama design is much smoother and faster. Try contacting hoshino USA in Bensalem PA, they have an email and a phone number on their website. They handle all the North American importing for Ibanez and Tama. Helpful bunch over there.

I know of the Tama version you are speaking of and while the design is essential the same as my original suggestion I can confidently tell you the Tama design is much smoother and faster. Try contacting hoshino USA in Bensalem PA, they have an email and a phone number on their website. They handle all the North American importing for Ibanez and Tama. Helpful bunch over there.
yeah, they tell me to go to a retailer, but drums etc is the only one that actually lists it and they haven't been...well the most communicative about when/if they even have stuff in stock or when they might ship
I mean I get supply lines, but just dropping a mail to tell me whats up wld be appreciated

I'll give tma a direct call again and se if they'll just do direct

One thing I've notice about these half snares, is they seem to sound much better on the batter side than the reso side of the drum. On the batter side they act like a cross between a muffle and a snare, giving a nice sharp but short snap. On the reso side they sound more like bent rattly snare wires. I can see why the pearl short fat snare doesn't have a reso head.

One thing I've notice about these half snares, is they seem to sound much better on the batter side than the reso side of the drum. On the batter side they act like a cross between a muffle and a snare, giving a nice sharp but short snap. On the reso side they sound more like bent rattly snare wires. I can see why the pearl short fat snare doesn't have a reso head.
I've also heard of people installing these type of snare fans under the batter head of a regular snare drum that already has wires on the reso. It's supposed to dramatically increase sensitivity, I've heard of this more in fancy concert/orchestral drums but I feel like there is a signature snare from a big manufacturer that has this feature as well.

I've also heard of people installing these type of snare fans under the batter head of a regular snare drum that already has wires on the reso. It's supposed to dramatically increase sensitivity, I've heard of this more in fancy concert/orchestral drums but I feel like there is a signature snare from a big manufacturer that has this feature as well.
I want to say yamaha made one with an extra half snare????? that's pulling from a gin soaked memory hole

here's an interesting article on the ludwig FULL snare

yeah, those marching ones still do that (top snares)
there's this big ole linkage that presses a full snare up
(this is a premier one)
images.png

Black swamp has started offering that on their stuff

Ah, the things you find when you are looking for a half snare mechanism

and all I wanted was a nice half snare...and a Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me

awesome - please report back
Well...

...Not great

I forgot and only got it out at the end after hammering on a regular snare for 3 hours. It sounded a bit thin and disconnected

I've got a tryout with a piano trio tonight so I will start off with the bodhran and see what happens

On a plus note, one shots are great little shakers. They are so versatile and made such a gorgeous sizzle

So...

Turns out it was a bad idea

In a the setting I tried it (keys,upright bass, trumpet at low volume) it didn't cut it. The sizzle sound was overpowered by the drum tone. Maybe the velcro absorbed too much energy but the sizzle doesn't sound remotely like a snare

Back