Where do you mount your drum pads on your kit? (Pics please)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Getting ready to start playing out with my spd sx. I’ve got the bracket and it’s on a stand right now, and I’m getting ready to start experimenting with placement. Where do you mount yours?

Basically, wherever it's comfortable to reach to strike or change presets, where it's close enough to target the specific pad, and where it won't get accidentally smacked while you're playing.

My multipads - Octapad, KAT and now the SPD-SX - have always been to my left of my hats. Because of its smaller size, the SPD-SX sits a little above but to the left of the hats.

042713e_dunnett.jpg

Bermuda

i think it really depends on what you'll be doing with it. How often you'll be using it, what sounds you are using it for, which hand will most often be using it, etc. For example if you are using one of the pads for a snare sound, you'll want it in a place comfortable for your left hand. If you're using it to trigger an effect or a backing track once every so often, you can really put it anywhere.

I used an Alesis Samplepad Pro in place of my rack tom. It was slightly over the snare and could easily be played with both hands. My gigs at that time were all modern dance music so the rack tom wasn't missed.

Mine is to the left of my hats, but low and flat because it sits on top of the rack case that holds my headphone amp and dmx controller - I midi control the light show with it too!
I also have a KD7 bd trigger under my left heel and a BT1 bar trigger on each of my two FT's......

IMG_2690.JPG

Depends if it's the main part or an addition to a full big kit.

On the full acoustic kit it goes on the left along with other auxiliary stuff.

Left side, with its knobs & buttons within easy reach, and its 2-button pedal (worth it) next to my hi hat pedal.

Attachments

• 126AB869-AADC-4E20-A14F-A6FF24280A2C.jpeg
    126AB869-AADC-4E20-A14F-A6FF24280A2C.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 8CF1015D-9174-4FA1-B4FD-FFF5CA3E511C.jpeg
    8CF1015D-9174-4FA1-B4FD-FFF5CA3E511C.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 19
Try everything. If I remember correctly, you play a 4 piece setup? I think Ineedaclutch has the right idea with it placed in a rack tom position. But move it around. There are NO rules on this. But, the left side is often where there happens to be space.

All of these are super helpful. Thank you!!!

Try everything. If I remember correctly, you play a 4 piece setup? I think Ineedaclutch has the right idea with it placed in a rack tom position. But move it around. There are NO rules on this. But, the left side is often where there happens to be space.

I LOVE the idea of putting it where the rack tom goes. My only problem is my brand new matching rack tom for my Ludwig Classic maple is coming in the next few weeks. :)

Looks like I have some experimenting (and practicing!) to do. Thanks again!

Back