Where do these triggers go?

Jessiah331

Ok, so I've had a problem of practice space since I moved to NE. I've been through all of the options, but I was recently clicking around the forums, found another thread and it hit me.

I have my old starter set in the basement collecting dust. (it was my 'test' set for when I was beginning to think about painting my nicer set) Someone mentioned to slap some mesh heads on it, then get some triggers.

I'm just looking for something to beat around on while the neighbors are around, and this seems like a pretty quiet idea. I'm not really concerned about how GOOD it sounds, just something to practice to.

SO about the triggers. I was looking at the basic ddrum triggers (about the cheapest there are) and was wondering, if I put these on my drums, what exactly do they plug into? I'm fairly new to the electronic drum scene...

Thanks for any advice and pointers. If you think I'm headin in the wrong direction with a silent practice kit, gimme all you got, because I'm always open to new ideas! (and nothing is set in stone yet!)

I have never converted an acoustic kit to an e-kit. However, I own both. Something to consider is that you will not only need triggers, but also a module (that's what you plug the triggers into). The module will allow you to set the desired sounds that you want. You can plug in your headphones (to the module) and rock out.
The modules can be pretty expensive but maybe you can find a small used one for a decent price. If you're not really concerned with sound (as you stated), you may just want to put the mesh heads on and play like that. It would be worth experimenting with before going out and spending a bunch of money on triggers and a module.
Good Luck!

There are two parts (and most units have both parts combined in one box these days).

You need a trigger to midi interface AND a sound module.

Any Roland TD box or Yamaha DT boxes have both, as do things like the Alesis D4.

I have never converted an acoustic kit to an e-kit. However, I own both. Something to consider is that you will not only need triggers, but also a module (that's what you plug the triggers into). The module will allow you to set the desired sounds that you want. You can plug in your headphones (to the module) and rock out.
The modules can be pretty expensive but maybe you can find a small used one for a decent price. If you're not really concerned with sound (as you stated), you may just want to put the mesh heads on and play like that. It would be worth experimenting with before going out and spending a bunch of money on triggers and a module.
Good Luck!

That sounds like about my best option right now. I'm looking at modules right now and they are pretty crazy expensive. Ah well, the mesh should be here in a few days, maybe it will work! Any ideas on what to do about cymbals?

Thanks everyone!

Converting to 100% electronic will also mean you'll need electronic cymbals, so keep that in mind as well.

Cymbals pose another problem. I have tried playing my e-kit with regular acoustic cymbals. The cymbals are much too loud and override badly. You would have to either get electronic cymbals or designate a triggered drum to a cymbal sound. I believe the latter would be a bit awkward though.

Back