Where do I start?

Sonic Atrocity

I have a kit. A crappy little thing, but it does the trick. I have a double-kick, single bass drum, a floor tom, two toms sitting on the bass drum (mind my lacking terminology), high-hat, ride and splash (or crash?) symbol. I have some experience playing drums but nothing really legitimate.

Where should I start? Anything I should read? What kind of practice regimen should I start? I am into metal, especially black metal. I definitely want to learn how to blast, but I understand that drumming is about way more than that, and I am very eager to learn.

One problem: I am starting guitar again, and when I play my left hand (my non-picking hand) goes numb. I am looking to fix this and have created a thread on another forum asking how I can deal with it. I am worried that drumming will irritate it. Any ideas on how to prevent further damage, heal my wrist and take care of it?

Thanks for taking the time to view my thread!

Please, suggest any reading. I will take the time to read if it means I will learn something about drumming. :)

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Two approaches. You've got everything you need for both of them.

First one: Get on your kit and start playing. Copy what you hear and try to figure it out as you go along.

Second one: Start at the begining and get some lessons from a reputable teacher. (Yeah, I know it's unthinkable in the modern age....but the beginning is so often the very best place to start).

Both approaches can be effective, depending on many factors.....but the second is a sure fire way to learn properly and receive meaningful feedback and guidance on your progression from the outset.

ageadm

You might also consider this topic for a good start
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976

Get a beginner's DVD that you think will serve your needs most (only if you can't get a teacher). Even though you might have some prior drumming experience, I suggest you go through the basics again. For your metal drumming, you might want the "Extreme Metal Drumming 101 " DVD, which isn't for beginners. If you want that DVD, your hand technique must be at least intermediate and you must be able to do some serious single stroke and double stoke rolls at a fairly high speed (140 bpm or more). Heavy metal is about technique AND speed.

So: Go though basics -> Learn proper sticking/Hand technique (use Jojo Mayer's DVD for that) -> Get "Extreme Metal Drumming 101"

A

Anthony Amodeo

first.....get on the kit and start playing....try to copy things you hear on your favorite records

second .....on your breaks from doing that....get online and research drum teachers in your area...pick one with some credentials and contact him/her

boom.....yr off and running

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
One thing I see that concerns me...I see more than a few beginner people, like Sonic here, who are asking about what do I do, where do I start...I suppose that's a good thing but I just can't relate. I simply wanted to play play play. I had a burning need to play the damn things that I'm not getting from threads like this. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I would hope that the pure love and magnetism of the drumset would suck you in so hard that you just do it.

I'm very much a "figure things out for myself" kind of person rather than an "ask others what I should do" type person, so that's why I can't relate.

Whatever type of person you are, hopefully the desire to play is all encompassing. That could be the very thing that defines what kind of drummer you are, the amount of desire. I know guys who are good, but they have no fire. So IMO they will never be great. Great requires fire, which stems from burning desire. How do you teach desire? Not sure you can, it's either there or not, to varying degrees. Burning. Fire. Degrees. I'm onto something lol.

mikeyhanson

Silver Member
I agreed with Larry <---- this happens quite frequently, I'm noticing.

Burning. Fire. Degrees.....sounds like a Motown tribute band.

Play to everything. Play to mp3's, records, whatever. I used to pick a radio station and play to that. Every single thing....the songs, the commercials, the stings, even the little background weather music. Everything. Play it to make yourself understand what it is your hearing. Train your arms and legs to respond to what you're thinking. Play to songs you don't even like!!....actually, sometimes I find this quite helpful, since I concentrate more on the beat and less on the material. Plus I can sometimes learn a thing or two, even from the crappiest pop song [i play mostly punk and its varieties].

If you like blast beats, work on getting up to speed to do 'em. If you can't figure them out, get a teacher. He'll likely tell you that blast beats, while possible, may be a bit further in your future. But don't let that stop you. Teachers can really help. And there ain't nothing better than ripping out a great beat and having a crowd go nuts over it.

There are so many things about drums I find fascinating. I could look for hours on the internet at different brands, types, etc., and hardly ever get bored. I can listen to a song just for the drums, sometimes even if that's the only redeeming feature. I can talk to guys at length about drums and drumming, and I'd be one of those guys standing around a kit ogling it like a gearhead ogles a hot rod.
I live for the studio. I live for the stage. I'm infected. I got it bad. The Burning Fire Degrees™.