Whenever you come across a used drum set, why is it that..............?

There may also be another psychological aspect at play here, as well: put a new head on a high end drum and someone may think it's a lemon (ie. never been or can't be played) or possibly stolen, but keep the old heads on it and someone may think the seller has outgrown the sound or really needs the money (ie. regardless of the reason for selling, it's still a good instrument).

Though for me the psychological aspect is, "This is a guy who hasn't taken care of his stuff or maybe it is possibly stolen, otherwise why wouldn't they change the head?" Maybe the best compromise is to have a slightly used head on there, not one that is beat to hell or brand new.

Though for me the psychological aspect is, "This is a guy who hasn't taken care of his stuff or maybe it is possibly stolen, otherwise why wouldn't they change the head?" Maybe the best compromise is to have a slightly used head on there, not one that is beat to hell or brand new.

This was my MO when I sold my Sledgehammer last year. I didn't change the batter, but since it was my #2 snare it wasn't trashed. It looked like a drum in great shape that had been played by someone who knows what he's doing, not a trashed drum that looks like someone had been dropping rocks on it from the third story of a burning building for seven hours.

Attachments

• 20180903_122144_crop.jpg
    20180903_122144_crop.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 216
I've sold a few high-end drums over the years and on more than one occasion, serious buyers have asked about the type and/or condition of the drum heads. Really? You're about to drop more than two grand on a kit and you're worried about something that would cost a fraction of that amount if replacement were necessary. If the heads were shot, that's a deal breaker?

I've sold a few high-end drums over the years and on more than one occasion, serious buyers have asked about the type and/or condition of the drum heads. Really? You're about to drop more than two grand on a kit and you're worried about something that would cost a fraction of that amount if replacement were necessary. If the heads were shot, that's a deal breaker?

It is understandable though because having to replace the full set of heads isn't cheap and they can take that in account when making an offer. For example if the heads are the brand and model you use and are in perfect shape you might be willing to pay $200 more than if they are beat to hell and you have to replace every head on the whole drumset.

That shouldn't be a deal breaker but it's clearly not some kind of detail you can ignore when you buy secondhand. Typically a kit - even high end with classic heads (Ambassador / emperor / Ps 3), you know you can deal with it, but some have CS on the 12 and the 13 and the old original head on the 16, a triple threat on the snare, you already know you'll need to replace everything right from the start.

I bought an old high end kit recently, I just kept the original front head and the SK2, all the other head were taped like hell, the reso heads were dead (25 YO), the batter were ... Really battered. It's more than 150€ to replace all that. Not a detail.

On the other hand, when I spot an 90's kit with the original skins still on, I know it hasn't been through many bashing / concert - but the refresh will cost.

Last edited:
What I love are mods or maintenance that have been done by someone who knows absolutely nothing about drums. I've seen single ply Pearl drums where the shell is covered with old residue from duct/gaffer's tape. Once the gunk was gently removed the finish looked fine. They also had put a snare side hoop on the batter side. All hoops are not created equal! I also worked on a Supra that someone had done a really bad spray paint job on. They had taped off the badge but then did the sloppiest paint job that I've seen. They should have had a street corner "spray paint artist" do it. If the "Supra acne" bothers you that much take it to a car paint shop and get an estimate. As to Craig's list I stopped bothering with that years ago. You don't know who you're inviting into your home. If they come in looking like they're casing out your house then get the shot gun ready. No thanks! I don't like filling out police reports.

As to Craig's list I stopped bothering with that years ago. You don't know who you're inviting into your home. If they come in looking like they're casing out your house then get the shot gun ready. No thanks! I don't like filling out police reports.
Any and all of my CL transactions, eBay pickups, Auto sales have taken place in the Frys Electronics parking lot. At least I found a great use for the store!

Any and all of my CL transactions, eBay pickups, Auto sales have taken place in the Frys Electronics parking lot. At least I found a great use for the store!

No doubt that's a prudent thing to do.

I, however, am guilty of finalizing pretty much every Craigslist, Kijiji, etc. transaction I've made either in my home or at the seller's place. Foolish, I know, but by that time I feel like I've already sussed the other party out. Foolish, I know.

I did that once at a local shopping center where I did a lost of business with the merchants. All went great until a cop pulled up. She probably though that there was something illicit going on. I didn't mind. She was funny and easy on the eyes8^).

Folks must be looking at the bottom of the barrel for deals in drum sets because I don't see any busted up junk at all.

The last set I bought was a good deal at a price meant to move and when I asked about the condition, he said it was in very nice condition and I bought it.
And it was in very nice condition. How hard is that?

I’ve got a few

-Bass drum says DW, lugs and badges say PDP

-used discontinued kits cost as much as new discontinued kits because they’ve “never been used live”

-No delivery but lives in the middle of nowhere, 10$ discount if you come pick it up

-Different heads on all toms

-find a kit, wonder if it’s too good for the money, click on description and boom, it has a 26x22 kick

-Perfect kit that meets all criteria but find out it has a suspended floor tom (every time)

-sometimes the seller lists a “full kit” comprised of a kick, snare and rack tom with no floor tom, says they will compensate for the floor tom by adding a kick pedal (i’ve seen one or two)

It’s really hard to find good used deals now

It’s amazing how many used kits have been “barely played.” Many are listed as being played for less than an hour. Sometimes pics show heads that clearly show significant use lol. There is apparently an entire class of drummers who drop hundreds, or thousands of dollars <substitute appropriate local currency> on gear for no reason.

Yes, I understand that some of these post are legit, though the number of listings that make such claims is disproportionate to reality. I myself have several snares and even a few kits that I rarely get to because I just have too much gear.

Seller wants MORE money than they paid for their beat-to-crap Mapex Tornado kit because it has been "professionally tuned" (a year ago)
Comes with original (dented and beat up) heads - listed as a feature

Hahahahahahaha

And theyre ultimately going to be changed anyway

I actually always ask about condition of the heads, and pics if possible. My reasoning is that condition of the heads is often indicative of the overall condition of the drums. If the heads are worn and pitted, I&#8217;m thinking the kit wasn&#8217;t well taken care of. Looked at a used kit years ago with old dented heads; turned out the bearing edges on 2 of the toms were dinged up. No thanks, I&#8217;ll pass.

Last edited:
Sure it is a consideration, because buyer is evaluating your kit vs others for sale. You're not selling in a vacuum you're competing in the marketplace. If buyer has to replace heads on your kit and it's a $1,700 kit, then your kit is 10% more expensive than comparable kits with heads that don't need replacing.

On vintage kits I look for an original head that has not been played too much. That indicates the drum has not been used much over the last 40 or however many years. If it has a brand new head that's cool, but that means the drum has been used more and potential for more issues.

Back