Whenever you come across a used drum set, why is it that..............?

I came across this thread after dealing with yet two more craigslist idiots lol !

I don't even do craigslist anymore. I used to buy/sell/trade a lot on craigslist in the early days when you could get good deals. Now, around here at least, everyone wants a ton more than what anything is worth (e.g. the guy who wants $400 for an SPL kit).

I don't even do craigslist anymore. I used to buy/sell/trade a lot on craigslist in the early days when you could get good deals. Now, around here at least, everyone wants a ton more than what anything is worth (e.g. the guy who wants $400 for an SPL kit).

Yup exactly ! Lol!

The whole price is firm thing and then having a dollar amount with obo next to it is so asinine . It leaves prospective buyers scratching their heads and either not calling or calling to see what the deal is ( like I’ve done) and getting all kinds of ridiculous answers and explanations. It’s absolutely infuriating and like you , I’m pretty much done with CL after this mornings conversations .

One of our local music stores sells entry level kits at about 200% markup, so every now and again I'll see a Tama Imperialstar with "symbols" on sale for $1200 or something. "Paid over $1600 brand new!" Well, Bobby, just because you're an idiot doesn't mean everyone else is. I'll give you $350 for it.

Not junk by any means, but the same clowns in my area have been advertising their Gretsch Renowns and even Catalenas for about $500 more than new for months.

It certainly doesn’t stop there, the “bargains” are across all brands. Not sure why CL has turned to such a pit, but everyone seems to think their stuff is gold.

It's a kit that I'd really love to own, and I don't have the cash! (recent sale of some Pearl Masters in an unusual color)...Doesn't stop me from looking though...

To the point of people selling their used gear for ridiculous prices, I'm laugh to myself when gear is described as "like new" or something like that to justify how much the seller is looking for.

It's still used! Lord knows how you've chosen to store/maintain this gear or how you actually played it.

"Looking to trade" has always baffled me.

What are the chances I have the exact piece of gear you're looking for?

How many stars have to align for us to make this transaction?

Yep, and how about that 'Remo Ambassador Snare Drum' that keeps coming up for sale? Those are really popular...

Those are ones worth checking out though. I once picked up a used Supraphonic for next to nothing because it was listed as a "Remo Emperor" snare.

...there is always pet hair, dust, ganja, birdfeathers, and various debris stuck along the reso side bearing edge(s) mostly on floor toms

Batter and reso heads are reversed on the bass drum. Usually expected since you can see the bass backwards in the pic

It's never the actual owner selling the gear... It's always the brother, dad, cousin, buddy or ex-wife selling the owner's gear

The kind of set you REALLY want never lists at reasonable prices, so you always end up buying the almost right kit 'cause the deal is good and includes trinkets you don't need

I think that's a new brand.....Awkward Drums. How do they hit that bongo thing in the back?

Is it were Remo/Evans? That's what the white cover thingys say. Nice simbols to. That one with the hoals and chain is rare. I think it's an Zilgen Rattler or something like that.

I never understand why you see high end snare drums for sale that appear to be in very nice condition, but the seller posts a picture with a batter head that looks like it lost a war. Spend $15, it would look like a new drum. Guitar center does this....go figure.

I never understand why you see high end snare drums for sale that appear to be in very nice condition, but the seller posts a picture with a batter head that looks like it lost a war. Spend $15, it would look like a new drum. Guitar center does this....go figure.

This is a universal selling stuff "technique". Guitars short a string, cars with non-working aircon ("just needs a re-gas"), anything you like that is non-working with magical words "a simple fix" in the description.

This is a universal selling stuff "technique". Guitars short a string, cars with non-working aircon ("just needs a re-gas"), anything you like that is non-working with magical words "a simple fix" in the description.

There may also be another psychological aspect at play here, as well: put a new head on a high end drum and someone may think it's a lemon (ie. never been or can't be played) or possibly stolen, but keep the old heads on it and someone may think the seller has outgrown the sound or really needs the money (ie. regardless of the reason for selling, it's still a good instrument).

Back