When your kit is all floor toms...

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Many moons ago I saw a promo pic of Blas Elias from Slaughter with a double bass kit. The rack tom in front was just another floor tom & it gave me an idea.
Fast forward to now & after refurbing a 14x12 marching snare, I added floor tom legs & tried this out.
I must say it has an interesting sound & a look many find hard to look at.

Attachments

SomeBadDrummer

Many moons ago I saw a promo pic of Blas Elias from Slaughter with a double bass kit. The rack tom in front was just another floor tom & it gave me an idea.
Fast forward to now & after refurbing a 14x12 marching snare, I added floor tom legs & tried this out.
I must say it has an interesting sound & a look many find hard to look at.
Man that's a deep snare for a kit! Bet it thunders! Interesting concept...Not hard to look at for me, I'm pretty ugly so everything else tends to look good to me.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Man that's a monster kit-what kind of tuning range you get with the three floors? Do you have a descending pitch sequence? So I see three slave pedals-kick, hats , is that both kicks? or one of the three a clave or something? I can't see room for your leg.

mikyok

Platinum Member
That's a beefy 5 piece!

As long as you're comfortable playing it that's all that counts. It looks fun to play.

Just make sure the venue you're playing doesn't have a noise limiter 😉

IBitePrettyHard

Looking at all these pictures is making one thing very apparent: rack toms takes up a LOT of valuable real estate on the kit. You not only need the space to fit them, but you need breathing room around and in front of them to avoiding hitting anything else.

Seems like such a simplistic and "duh" type of realization to make, but look at all that room! You could fit 20 cymbals in there if you tried, lol.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Looking at all these pictures is making one thing very apparent: rack toms takes up a LOT of valuable real estate on the kit. You not only need the space to fit them, but you need breathing room around and in front of them to avoiding hitting anything else.

Seems like such a simplistic and "duh" type of realization to make, but look at all that room! You could fit 20 cymbals in there if you tried, lol.
Then there's Vlad Ulasevich from the metal band Jinjer who doesn't use a rack tom at all. 2 floors and a butt-load of cymbals work for him.
This is another experiment I'd like to try.

Looks really cool...how does it play?
Loud. The larger size drums makes for easy access to them, but arrangement is crucial. The rack floor is also a "snom" if I really get "not enough snares" syndrome. 😁

Man that's a monster kit-what kind of tuning range you get with the three floors? Do you have a descending pitch sequence? So I see three slave pedals-kick, hats , is that both kicks? or one of the three a clave or something? I can't see room for your leg.
I start with the 16x16 & work up from there. The pedal to the left of the hat is just another 5k single on a Jam Block. I'm proud that I was able to match all 3 as it pleases my OCD. :LOL:
I did have to spread the pedals out a bit with this snare as the long lugs take up more real estate. It's really just an experiment to see how it all works. It's good so far.

Man that's a deep snare for a kit! Bet it thunders! Interesting concept...Not hard to look at for me, I'm pretty ugly so everything else tends to look good to me.
I had a few fellow Redditers tell me it was hard to look at. Not sure why other than it's just "not the normal" than what most drummers play.
I for one have always been "that guy" who loves to do things really different & this is a great reflection of that attitude in action. ;)

Attachments