When you got your first drum kit, what was the very first song you worked on?

Probably what was popular at the time. Brown Sugar or Honky Tonk Women. Beatles tunes. House of the Rising Sun. It was around 1969 and I know I practiced solo to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida an inordinate amount of times. Wipeout but I was lousy at it. Still am.

Yeah, over here! Mine was red though.

Comfortably Numb was the first song I played to. Nice simple beats, simple fills, slow tempo, sorta long, dynamic changes, nice to listen to...

A beat that slow is often difficult for a beginner trying to keep good time. It's like trying to keep a bike balanced at 1 mph.

Last edited:
A beat that slow is often difficult for a beginner trying to keep good time. It's like trying to keep a bike balanced at 1mph.

For sure, and that's one of the reasons I think it was good for me. I definitely heard myself getting ahead of the beat, so it made me focus more on time.

A beat that slow is often difficult for a beginner trying to keep good time. It's like trying to keep a bike balanced at 1 mph.

space control!!! It took me 20 years - and a clinic with Peter Erskine - to realize how important space is to groove, and time keeping!!! That revolution changed the way I play and teach. It was huge...

Back