When you got your first drum kit, what was the very first song you worked on?

My first kit was a Roadshow.
My teacher suggested old Motown songs and the earlier Beatles for learning basic song form, so I picked out "Shotgun" by Junior Walker and the Allstars. Also I worked on the Beatles, "Hard Days Night"

My first full drumset that I owned was a Yamaha 60's Golden Dragon kit that I would kill to have back.

I had this like...best of The Beatles album that I played over and over again because I knew I wasn't good enough to tackle The Best of The Police quiet yet.

I think it was like the Red Album - so the early 60s stuff - all the poppy tunes.

Loved it - loved them.

My first kit was a Roadshow.
My teacher suggested old Motown songs and the earlier Beatles for learning basic song form, so I picked out "Shotgun" by Junior Walker and the Allstars. Also I worked on the Beatles, "Hard Days Night"
My first 'real' kit was a 70's Tama Royalstar 5 piece kit, which I added a couple of Remo rototoms for additional hitting surface.

This is the first album I played along with.

Perhaps looking back it was a pretty big undertaking, especially since I could barely keep the beat at 10 years old :ROFLMAO: .... but I believe being exposed to such music at an early age helped create in me a better grasp of tempo changes (lol), time signatures and a better feel for progressive rock/fusion/jazz drumming which I've used throughout my entire life. It led to many other things, so I am convinced that like toddlers who listen to classical such as Beethoven, Corelli, Braums, Mozart, etc., we are constantly absorbing everything going into our ears.

In the 80's when there was no streaming music, I used to go to the public library and check out classical greats (along with Black Sabbath and other HM records of the day that I didn't own at the time), if you have not heard it lately it is ver refreshing for an uplifting musical interlude.

Here's some Corelli:
and (yawn, although not really) Mozart:

The sooner the better to get complicated, stretches the mind body and soul.

Last edited:
When my dad and I went to pick up my first kit (a secondhand Pearl Export) my teacher Eric had set it up for me to “have a knock” while they went for a cup of tea and sorted out the money. The first tune that came into my head was Icehouse - “Electric Blue” so that’s what I proceeded to play for the next 10 minutes!! 😀 (y)

Whoa......first song with my made in Japan silver sparkle kit. I've pondered this awhile now. I'm thinking Cinnamon girl..Sins a good man's brother..walking in your shadow?..off of Uriah heeps first album. The intro for me gave me fits.
This is an awesome album

As a teenager, when I first got a drumset in my room I think I was practicing to Limp Bizkit and Korn songs. But the first song I learned all the way through (for the school pops concert) was AEnima by Tool.

We did okay! Of course much of my drum part was an abridged student version of Carey's groove. But I did nail those two clever polyrhythmic Carey hi-hat grooves just before (and during) the first vocal section. That's really all I wanted was to nail that section in front of the other teenagers, lol.

Last edited:
When my dad and I went to pick up my first kit (a secondhand Pearl Export) my teacher Eric had set it up for me to “have a knock” while they went for a cup of tea and sorted out the money. The first tune that came into my head was Icehouse - “Electric Blue” so that’s what I proceeded to play for the next 10 minutes!! 😀 (y)
Please note that while it appears he's playing an unmiced ekit, using a Tama Titan bass drum pedal

I had already been "playing" Beatles songs for quite some time on books and boxes before I got a real set. I can't remember the first song I played because I was just so damn excited and happy that I had a real drumset.

Please note that while it appears he's playing an unmiced ekit, using a Tama Titan bass drum pedal
Yeah, not sure what Paul Wheeler was thinking in that video; great drummer all the same! No prizes for guessing what year I got my first drum kit!! 😂 My beloved Prem 2000 COA snare came with the kit, as did a lovely pair of Zanki hi-hats…fond memories. Great thread @Suburbankidz !:)(y)

Yeah, not sure what Paul Wheeler was thinking in that video; great drummer all the same! No prizes for guessing what year I got my first drum kit!! 😂 My beloved Prem 2000 COA snare came with the kit, as did a lovely pair of Zanki hi-hats…fond memories. Great thread @Suburbankidz !:)(y)
Undoubtedly the engineers/video producers had their say, perhaps they didn't know squat about drums

Last edited:
I wish I could remember...but sadly, all I can remember from my first steps on the drums was I couldn't wait for school to end to run home and start wailing on that cheap second hand Export I saved all my allowances for. The agreement with the neighbours was no playing after dinner, so there was a limited window from about 4pm when school finished till around 6-7pm when my parents would shout that dinner was ready. The shouting never worked though...either they or my sisters had to physically run up to the attic to drag me down to dinner.

Back