When you got your first drum kit, what was the very first song you worked on?

Sebenza

I wish I could remember...but sadly, all I can remember from my first steps on the drums was I couldn't wait for school to end to run home and start wailing on that cheap second hand Export I saved all my allowances for. The agreement with the neighbours was no playing after dinner, so there was a limited window from about 4pm when school finished till around 6-7pm when my parents would shout that dinner was ready. The shouting never worked though...either they or my sisters had to physically run up to the attic to drag me down to dinner.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Got my first set at the end of 1969. "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was the first song I tried.

I had already been tapping out the drumsolo for months right before I got my first set.

My brother had the album but wouldn't let me use it so I lobbied for my own record, which didn't go over well with my Depression Era parents.

I did prevail which my dad wasn't too thrilled with at the time.

someguy01

Got my first set at the end of 1969. "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was the first song I tried.

I had already been tapping out the drumsolo for months right before I got my first set.

My brother had the album but wouldn't let me use it so I lobbied for my own record, which didn't go over well with my Depression Era parents.

I did prevail which my dad wasn't too thrilled with at the time.
You know Ron died a few days ago at age 79?
Charlie got his own thread, Ron Bushy got a footnote. Damn.

The Shepherd

A Roland TD-11 was my first drum kit, Pearl Forum came years later.

I can't remember the exact first song I tried playing but this one was certainly "the first day". Love this song, super cool guitar tone.

Justinhub2003

Keep on Rockin in the free world and Down by the River because my friend could play them on guitar

bud7h4

Silver Member
No idea. It was 1978 and I just started playing to records. Everything from Sabbath and Deep Purple to Aerosmith, Boston. Somehow I hadn't even heard of Zeppelin, Rush or AC/DC until a year later when I moved to the States.

Don't know what my first kit was. No badges, completely generic mounting hardware. It looked like something a guy made in his garage.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I just remember I didn't have much to chose from because I mostly had records and it was difficult (impossible?) to put on a record and play drums without the needle skipping. And I only had a few songs on cassette at the time, mostly recorded off the radio.

And for some reason, one of the songs was Eminence Front by the Who, which seemed like a good place to start since the song was mostly a repetitive drum part.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

my first drum kit was (is) my dads 55 Ludwig; in 1977, as an 8 year old, I would come home from school and play along to The Jackson 5, Styx, The Temptations....I think the very first song I worked on without dads help was "Going Back to Indiana" by the J5

with dad's help, it was "Take 5" by Brubeck

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I wish I could remember...but sadly, all I can remember from my first steps on the drums was I couldn't wait for school to end to run home and start wailing on that cheap second hand Export I saved all my allowances for. The agreement with the neighbours was no playing after dinner, so there was a limited window from about 4pm when school finished till around 6-7pm when my parents would shout that dinner was ready. The shouting never worked though...either they or my sisters had to physically run up to the attic to drag me down to dinner.

this was pretty much my existence from 1st grade on until I got a car. And then the only thing that kept me from drumming that much was my job...which I needed to by more drum/bass stuff

when I couldn't make noise on the real drums, I would go to the practice pad, and/or my bass guitar

NackAttack

I played on a Frankenstein kit for a while and I don’t even really know what brands it contained. My first real set was a 5pc vintage Vistalite. The first thing I remember playing (trying to play) was probably Big News by Clutch. It very well could have been something by RATM or Korn though. I was obsessed with those bands and with playing the drums. And other things that make for fuzzy memories.

Out of Round

The drums were new silver CB-700s with a only a 20" Camber II ride. The song unfortunately might've been "The Heart of Rock and Roll" by Huey Lewis and the News. It's the earliest drum play-along thru headphones to the radio memory that I can recall for some reason.

Either that or something off of Def Leppard Pyromania, but without the cowbell. What a racket that must've been.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

The drums were new silver CB-700s with a only a 20" Camber II ride. The song unfortunately might've been "The Heart of Rock and Roll" by Huey Lewis and the News. It's the earliest drum play-along thru headphones to the radio memory that I can recall for some reason.

Either that or something off of Def Leppard Pyromania, but without the cowbell. What a racket that must've been.

man...silver CB-700's and Camber "cymbals"...you just described the bedroom drum sets of a lot of my friends back in the early 80's