When did jazz drumming become 32nd note linear funk?

If it doesn't swing, it's not worth listening to. A lot of jazz I have heard lately sounds nervous. It's not for me. The guy who used to run cymbaholic sent me a tape of his jazz big band. It was very angular and didn't swing at all.
I have always remembered a reference of Jaco, in his biography, where he is quoted as saying the same thing in regards to some musician's artistic-jazzy-noodlings.

I stuck with me. It's music, it needs to move the listener. Otherwise it's just audio-math. The mathematics of noise. The difference between noise and music...it's gotta swing man.

I have always remembered a reference of Jaco, in his biography, where he is quoted as saying the same thing in regards to some musician's artistic-jazzy-noodlings.

I stuck with me. It's music, it needs to move the listener. Otherwise it's just audio-math. The mathematics of noise. The difference between noise and music...it's gotta swing man.

I like that. Audio Math. Good description of some of the purported music posted on this thread. Sterile is another word.

The thing is that this music does move some people just as the music that moves you may be inert to others. Never a good idea to judge art (or music) by what it isn’t.

Re-reading my post I don't believe I said it didn't move me.

Jazz moves some.

Prog moves some.

Doo-Wop moves others.

Never a good idea to judge posts (or replies) by what they aren't.

Is it the jazz police? Or just two people talking past each other and misunderstanding?

That's where I was, but hey, you know take it how you like. All good.

Mom the jazz police are here they say you aren't swinging!

Tell them i'm making dinner honey

She says come back later!

and that the drums are too loud....

Drums in the big band era actually had *more* freedom, because they had a rhythm section. EG, they weren't really responsible for keeping the time or form, that was the rhythm guitars job. They were more there for providing accent, and emphasizing what the rhythm section was doing or even playing contrasting parts. The rhythm section could be very quiet compared to a horn section especially in the old days before amps, so the drums were the lead instruments of the section.

Back