When can you call yourself a drummer?

A drummer is someone who plays drums or just a single drum like a guy in a marching band. Nobody said a drummer had to be awesome to be called a drummer he/she will be called a drummer because he/she plays drums how good he/she plays then merit the label "good drummer" or "shitty drummer".
In my case im a good drummer that can play shitty sometimes. Or a shitty drummer that can play good sometimes?. Right down the middle.

A lot of people here are overthinking the hell out of this.. you are a drummer if you play a drum or a drum set, you don't have to be good, you just have to play. Now if YOU set yourself to the standard that you might never attain to be able to call yourself a drummer, then that is YOU. I guess a lot of people here are thinking on calling someone a drummer as in a profession not just as the adjective. I have been playing drums for about 35 years, I have toured and played multiple venues from nice ones to very sketchy bars, I have recorded many original songs as well as many covers. I don't do this for a living so I am NOT a drummer??

Over myself?? I was not attacking anyone just stating that a lot are overthinking it but if you feel better by attacking others then go for it you need more help than I do.
Ok just thinking that capitalized YOUs in response to my post are generalized to no one in specific - heady play there.

Hey if you want to be called everything under the sun the so be it, you can do that.
Do you want to be decorated for participation too?

So people who call themselves drummers but have never touched a drum are still drummers then?

I'm now a velociraptor because this states I can be whatever I want through declaration only. Screw it, I'm a flying velociraptor.

Yes, if they want to. Being “a drummer” isn’t some elitist club you have to earn entry to. If I decide I want to start painting, I’m a painter, even if I’ve got my very first lesson next week.

I’m going to ignore your velociraptor comment.

This forum is called DRUMMERWORLD

200.gif

I have been playing drums for about 35 years, I have toured and played multiple venues from nice ones to very sketchy bars, I have recorded many original songs as well as many covers. I don't do this for a living so I am NOT a drummer??
I would say yes.
I started playing on a kit with other people in 1986 & haven't stopped since. Sure, there were years when my drumming was just with me & some band on my headphones.
But I still played.
That way, when I did get with other people, I didn't miss a beat (pun intended).

IMO what makes a person a "pro drummer" is one who makes money for their ability (Think our own Bermuda).
Semi-pro would be a bar basher who isn't doing it for a living, but has fun money at the end of the night.

There's a good chance you're a drummer if you peruse the craigslist ads for "drummer wanted" or "drummer needed".

The odds are also in your favor if you've purchased your own drum set and have it setup in your garage. Even better if it's next to your bed or in your living room. Any name brand cymbal purchases and the deal is done.

Last edited:
Conversely, I don't think you can be a drummer without owning or having owned a set of drums, whether purchased or given to you.

Literally speaking, the first human to beat out a rhythm on their chest was a drummer, and most of us here are a specific kind of drummer called a trap kit player.

Admittedly, I have not read all the previous posts but I’ve wanted to ask this question here recently as well.

I’m bass player. I’ve been paid professionally as a bass player for sometime and consider it my main instrument.

I’ve played the piano since I was 4, but I wouldn’t call it my best instrument.

I only recently started playing the drums, but I’ve always wanted to learn my entire life. I always used to bang on stuff, tap stuff and when I got older, I started getting all kinds of percussion instruments. But felt like a full kit wasn’t attainable with my living circumstances

All in all:
I’d definitely call myself a bassist. I’d feel iffy calling myself a pianist. Definitely wouldn’t call myself a drummer, but would love to.

oh and I sing too but definitely wouldn’t call myself a singer, let alone a “vocalist” *shiver*

Last edited:
There's a good chance you're a drummer if you peruse the craigslist ads for "drummer wanted" or "drummer needed".

The odds are also in your favor if you've purchased your own drum set and have it setup in your garage. Even better if it's next to your bed or in your living room. Any name brand cymbal purchases and the deal is done.
That’s what I’m saying. The first part and second part apply to me, however, I just can’t call myself a drummer. To be a drummer is honorary in my book.

I’ve never got the call, I don’t look at joining a band, and I really don’t care to work in the gig.

The Spector like music industry moguls or local bar owners playing Agent Gatekeeper is not for me.

I love drums, and drums are my passion not show business -

That’s what I’m saying. The first part and second part apply to me, however, I just can’t call myself a drummer. To be a drummer is honorary in my book.

I’ve never got the call, I don’t look at joining a band, and I really don’t care to work in the gig.

The Spector like music industry moguls or local bar owners playing Agent Gatekeeper is not for me.

I love drums, and drums are my passion not show business -
This is 10-tom Ransan?? I'm guessing you don't like the drummer label because you don't want the word getting out - "hey, Ransan's a drummer, I bet he would like to [play in your band, or play a drum solo for us, or]". LOL

It’s not mate, honestly...a drummer is just someone who plays a drum or drums. (y)
IIRC, a "drummer" in today's parlance is someone who plays primarily drum set. A "percussionist" is reserved for those that play percussive instruments that aren't drum set, but can also include drum set as an additional instrument.

Ha! I like this.
I prefer to be a known as “the drummer” in my band, as opposed to “a drummer”.

Admittedly, I have not read all the previous posts but I’ve wanted to ask this question here recently as well.

I’m bass player. I’ve been paid professionally as a bass player for sometime and consider it my main instrument.

I’ve played the piano since I was 4, but I wouldn’t call it my best instrument.

I only recently started playing the drums, but I’ve always wanted to learn my entire life. I always used to bang on stuff, tap stuff and when I got older, I started getting all kinds of percussion instruments. But felt like a full kit wasn’t attainable with my living circumstances

All in all:
I’d definitely call myself a bassist. I’d feel iffy calling myself a pianist. Definitely wouldn’t call myself a drummer, but would love to.

oh and I sing too but definitely wouldn’t call myself a singer, let alone a “vocalist” *shiver*

I concur with your reasoning. Further examples:

I can throw a football, but I'm not a quarterback.

I can prepare a meal, but I'm not a chef.

I can change the oil on my truck, but I'm not a mechanic.

I'm most definitely a drummer though.

I don't believe someone is a drummer simply because he or she can sit behind a kit and hold a basic beat, just as someone isn't a physician simply because he or she can apply a bandage to a minor cut. Drumming, like any other undertaking, requires commitment and hard-earned proficiency. When a band is searching for a drummer, a certain degree of know-how is a prerequisite. Yes, skill levels will vary, but a demonstration of competence and a willingness to take the instrument seriously should be universal qualities.

Last edited:
I am a decent drummer, a poor guitarist, and a so-so singer. I think of myself as a musician who plays drums. I do not think of myself as a singer, even though I have sung in bands almost as long as I have played drums in bands. Peace and goodwill.

I concur with your reasoning. Further examples:

I can throw a football, but I'm not a quarterback.

I can prepare a meal, but I'm not a chef.

I can change the oil on my truck, but I'm not a mechanic.

I'm most definitely a drummer though.

I don't believe someone is a drummer simply because he or she can sit behind a kit and hold a basic beat, just as someone isn't a physician simply because he or she can apply a bandage to a minor cut. Drumming, like any other undertaking, requires commitment and hard-earned proficiency. When a band is searching for a drummer, a certain degree of know-how is a prerequisite. Yes, skill levels will vary, but a demonstration of competence and a willingness to take the instrument seriously should be a universal trait.
Thanks CM - this is is what I am mostly in line with, though I don't gauge skill nor seriousness as prerequisites, we can go down a worm hole of historical artists.

Being a drummer to me, is you get a calling of some sort, on any level; and, occupies a completely different energy than simply playing them, which I enjoy quite a lot.

Nobody will have an issue with you sexually identifying yourself as a flying velociraptor... I identify as an Apache helicopter..

I identify as a billionaire....now where is my money?

:( Related occurrences?

on certain days, I think that my middle school kids added some plaque to the arteries, or some high blood pressure!!!

Back