When Buying a Used Kit

MntnMan62

So, I was looking at a kit on Reverb that fulfilled what I am looking for in a kit that I intend to use for gigs and playing outside of my home. It is a 5 piece kit marketed as a shell pack with no snare. So, bass drum and 4 toms, two up and two down. The pictures weren't all that great but it appeared that the two upper toms were mounted to cymbal/tom combo stands and quite possibly the smaller of the two lower toms as well. So in inquired about whether the stands were included since they are essential to being able to play them. The response I got was no, they are not included but he could include some stands of a different make than the drums for an additional sum, which he did not mention.

So, why would I buy a kit knowing I'm going to have to go searching for two or maybe even three stands to mount the toms on? Am I being unrealistic? I haven't bought a used kit before. I've certainly drum stuff including a snare online but not an entire kit. If I'm not looking at this from the right perspective I figure someone here can set me straight.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I figure someone here can set me straight.
You will have to buy stands from which to mount the toms. Either from the seller or from another source. You have to decide if/how to haggle and how to manage the hardware decisions.

MntnMan62

Ok. Checking ebay and there are no tom stands that are used being offered. I see new ones and if I need three of them I'll spend more on stands than I am for the drums. That seems crazy. And the stands he's offering are a different make. I'm beginning to think I need to keep looking. It's a shame because the drums appear to be in good shape.

Justinhub2003

So, I was looking at a kit on Reverb that fulfilled what I am looking for in a kit that I intend to use for gigs and playing outside of my home. It is a 5 piece kit marketed as a shell pack with no snare. So, bass drum and 4 toms, two up and two down. The pictures weren't all that great but it appeared that the two upper toms were mounted to cymbal/tom combo stands and quite possibly the smaller of the two lower toms as well. So in inquired about whether the stands were included since they are essential to being able to play them. The response I got was no, they are not included but he could include some stands of a different make than the drums for an additional sum, which he did not mention.

So, why would I buy a kit knowing I'm going to have to go searching for two or maybe even three stands to mount the toms on? Am I being unrealistic? I haven't bought a used kit before. I've certainly drum stuff including a snare online but not an entire kit. If I'm not looking at this from the right perspective I figure someone here can set me straight.
This is normal. If you bought this shell pack at a drum store, they’d give the the mounts but not the actual Stand to mount them too.
I mound both toms between my snare via a DW 9000 airlift stand but your gonna need cymbals and cymbal stands any way so you just mount to those or buy a Tom mount stand

MntnMan62

The only reason I need the tom mounts is because the toms aren't mounted onto the bass drum. I guess I should keep looking for a kit that has two toms that are mounted on the bass drum and two legitimate floor toms rather than ones that get mounted to a stand.

harryconway

Platinum Member
So, bass drum and 4 toms, two up and two down. The pictures weren't all that great but it appeared that the two upper toms were mounted to cymbal/tom combo stands and quite possibly the smaller of the two lower toms as well. ...... The response I got was no, they are not included ....

If I'm not looking at this from the right perspective I figure someone here can set me straight.
Sure would help if you provided a link to the add. Extra set of eyes ..... and you'd get a whole lot of thumbs up/down on what to do.

But .... just the general tone of your post, maybe you should pass. It's just not the kit for you.

That said .... a lot of drum kits are sold this way. Take the Mapex Armory, for example. $899, for two rack toms, two floor toms, and a bass drum. No stands. The toms holders (for the rack toms) attach to cymbal stands. Totally do-able, in my case, since I have quite a few Yamaha stands ready, willing, and able to meet the challenge. And a hex rack. For guys with the extra hardware at home already, this would be a totally valid purchase.

Attachments

C.M. Jones

I'm with @roncadillac when it comes to avoiding the preowned market. Yes, there are deals to be had, sometimes very good ones, but there are also lemons among the lower price tags, and the risks are greater than the potential benefits to me. When I buy brand-new Pearl equipment -- the only drums and hardware I ever buy -- I get factory-fresh materials backed by Pearl's lifetime warranty. I'd rather pay more and worry less, if that makes sense.

Because you have reservations about this kit, it's probably wise to move on.

RayI

I agree with above responses, in that it doesn't sound like your too thrilled about this purchase.
If you do a cost analysis by time you buy this 5pc with no snare and all the other hardware , you'd be better off buying a new 5pc kit with snare that has bass drum mounted hardware for the toms.
Just say ...
Good luck