What's Your Signature Fill?

Icetech

Gold Member
I have a cool one that i do where i sort of pause and stutter like i have nothing in my brain and just can't seem to pull something up... Its very convincing :)

_Leviathan_

The quadluplet, a triplet between the snare, rack tom, floor tom, and then another bass drum hit. I like doing it forwards (LLR then Kick, going from snare, to rack tom, to floor tom, then kick) or backwards (RLL then kick, going from floor tom to rack tom to snare then kick) or rack tom, rack tom, snare, bass. Drummers like Bonham and Matt Cameron drilled that fill in my head from a pretty young age.

JustJames

Platinum Member
In my mind it crystallises as a piece of percussive poetry. It will resolve the tensions built up in the song thus far and bring peace and tranquility to the listener. Lady listeners will feel their undergarments moving towards the floor. Gentleman listeners will wish I was their friend. Children will wish I was their father. The fill that I can feel welling up within me will bring world peace, end hunger and cure diseases, unify all scientific theories and unravel religious discord.

And then I play a roll of quarter notes from the snare and across the three toms.

supermac

Starting a fill with a flam, swiss triplets, or a short flurry of 16th note triplets.

I've done it for so long, it sometimes feels like a bad habit!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
In my mind it crystallises as a piece of percussive poetry. It will resolve the tensions built up in the song thus far and bring peace and tranquility to the listener. Lady listeners will feel their undergarments moving towards the floor. Gentleman listeners will wish I was their friend. Children will wish I was their father. The fill that I can feel welling up within me will bring world peace, end hunger and cure diseases, unify all scientific theories and unravel religious discord.

And then I play a roll of quarter notes from the snare and across the three toms.
He is the Most Interesting Drummer in the world.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Realizing that a drum "fill" is a bit of a four letter word around here (ha!), I think we all have that one drum fill we strategically keep in our back pocket until we let loose and totally wow and astound our family, friends, loved ones, soon-to-be girlfriends/boyfriends, and/or sworn enemies. The impact is especially felt when you play straight time both before and after said fill, leaving the room temporarily befuddled and awestruck as to that one fleeting moment when you drew thunder from the Gods.

So how about it? What's that one lick that proves to the world you are one bad mofo?

Personally, I love the play a 16th note triplet fill between my hands and feet. Left hand on snare on 1 + 3 and the rest of the fill on the upper tom; right hand on the floor tom. Surprisingly effective for a relatively easy fill, especially at BPM greater than 100.

Lfrflf Rflfrf Lfrflf Rflfrf
For me ,it's usually a diddly diddle pattern , some inverted six stroke rolls with maybe a 16 note hi hat flourish of some sorts.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Lately I've really been liking to do paradiddle-ish things between the snare, toms, and kick. I hit the snare and a tom at the same time to give it a more powerful feel. K(RL)(RL)K(RL)K(RL)(RL)K(RL)KK(RL)K(RL)(RL)

So I guess you could say it's starting to become a signature fill of mine.

moxman

Silver Member
No signature.. but I love playing big melodic tom fills that fit the music - with a right hand lead on the toms and left hand playing alternating ghost notes on the snare. Really simple but effective and it grooves.

.. and re: cowbell
I love playing cowbell parts with my left hand, and play the Hats and snare with my right hand. Eg. Honky Tonk Woman.. play the CB/left and the standard Carlie Watts pattern with the right. You can some really syncopated grooves with that.. Note: I always position my CB just above the Hats on my left on a stand (with other percussion).