What's your Practice Regiment?

aarono2690

I go to our church just about every Monday morning (I am retired). I take two drum books with me: Stick Control and Syncopation for the Modern Drummer. I turn off the snare wires and play one column from Stick Control. Then I play two pages from Syncopation... on the snare with both hands, then with one hand on the hats, then playing hats and bass drum I play it with one hand on the snare, finally I play it on the bass drum while keeping time on the hats and snare. After about an hour of that, I whack out and go home. It really seems to help my drumming. Peace and goodwill.
Can you pick a page and exercise of Syncopation and expand upon this?

Walk me through how you’d practice a specific exercise.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Can you pick a page and exercise of Syncopation and expand upon this?

Walk me through how you’d practice a specific exercise.

OK, go to pages 10 and 11
1. I play all 15 exercises on the snare with the snare wires off so that it is not as loud. I play them using both hands, and I play quarter notes on the bass drum. Then I play the "20 Bar Exercise" the same way.
2. I play the same thing using one hand on the hi-hats, usually a bit slower than I played using both hands. I still play quarter notes on the bass drum and backbeat on the snare if I can.
3. I play the same thing using one hand on the snare, usually a bit slower than when I played the hats. I still play quarter notes on the bass drums and play eighth note on the hats if I can.
4. I play the same thing on the bass drum, usually a bit slower than when I played the snare. I try the play backbeat on the snare and eighth notes on the hats.

The next week I go to the next two pages. This week I will be using pages 29-31. I hope this helped. Peace and goodwill.