What's your most important gear that is NOT drum set related.

SharkSandwich

Forgive me if this has been done before but it occurred to me that I have a few non-drum related pieces of
gear that are critical to gigging. What are yours?

Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Rock and Roller cart. I can't believe I gigged for so many years before getting one of these!

2. A Leatherman type multi tool. I had to do an emergency snare repair between sets and this thing saved my bacon.

3. An LED headlamp. I struggled to see on dark stages for along time before I saw our sound person wearing one of these. I look like a dork but it makes packing up a LOT easier.

The cheapest, most generic bic ballpoint pen and a plain piece of 8.5"x11" paper folded up in my stickbag or the pocket of one of my cases. I don't know how y'all play, but I need a setlist everytime. It's not loaded into a fancy system, it's often not finalized until just before time, and sure I can probably remember it, but we all need our rituals and security blankets, right? It's crazy how much time you can waste asking around for these items at a gig.

I've used my snare head, the back of receipts (sucks when they have a waxy treatment on them), napkins (the worst)... I've used giant sharpies, little golf pencils, highlighters (dumb)...

Me demented, yet dependable brain. It makes all the other bits go.

A fan! Gigs can be miserable without one. I even bring them in the winter for indoor gigs.

42UaCNM.png

My Tama RW200 Rhythm Watch to not speed things up because of adrenaline. No sound, just keeping an eye on the blinking LED so I'm able to count in on point and keep the tempo in sync with the band, not with the metronome - but can still see if we're going to fast/slow later in the song.

A fan! Gigs can be miserable without one. I even bring them in the winter for indoor gigs.

42UaCNM.png
Is that an SQ2 add-on for the kit in the other thread?

I have the same (Lasko branded) and it gets my vote as well. The humidity and heat is incredible here. It is very directional, so it is easy to keep out of the overheads. It also provides a place to plug in my headphone amp and tablet charger.

My Tama RW200 Rhythm Watch to not speed things up because of adrenaline. No sound, just keeping an eye on the blinking LED so I'm able to count in on point and keep the tempo in sync with the band, not with the metronome - but can still see if we're going to fast/slow later in the song.

Me too! This and LiveBPM, together. After a bunch of years using this combo I'm less dependent on them than I used to be but it still keeps everything in line, tempos relaxed, greasy & groovy. I subbed for a band recently, just did my part and didn't want to insert my opinion on how things should be done, but... Oh, man did that guitarist go off to the races on so many of the guitar intro songs. Made me really appreciate my band's management of tempos.

Well, it's a guitarist thing, rock guitarist I would say, they always accelerate when it's easy and slow it down when they struggle...
For me, good IEM is number one...I always had the light and the setlist printed etc...

Of course, I forgot a fan! In the summer here, it's a must.

I also have a rollup extension with a quad outlet for my mixer, tablet and fan.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 4.25.36 PM.png

for me it is a fan, my camping headlamp for rooms that are too dark for set up/tear down, and my carpet.

The carpet has been the most used lifesaver. It is still very surprising to me how many places don't have carpeted stages/drum risers...

for me it is a fan, my camping headlamp for rooms that are too dark for set up/tear down, and my carpet.

The carpet has been the most used lifesaver. It is still very surprising to me how many places don't have carpeted stages/drum risers...
Yes! The drum rug. I never leave home without it. Not for a gig, anyway.

42UaCNM.png
GREAT answer. I picked up a compact fan at CVS two decades ago for, I don't know, $15. And it's been a lifesaver.

For outdoor gigs, I always bring a 10' x 10' pop-up sun shade. Playing in direct sun is the worst!

Last edited:
Wedge-It. Keeps stage doors propped open for ease of load in and has on several occasions prevented me from being locked out with some of my gear still parked inside smaller venues.

Wedge-It.jpg

Back