What's your latest purchase?

Sorry for such a short and useless response! Here we go:

I've owned three professional pairs of hi hats in my life; 13" A Custom top, Mastersound bottom (unfortunately stolen a few years ago), 15" New Beats and 14" K Custom Session Hats. I've had fun with all three over the past 15+ years, but I had found pretty big flaws with each. The Fat Hats seem to round out a lot of the flaws the other ones had.

the 13" pair was really fun and bright. All of the sound characteristics you would want from a 13 pair, but sounded pretty wimpy when played open.

The 15" pair was amazing for when I started playing out a lot in my late teens/early 20's. They projected really well from the stage and cut through the loud guitars I was playing with. However, they are like manhole covers. Super thick, don't feel great to play and not my favorite sound in the studio under mics.

The 14" K Custom Session Hats are awesome. These are the ones Zildjian collaborated with Gadd on. They're beautiful in the studio. They don't speak well on stage though. They don't project. Feels like there is a layer of "plastic" or something around them. Hard to describe. A bit muted.

These Fat Hats are everything I've been looking for. They cut. They're dark and bright at the same time. They feel amazing in the hand. And they sound and feel so good when riding them open. I played a 3 hour rehearsal with them last week and drove home with a big stupid smile on my face. It has been a long time since an instrument has made me so happy to own and play.

I love all of my cymbals! I understand that they are each individual musical instruments and give me something unique, not to mention the memories, gigs, recordings and good times I associate with each of them. I'm just loving these new hats right now and they're giving me exactly what I wanted.
Well, I know very well the big stupid smile, the keys player I am has been showing this stupid one a lot since I started to "play" drums for the past two years!!!!

Now this is extremely helpful info @someguy01, I use whatever washers come with said drum but will now consider using better (different) lug screws or most likely washers. This is great info.
The plastic washers work well, and I would imagine and as @Justinhub2003 has attested, leather washers would work well as the leather would absorb a nice amount of vibration in addition to making a nice locking fastener from the surface friction.

Those are slick !! I can't top those but here's a couple pics of my new Tama PAL146 Starphonic aluminum 14x6 snare that the nice FedEx man just dropped off for me. Clik to enlarge.

View attachment 117939View attachment 117940View attachment 117941View attachment 117942
Great, this one is in my list for an aluminium snare, competing with the Dunnet 2N aluminum, I think I will get both in fact, maybe the Tama in 6" (only in 6" by the way) and the Dunnet in 5.5"? Or in 6.5", I will ask your opinion here when I will be there!!!

I picked up the 22” Sabian HHX Anthology hi Bell and 14” HHX Anthology hi Bell hats today to go with the 18” HHX anthology Hi Bell I picked up a couple weeks ago to complete the set . I have not been this excited about a Sabian cymbal series since the Sabian Artisan was introduced .
These Anthology cymbals are beautiful versatile cymbals that feel great to play and they work well with the Artisan cymbals and HHX Complex cymbals I already owned .View attachment 118102View attachment 118103View attachment 118104View attachment 118105View attachment 118106View attachment 118107
How would you characterize them compare to the Complex and Artisan? Is it really a new sound or are they just to make an old series like new?

This is a great one, it's the Mike Johnson's signature cowbell, I have this one for more Latin and a bit of everything while I'm using the LP Chad Smith's red rider cow bell for rock, this is a great cowbell, you will love it...and with the little magnets it comes as the, you could really Taylor the sound of it to the music you play.

8 and 10 Paiste dark energy splashes
8/10, 10/12 Paiste PSTX stacks
I have an 19" and 15" from this serie, Dark Energy and was wondering about the splashes, how do they sound, could you described them? Etc..

Not exactly drum gear, but I just ordered a full PA system for my home practice space: a processor/mixer with four preamps and twelve channels, two 15" mains with stands, and two mics with stands.

Why have I done this? I have musicians in and out for various reasons. Having a permanent PA onsite is easier than requiring players to haul one in as needed. This is a wise investment that will pay for itself quite quickly.
You're right, it always pay, you can have easily people coming and playing with you, I did this in buying mics for a drums kit way before I had the kit but the idea was the same, proposing product to people who may not have them so, they could play with you even without having what they might need...Like the Mike's for my singers belong to me, etc...bass and guitar. The same...

This is a great one, it's the Mike Johnson's signature cowbell, I have this one for more Latin and a bit of everything while I'm using the LP Chad Smith's red rider cow bell for rock, this is a great cowbell, you will love it...and with the little magnets it comes as the, you could really Taylor the sound of it to the music you play.

I did a lot of research and ended up with his signature snare too... not for him, but because they were both what I was after

20220318_205543_HDR_2.jpg20220315_161319_HDR.jpg

The plastic washers work well, and I would imagine and as @Justinhub2003 has attested, leather washers would work well as the leather would absorb a nice amount of vibration in addition to making a nice locking fastener from the surface friction.
Yea the Canopus leather bolt tight washers are great. Every drum I buy gets them. I do use them in conjunction with whatever came though, I just add 2 to Each tension rods with the plastic washer sandwiched between the leather

Tama DC hoop and Remo Ambassador heads for my BNOB WorldMax…:)(y)View attachment 118861
Is it a 14 x 6,5? If I'm not mistaking the Worldmax shell is the same as my Ludwig Black Magic(?)
I had the original version with all black hardware and later replaced the rods with chrome ones and put s-hoops on it to give it a more 'fake' BB look.

I really like the snare, works great for classic rock.

Remarkable: after the 7 year break I pulled the BM out of its case last weekend to check the tuning and it was still perfectly in tune, even each rod!

Attachments

• 20110125-20110125-IMG_4614.jpg
    20110125-20110125-IMG_4614.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20140330-IMG_7697.jpg
    20140330-IMG_7697.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Went ahead and ordered the 6x21" Pearl Rocket Tom to finish of that collection. Also got a 6" clear Pinstripe for it and a PC-8 to mount it on my rack. Have all the hardware i need to mount it Simon Phillips wise, so will post some pics after i have everything set up :)

Is it a 14 x 6,5? If I'm not mistaking the Worldmax shell is the same as my Ludwig Black Magic(?)
I had the original version with all black hardware and later replaced the rods with chrome ones and put s-hoops on it to give it a more 'fake' BB look.

I really like the snare, works great for classic rock.

Remarkable: after the 7 year break I pulled the BM out of its case last weekend to check the tuning and it was still perfectly in tune, even each rod!
Yeah 14x6.5. I’ve got a 14x8 BM. Lovely drum mate!:)(y)

Back