What's your latest purchase?

Made the mistake of stopping by the local shop, and ended up rescuing this little guy for 39$. It had some bad heads, rust and obvious neglect.

This is after a strip search and subsequent scrubb8ng. it was filthy but now shows some signs of life.

Pearl makes a fine drum.

That's a nice looking little snare. I see a greenish color to the snare? How does it sound? I bet better than $39.

That's a nice looking little snare. I see a greenish color to the snare? How does it sound? I bet better than $39.
Thanks! Man, after a thorough cleaning I put on a new remo fiberskyn batter head, tuned it up and this thing sounds great!

Excellent side snare with some cool vibe and projection. Bearing edges are perfect, looks like it rested in someone's closet for 10 years. The wrap is a cool dark green in very good condition for its age. It's nowhere nearly as heavy as the more expensive 10 lug versions which is actually kinda nice for moving around. And despite the price it sounds exactly like a snare drum.

Back in May, I'd bought a Yamaha Stage Custom all birch, in Raven Black. The silver/grey badge. The Raven Black has a greenish hue to it, I just love. Sizes were a standard 22, 10, 12, 16 w/14 snare. Finally, I found a matching 14 floor tom (I do love me some double floors) .... as part of a kit GC had in their used section. Also, the 18x15 that was part of that kit came on a riser. Got me a nice shell bank going, now.

8.jpg

You could cheat a little and stick it on your finger and check it out 🙄
Oh yeah, i already done that hehe. That was the first thing i did. Sound amazing that way, can't wait to play it in full!

Just ordered a 14" coated CS and Ambassador snare side for my 14x5" Osan Maple snare. Been listening to some old recordings and Dream Theater's album Train of Thought; love that snare sound and the 14x5 cranked up has that sound. Also ordered a DrumDail tuner to speed up tuning everything.

Also made in inquiry if there are still 13x10" (or 14x10) toms and 18x16" floor toms available somewhere for my BCX kit. That line has been discontinued for few years now, so fingers crossed. If not, i probably will try to get a Masterworks order for at least a 13x10" tom (think Pearl would be able to do that, right? Just make me a BCX 13x10" tom in Lava Bubinga with all the hardware of the BCX line etc).

Back in May, I'd bought a Yamaha Stage Custom all birch, in Raven Black. The silver/grey badge. The Raven Black has a greenish hue to it, I just love. Sizes were a standard 22, 10, 12, 16 w/14 snare. Finally, I found a matching 14 floor tom (I do love me some double floors) .... as part of a kit GC had in their used section. Also, the 18x15 that was part of that kit came on a riser. Got me a nice shell bank going, now.

View attachment 111156
That is a great looking kit, I agree about that green hue it’s very striking. I’m with you on the two floor toms and also have 14/16’s. Nothing like that 16” FT to boom away with the bass drum. Awesome kit

EDIT: I just realized you have an 18x15 floor tom, which by comparison makes my 16x16 floor tom not as much of a boom as a bam.

Last edited:
Here some pics of my newly-arrived Gretsch USA Custom 12, 16, 22 which I'm using with my USA Bronze snare. The sizes, the finish, basically my dream setup. These are the last drums I will ever buy, I could not be happier.

Attachments

• IMG-4510.jpg
    IMG-4510.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-4511.jpg
    IMG-4511.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-4512.jpg
    IMG-4512.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-4513.jpg
    IMG-4513.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 14
That is a great looking kit, I agree about that green hue it’s very striking. I’m with you on the two floor toms and also have 14/16’s. Nothing like that 16” FT to boom away with the bass drum. Awesome kit
1 up, 2 down, is kind of my default kit. My Luddie 3 ply's and my Slingerland Magnums both have 16/18's. With these Yamaha's, I've got 18x15 and 22x17 bass drum options right now, so a 14/16 fits well. Now, if I can find a matching 8x7 ..... or a 24x14;) or an 18 floor:ROFLMAO:
But certainly, either the 18, 12, 14, 16 or the 22, 12, 14, 16 combo's gets me to my happy place.

I found an old Drummerworld thread about it (the green hue). https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-stage-custom-raven-finish.105121/ Some like it, some don't. By far, it's the best Stage Custom finish I've seen ..... so I'm gonna stick with it. Found a few pictures of this kit/color on the interweb.

I've got 3 kits I've had now, for years ..... waiting to "add on" matching pieces. Now that the Yamaha's have landed, I think it's time I sell off a few (maybe 3) drum kits.

Attachments

• 1 f.jpg
    1 f.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2 a.jpg
    2 a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 14
I tried those on one snare, but the string only pulled basically in the middle and left the outside wired a little loose and buzzy. Glad they work for you.
I know what you are saying. My snare beds are kind of narrow too. I keep my snares rather loose. So fortunately, either work for me but the Vintage give me a little more room to tighten up.

I tried those on one snare, but the string only pulled basically in the middle and left the outside wired a little loose and buzzy. Glad they work for you.
I've never used Canopus wires, but it looks like there's at least 1/4-1/2" on either side of the factory holes to carefully drill new holes, expand the gap, and still fit the strings through the beds. Which would create more tension across with width I think, possibly reducing some of the buzz.

canopus.JPG

Back