What's your latest purchase?

Now this is the kind of thing that makes me stop into thrift stores from time to time. I would love a marimba and own a small xylophone instead. Used to play the marimba in HS jazz ensemble, such a cool percussive instrument. I remember playing a marimba solo to Greensleeves at the Christmas concert circa 1983. Seems like it was electric with pedals and dampeners that would open or close a spinning doohickey...but that could just be a dream..
This could be you in a couple of months :) :

Those are vibes, not a marimba. I'm not an expert, but every set of vibes I've ever seen in person (5 or 6) have the electric, mechanized... um, valves (?) that give notes the vibrato when engaged, and none of the marimbas I've seen (about a dozen) had them. Let me guess, the keys were silver-colored metal, not wood?

Those are vibes, not a marimba. I'm not an expert, but every set of vibes I've ever seen in person (5 or 6) have the electric, mechanized... um, valves (?) that give notes the vibrato when engaged, and none of the marimbas I've seen (about a dozen) had them. Let me guess, the keys were silver-colored metal, not wood?
@timmdrum you are absolutely correct ! and jostled my memory, that’s a vibraphone to be technical. (y):sneaky: And yes it had silver metallic keys and required power and I had the Vibe. Awesome thanks

Last edited:
This is true.

Every bar has a little spinning wheel under it with fins on it to disturb the air.

My son has a set of vibes from the 50's. Andy played them. His have aluminum bars.

Pro tip: Dont use the butt end of the mallet to do a series of quick glissandos across the bars.

I scratched his vibe bars noticeably doing that. About 50 glissando's. It was a plastic stick the size of a lollipop stick FCOL! It flexed even! I didn't think it would scratch aluminum. But it did lol. I tried to buff it out and even looked at it with a magnifier. I displaced metal. He JUST had gotten them, hadn't even played them yet. I was the first. He was SO HAPPY I did that!

Anytime a cheesy TV show goes into a dream sequence, you hear vibes

Last edited:
This is true.

Every bar has a little spinning wheel under it with fins on it to disturb the air.

My son has a set of vibes from the 50's. Andy played them. His have aluminum bars.

Pro tip: Dont use the butt end of the mallet to do a series of quick glissandos across the bars.

I scratched his vibe bars noticeably doing that. About 50 glissando's. It was a plastic stick the size of a lollipop stick FCOL! It flexed even! I didn't think it would scratch aluminum. But it did lol. I tried to buff it out and even looked at it with a magnifier. I displaced metal. He JUST had gotten them, hadn't even played them yet. I was the first. He was SO HAPPY I did that!

Anytime a cheesy TV show goes into a dream sequence, you hear vibes
NBC

:)

Last edited:
Picked up a Drumcraft bell bronze. 6.5 X 14. 6mm thick. Friggin heavy!! It came with die cast hoops and a Pinstrip batter. Those were the first things to go. Wires were done as well. It has a Nickle works throw off. Next thing to go. Replacing that with a three step Trick. Same hole spacing. I'm starting with a Remo Ambassador 14. Single ply 14 mil. Will adjust from there.

Attachments

• DRUMCRAFT.jpg
    DRUMCRAFT.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SATIN HOOPS.jpg
    SATIN HOOPS.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 10
  • BAD WIRES.jpg
    BAD WIRES.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 10
It came with die cast hoops and a Pinstrip batter. Those were the first things to go. Wires were done as well.
I love Coated Pins as bass and tom heads, but I tried one on a snare once, and it rang like hell. No matter what I did, I couldn't dial the sound in. Never again.

Nice shell, by the way. I'll bet that baby has some serious volume.

Speaking of drumsticks, a second order of 5A'S recently from Frank at La Backbeat...nice quality and service!

Made the mistake of stopping by the local shop, and ended up rescuing this little guy for 39$. It had some bad heads, rust and obvious neglect.

This is after a strip search and subsequent scrubb8ng. it was filthy but now shows some signs of life.

Pearl makes a fine drum.

Attachments

• IMG_8002.jpg
    IMG_8002.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8001.jpg
    IMG_8001.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7998.jpg
    IMG_7998.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7997.jpg
    IMG_7997.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8009.jpg
    IMG_8009.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8010.jpg
    IMG_8010.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8003.jpg
    IMG_8003.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 20
Ordered some more Weckl sticks.... kind of out of things to order for drumming.. although i am staring hard at a brass Greb snare.. just don't need it :(
I really like them the weckl sticks....And I do don't really need the Benny Greg brass snare besides the fact that I didn't have any brass snare and was never found of the so called Black Beauty sound...So, someone here proposed it as an option and I got a correct price on it and really the ping and the are beautiful, the two railing dampening systems are awesome to adjust it very easily, no need to put any gel on it.... I might buy in the future the beech one as a 3rd wood snare, after the summit Walnut.

Last edited:
My latest purchase is a Paul Reed Smith SE singlecut from 2010! Getting back into guitar after selling nearly all of my gear when I got back into drumming. I did SO MUCH refurb work on drums in the last 3 years. I burnt myself out. I will finish my rat rod hopefully this winter though.

This 1991 14x4 Jarrah Stave snare from Perth.

View attachment 102279
View attachment 102285
View attachment 102288

Very cool that they used a piece of Jarrah to fit the strainer and butt end.
View attachment 102287

He sends the original strainer one too. It needs a renewed locking pin.
View attachment 102286

These snares kick ass and the atrainer and butt can be reversed for us lefties.

Also I placed an order for the last ever made DW Drums Maple Mahogany shell (8x7) with Feathered Mahogany they could make, as mr. Good ran out of suppliers that together with some additional hardware.

Let the 6 month waiting game begin. Again ?
Did you get it?

Back