What's your latest purchase?

The two on the right. :)

IMG-0071.jpg

Picked up some old Sabian hi hats. The ink markings are 99% gone so I'm not sure of the model or whether they're AA or pre-AA. In any case they sound nice and are an upgrade from the Pro series hats that came with this kit.
You wanna hear crazy?...i literally traded a set of 15"2002 sound edge hats in good condition for a pair of 14"Sabian Pro hats. There was something about them.

I’ll take the middle one.

And what kind of pickup is in the left one?
The middle one is my favorite, too. :)

The pickup is a GFS Vintage Split. It's sort of like a Fender Wide Range but without the same magnets that give that pickup it's distinctive sound. This GFS one was acquired cheaply, and I installed it because I was bored with the stock pickup and it's one dimensionality. This pickup is everything I wanted on that guitar, it's a different animal now.

Last edited:
I've had experience with 3 volkswagons in my life:

1. My maternal grandfather owned and loved an early 60's bright red VW beetle. He bought it new, it was one of his prized possessions. I never got to drive it.

2. My sister's powder blue 69 VW beetle with a four banger air-cooled rear mounted motor. When I turned 16 in the early 80's I 'inherited' my sister's V8 69 Mustang fastback (looking back, what a spoiled brat I was), and out of the kindess of my heart, I occassionally traded back with her and drove her VW. The VW had about 90 HP I think, but with three on the floor it was kind of fun to drive for a day or two. No AC, no power brakes/locks/windows etc. - all manual, I think it maxed out at about 88 MPH obviously without the flux capacitor. I remember a couple of drum line buddies and I once using the Bug to drive across town to a percussion/drum shop and getting stranded for an extra hour or so waiting for it to cool off due to 'vapor lock'. No radiator meant if you turned off the engine while hot it wouldn't restart until it felt like it.

3. Before getting married and after selling the 69 Mustang :)cry:), I bought a cool little black 1990 VW Golf GTI. That little sucker had a 16 valve DOH cam engine and 5 speed manual transmission that would get up and go. Not muscle car/V8 fast but it was light, quick and nimble. Once blew up the engine and had to replace all 16 valves :cry:😩, but that was due to driver overexhuberance for maxing out the RPM's before switching gears. But overall a fun, fast reliable car. Here's one exactly like the one I had:
Great stroll down memory lane. I had a 70 Mach 1 that I pushed more than drove, but boy I miss that car. Couldn't fit much in the way of drums in it... Then my next scooter was a tricked out 87 CRX si. Like you said, no muscle car, but oodles of fun. Good Times.

Great stroll down memory lane. I had a 70 Mach 1 that I pushed more than drove, but boy I miss that car. Couldn't fit much in the way of drums in it... Then my next scooter was a tricked out 87 CRX si. Like you said, no muscle car, but oodles of fun. Good Times.
Thanks! Mach 1's were awesome, did yours have the 350 or 351 Windsor?

As long as we're strolling, here's a dumb kid in 1983 who thought he had the world by the ball(ast)s. He later found out that a fast red car and big chops don't amount to much more than a cool dude with no money, so after college he ended up working in construction management, owned his own construction/remodeling company for 15 years, and when it became obvious that arthritis and stamina would eventually come into play, he discovered another career and has been in commercial real estate for the last 20 years leasing, managing and selling around the southeast. Rock on.

Attachments

• Sticky mustang.jpg
    Sticky mustang.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 9
You wanna hear crazy?...i literally traded a set of 15"2002 sound edge hats in good condition for a pair of 14"Sabian Pro hats. There was something about them.
Not crazy in the least. You like what you like, just like music. I traded Zildjian 14" hats about 25 yrs ago for a set of Sabian 10" Mini Hats, and they've been my one and only ever since. Used to get crazy looks in bars lol.

Attachments

• IMAG1084.jpg
    IMAG1084.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1085.jpg
    IMAG1085.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 2
Not crazy in the least. You like what you like, just like music. I traded Zildjian 14" hats about 25 yrs ago for a set of Sabian 10" Mini Hats, and they've been my one and only ever since. Used to get crazy looks in bars lol.
The person I first heard play 10" Zildjian hats was Billy Ward on his Big Time DVD...he made a believer out of me.

You know what I just learned? That there are two different sizes for cymbal stand threads. 6 and 8mm. So when I happily / blindly ordered a 10-pack of nylon Gibraltar Tama Style wingnuts, guess which one I ordered. Correct, the wrong one. Anyone need a pack of 8mm wingnuts?!

I've had experience with 3 volkswagons in my life:

1. My maternal grandfather owned and loved an early 60's bright red VW beetle. He bought it new, it was one of his prized possessions. I never got to drive it.

2. My sister's powder blue 69 VW beetle with a four banger air-cooled rear mounted motor. When I turned 16 in the early 80's I 'inherited' my sister's V8 69 Mustang fastback (looking back, what a spoiled brat I was), and out of the kindess of my heart, I occassionally traded back with her and drove her VW. The VW had about 90 HP I think, but with three on the floor it was kind of fun to drive for a day or two. No AC, no power brakes/locks/windows etc. - all manual, I think it maxed out at about 88 MPH obviously without the flux capacitor. I remember a couple of drum line buddies and I once using the Bug to drive across town to a percussion/drum shop and getting stranded for an extra hour or so waiting for it to cool off due to 'vapor lock'. No radiator meant if you turned off the engine while hot it wouldn't restart until it felt like it.

3. Before getting married and after selling the 69 Mustang :)cry:), I bought a cool little black 1990 VW Golf GTI. That little sucker had a 16 valve DOH cam engine and 5 speed manual transmission that would get up and go. Not muscle car/V8 fast but it was light, quick and nimble. Once blew up the engine and had to replace all 16 valves :cry:😩, but that was due to driver overexhuberance for maxing out the RPM's before switching gears. But overall a fun, fast reliable car. Here's one exactly like the one I had:
I'm 1-for-4 on VWs.

My father had a ~1970 VW bug. Red. Every other week he had me wash and wax the thing. I learned to hate Turtle Wax. He sold it for an Audi 100LS (huge mistake).
A college girlfriend had a 1968 bug. White. I had to push the thing for her to start it and get to work. 😓
During my car-painting years, a beautiful woman brought a ~1967 VW van for a 2-tone paint job, royal blue on the bottom, white on top, inside and out (every piece of hardware was removed). During the application of the white URETHANE, me, the resident genius, decided to thin the paint 'cuz the hot afternoon sun was making the paint thick. Within an hour after my application, the temp dropped and the white just ran curtains all over. It was hideous. I didn't get a date.
c.1983 my father gives me his 1980 VW Rabbit. Beige. Stick shift. Sun roof. It ran like a clock. I probably could've gotten 250,000 miles out of it.

Thanks! Mach 1's were awesome, did yours have the 350 or 351 Windsor?

As long as we're strolling, here's a dumb kid in 1983 who thought he had the world by the ball(ast)s. He later found out that a fast red car and big chops don't amount to much more than a cool dude with no money, so after college he ended up working in construction management, owned his own construction/remodeling company for 15 years, and when it became obvious that arthritis and stamina would eventually come into play, he discovered another career and has been in commercial real estate for the last 20 years leasing, managing and selling around the southeast. Rock on.
'Twas a 351 Cleveland. It was crazy fast, but at 17 I had neither the knowledge nor the money to keep it alive. One if my favourite quotes by anyone was by a kid in the parking lot of the CVS I worked at in high school, when I convinced him and his buddies to give me a hand when it wouldn't start, again. "See, we get stoned and we wind up pushing this guy's car. " 🤔

'Twas a 351 Cleveland. It was crazy fast, but at 17 I had neither the knowledge nor the money to keep it alive. One if my favourite quotes by anyone was by a kid in the parking lot of the CVS I worked at in high school, when I convinced him and his buddies to give me a hand when it wouldn't start, again. "See, we get stoned and we wind up pushing this guy's car. " 🤔
351 Cleveland was the strongest in the Ford small block line! I spent much of my free time and all of my spare money keeping my 69 running strong. My friends used to joke that I missed school on Mondays and Fridays to work on the mustang. I remember one time in HS a couple of friends and I were baking broccoli in front of another friend's house waiting for him to arrive, standing outside the mustang in a cul de sac, when Blue x 2 shows up. Just before they arrived, some dumbass (me) had poured some backwash beer on the street, and we all smelled like weed. My hair was down to my shoulders, and I was wearing an Ozzy Diary of a Madman concert jersey and basically looked like a hood :). There was small bag of broccoli sitting in plain view on the rear console....guess what happened?!

Back