What's your latest purchase?

So a few weeks ago I went on and on about this nasty flea market find Ludwig snare. A 1940 Standard 7x14 mahagony shell. Put Evans G1 coated in top. Has an effortlessly loud crack with a killer rimshot. Three applications of Tung Oil. Here it is all put back to its Birthday Suit...
That is a fabulous find and restore. I guess I’ll have to start looking at flea markets because I have never found anything close to a ‘find’ like your Ludwig. Vintage stuff is so cool, glad you rescued it for a second life.

Yesterday I picked up a new Gretsch USA Custom 3 piece. 13, 16, 22x14 in black nitron. I got a phenomenal deal at my local store. I've been thinking about a Gretsch (among many others...) for quite a while. I've never actually owned Gretsch before. At any rate, the deal was so good that I knew if I did decide on a Gretsch at some point down the line I'd kick myself for not picking it up.

Still setting up/tuning/etc., but so far I'm really liking them!

Here's a quick phone pic:
IMG_1374.jpg

It also shows my new from a few weeks ago Gibralter Stealth rack.

Yesterday I picked up a new Gretsch USA Custom 3 piece. 13, 16, 22x14 in black nitron. I got a phenomenal deal at my local store. I've been thinking about a Gretsch (among many others...) for quite a while. I've never actually owned Gretsch before. At any rate, the deal was so good that I knew if I did decide on a Gretsch at some point down the line I'd kick myself for not picking it up.

View attachment 109644

I'm in the market for a drum rack. I really like those stealth racks. Unfortunately, I have 4 toms, so, I don't think it would be very useful for me. Probably gonna have to go with a 3 sided rack.

I'm in the market for a drum rack. I really like those stealth racks. Unfortunately, I have 4 toms, so, I don't think it would be very useful for me. Probably gonna have to go with a 3 sided rack.
The rack is pretty neat, but you're right - not sure about using 4 toms. I mean, it could probably work with a couple of double tom holders, but you might not be able/or want to attach anything else to it.

There is a video from Gibralter on the rack and many ways it can be customized:

They make it seem pretty limitless...

View attachment 109644

Sweet find! This is the kind of stuff that really gets me excited, post after photos please!

The rack is pretty neat, but you're right - not sure about using 4 toms. I mean, it could probably work with a couple of double tom holders, but you might not be able/or want to attach anything else to it.

There is a video from Gibralter on the rack and many ways it can be customized:

They make it seem pretty limitless...
Why is he wearing a mask? Was there a studio audience? 🤔

How do you like the Trick beater? I usually play the standard Danmar felt and red wood beaters, heavier than wood?
I've been wondering about the trick beaters also and I'm use Danmar reds.

Looks pretty clean to me! Maybe bust out the chrome polish?! Beautiful Kit.
Has been stood for many years. All the paint has faded & the chrome has tarnished. I am off paint matching today :)

Finally got around to ordering legs and brackets to convert a 12x14 mounted tom to a floor tom. And therein lies a story:

A lot of the cost in converting a mounted tom to a floor tom is in shipping. Somehow three small brackets the size of a pack of gum, plus three legs, requires $25 total shipping costs from many online places. So when Musician's Friend listed the legs and brackets for free shipping, saving me $25, I went for it. But this is Musician's Friend, the same people who strung me along for over a month of missed shipping and delivery dates on my Ludwig Atlas boom stands earlier this year, and who also don't show how many of an item they have in stock on their website. What could possibly go wrong?

I ordered three brackets; they shipped two. Instead of backordering the third and contacting me, they outright cancelled it. (Because when someone orders three floor tom legs and three brackets, obviously they don't need that third bracket for anything, right?) When I contacted them to complain they wanted me to resubmit an order to put one on backorder. I declined.

The two brackets were shipped separately, arrived on different days, and were way overpackaged in huge boxes with tons of packing material. These are tiny, durable metal brackets, not stacks of fine china.

I ordered the third from a smaller retailer for a few dollars more that MF and it arrived today at the same time as the second bracket from MF. It was wrapped in one thin layer of bubble wrap in a size-appropriate envelope, and the bracket was of course not damaged.

TL;DR: I ordered parts from Musician's Friend, they did silly things to the order; this isn't the first time but will be the last.

Last edited:
Finally got around to ordering legs and brackets to convert a 12x14 mounted tom to a floor tom. And therein lies a story:

A lot of the cost in converting a mounted tom to a floor tom is in shipping. Somehow three small brackets the size of a pack of gum, plus three legs, requires $25 total shipping costs from many online places. So when Musician's Friend listed the legs and brackets for free shipping, saving me $25, I went for it. But this is Musician's Friend, the same people who strung me along for over a month of missed shipping and delivery dates on my Ludwig Atlas boom stands earlier this year, and who also don't show how many of an item they have in stock on their website. What could possibly go wrong?

I ordered three brackets; they shipped two. Instead of backordering the third and contacting me, they outright cancelled it. (Because when someone orders three floor tom legs and three brackets, obviously they don't need that third bracket for anything, right?) When I contacted them to complain they wanted me to resubmit an order to put one on backorder. I declined.

The two brackets were shipped separately, arrived on different days, and were way overpackaged in huge boxes with tons of packing material. These are tiny, durable metal brackets, not stacks of fine china.

I ordered the third from a smaller retailer for a few dollars more that MF and it arrived today at the same time as the second bracket from MF.

TL;DR: I ordered parts from Musician's Friend, they did silly things to the order; this isn't the first time but will be the last.

There’s a lot to learn in that story

Back