What's your latest purchase?

A few months ago I tried to pick up some Ludwig Atlas Standard boom stands on sale, but they were on backorder and the order just never seemed to fill. I just picked up two for $18 off apiece.

I think my next purchase is going to be a Ludwig standard hardware pack.
I've got plenty of hardware, mostly Yamaha, and I'm satisfied with it.
But I've got a couple Ludwig sets now, and I'd like to have the hardware just for consistency.
I've owned Yamaha 700 stands for over 25 years, but when it came time to finally replace them, I saw some things I wished they had that the Standard stands did, such as a gearless tilter and pinch-style height adjustment rather than screw-in style, which I feel is more prone to damage the stand or wear out. I held a Ludwig Atlas Standard in my hands at Rudy's a few years back and it seems as solid as the Yamahas for about the same money.

Alright, one more. Before my Focusrite died, I was in the middle of having to juggle my dad's business closure and several short deadline recording projects amidst travel gigs and having other people pull me in various directions, so when I was offered a great deal on this thing, I decided to justify it as a stress purchase:

View attachment 108472View attachment 108473View attachment 108474View attachment 108475

Titanium number Two-Tanium: a 2007 5x14. This thing sounds absolutely righteous. It has more of a handmade feel than my 2020 titanium, and it's a good bit heavier due to its having a thicker shell. Powerful, and open in just the right way. Might end up replacing a couple snares of similar size...

What’s the difference between titanium and aluminum, do you think?

What’s the difference between titanium and aluminum, do you think?

Titanium is a much bolder, livelier, and more harmonically rich sound than aluminum, which is much dryer and more focused. But to be fair I'm not sure I've seen an aluminum shell made like a Dunnett, and I definitely have never played one of the Ludwig titanium snares.

The Dunnett construction also just really makes the sound explode out of the drum whereas most Acrolite-type beaded aluminum snares are fairly well contained within the drum, if that makes any sense. Many moons ago I was able to compare a Ti to a stainless steel at my local Sam Ash, and the Titanium was a bit dryer and warmer than the SS, but no less powerful.

Last edited:
I've been needing a new hi-hat stand for a while. I've got a couple of cheapies I picked up here and there but my main stand is a Ludwig that I'm pretty sure was professional quality when I bought it new...back around 1985.

So when I saw a listing for a used Pearl 930 in what appeared to be mint condition, for a very reasonable price...I waited. Not to play games but just because it's how I'm usually wired--I'm very much a look before you leap kinda guy. Also for sale was a bass drum pedal, also in excellent (if not quite as pristine) condition, but I had recently acquired a new Yamaha FP7210 with which I was quite pleased, so that wasn't as big a draw.

But after the ad being live for a few weeks, I finally wrote the gentleman. I acknowledged that the ad said the price for each piece was firm, but wondered if he'd give a bulk discount. And despite it being 2am, he wrote back promptly and said he'd give 10% off if I bought both.

So these are now mine. And I'm very pleased.

View attachment 108460 View attachment 108461

(Honestly, I mainly picked these up in a quest to make @C.M. Jones proud.)

((And I remain the world's worst photographer.))
Excellent acquisition. I use the exact combo. Both yield first-rate performance.

I know you were considering the H830 hi-hat stand, but snagging an H930 was the better decision. The H830 is a good product but doesn't feature a spring-tension adjustment. The H930 is more adaptable to individual taste.

Enjoy!

Excellent acquisition. I use the exact combo. Both yield first-rate performance.

I know you were considering the H830 hi-hat stand, but snagging an H930 was the better decision. The H830 is a good product but doesn't feature a spring-tension adjustment. The H930 is more adaptable to individual taste.

Enjoy!

I have the same kick and hi-hat stand and have been very happy. (I upgraded from the crappy Roadshow pedals---what a difference!)

I've been thinking about getting a new throne for a while. I bought a really sturdy Yahama throne around 1990 or so, from Creative Music in Wethersfield, Connecticut, and it's served me well all these years. It's still sturdy and still comfy, although there seems to be a tiny bit of a wobble developing. And unfortunately, during its decade in storage, it was stored in such a way that the rubber foot of the base was pressed up against the seat and left a dent. I'd hoped against hope it would pop back out but, alas, after three years I'm starting to accept that maybe, just maybe, it's permanent. It's not uncomfortable--I'm not sure I've ever actually noticed it while playing--but, you know.

OldYamahaThroneDivot1.jpg OldYamahaThroneDivot2.jpg

Also, I have a practice pad setup which includes a Gibraltar bass drum practice pad, and the cheapie throne I've got there is really just terrible. So I've been thinking for some time of buying a throne...but much as I know I could use a new one, I just don't play often enough to really justify an expensive one and a cheap one won't be an upgrade...and dammit...a throne just isn't as fetching as a new cymbal or snare. I know the importance of a good throne, but I've got a good--or at least still decent--throne, so...

And then I saw an ad for someone nearby who was moving and getting rid of a bunch of stuff, including his old barely used throne. $30 bucks and it could be mine. So I drive over and I take a look...and sure enough it's the exact same model as mine.

Meet the new throne. Same as the old throne.

NewYamahaDrumThrone.jpeg

:ROFLMAO:

The 'Last Kit' idea didn't last too long. For me either. I don't think I'll say I've gotten my last kit again. :unsure:
You have a point there Mr Bill.
So give us some details or is this just baiting us for the big show and tell later-I hope?
4 pc, heavy beech shells, not a color I'd order but acceptable considering the ridiculously low price. I'd post pics but don't want to be snooty although it may be too late for that. D-World is kind of the anti-gear forum.

Back