What's your latest purchase?

I kind of thought you meant the Stage Customs, but wasn't sure.
The Stage Customs aren't that expensive, but didn't you recently post about getting some pricey Mapex stuff?
That should help take your mind off of it. ;)
Yeah the Stage Customs were in the running when I bought a cheaper Mapex Mars kit. I got a deal on the Cherry Bomb kit ($1000 off) plus a free Equinox snare that I added to and got the Maximus.

Got two Sabian cymbals today:

- 18” SR2 Medium. Definitely was an HH Medium crash in its previous life. Has a pleasant dark/throaty/balanced tonal response. Opens up surprisingly easily given its characteristics. Tried it out as a secondary ride but it didn’t work out too well in that area. So this will make nice primary crash in lower volume settings.

-21” HH Raw Bell Ride - Phil Collins edition. This is a bit of a unicorn for me as I’m such a PC fanboy and this specific ride in this condition doesn’t come up for sale that readily in my area. Tried it for the first time today and I was struck by the pronounced ping and overall stiffness of the cymbal. The bell sounds great. Will definitely take some getting used to but I see its application when cleaner definition and more attack would prove of use. The crash is way too gongy so this is a ride only, and an especially hefty one.

I’m really looking forward to add these cymbals to my palate of sounds but it is bittersweet as I had to put down my beloved 8-year old English Bulldog Lord Wellington just one day earlier (he’s the one on the right!). He was a champ and loyal to the end and I will miss him greatly. Dogs - we don’t deserve them! ❤️😢

Attachments

• 734588C3-C043-49FB-B53C-CE15AB7B5070.jpeg
    734588C3-C043-49FB-B53C-CE15AB7B5070.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 173921F8-0B62-40BF-9E98-C86439AA9978.jpeg
    173921F8-0B62-40BF-9E98-C86439AA9978.jpeg
    759.1 KB · Views: 19

- 18” SR2 Medium. Definitely was an HH Medium crash in its previous life. Has a pleasant dark/throaty/balanced tonal response. Opens up surprisingly easily given its characteristics. Tried it out as a secondary ride but it didn’t work out too well in that area. So this will make nice primary crash in lower volume settings.

-21” HH Raw Bell Ride - Phil Collins edition. This is a bit of a unicorn for me as I’m such a PC fanboy and this specific ride in this condition doesn’t come up for sale that readily in my area. Tried it for the first time today and I was struck by the pronounced ping and overall stiffness of the cymbal. The bell sounds great. Will definitely take some getting used to but I see its application when cleaner definition and more attack would prove of use. The crash is way too gongy so this is a ride only, and an especially hefty one.

I’m really looking forward to add these cymbals to my palate of sounds but it is bittersweet as I had to put down my beloved 8-year old English Bulldog Lord Wellington just one day earlier (he’s the one on the right!). He was a champ and loyal to the end and I will miss him greatly. Dogs - we don’t deserve them! ❤️😢
wow, very good looking. Congrats mate!

Nice purchases but really sorry to hear of your loss.

Hope you are ok.

Awww man, sorry for your loss. The pain we feel when they're gone is often commensurate to the joy they bring to our lives when they're here.

Nice cymbals! What makes the Phil Collins edition different from the usual Raw Bell Ride?

Awww man, sorry for your loss. The pain we feel when they're gone is often commensurate to the joy they bring to our lives when they're here.

Nice cymbals! What makes the Phil Collins edition different from the usual Raw Bell Ride?

Thanks for the kind words. While some assert there are some ever so slight sonic differences that differentiate the Phil Collins version (glassier tone, more cutting bell), to my ear they are one and the same. I’m just paying more for the signature and serial number! 👍

Sorry for your loss man 🙏🏻. You’re right ….. we don’t deserve them . Already had my blood pressure down to 120 -124over
70 -78 and off meds with diet and exercise 6 years ago , but since we got our pup in January the BP is even better and always 110-116 over 64-70 . It’s definitely the dog 🙌🏻. Hang in there 👍🏻

Ah HA! So you're the lucky guy who scored that. What a beauty that is. Drum #100. Absolutely gorgeous. How's it sound?
It sounds really great. It's my first mahogany snare, so I'm still getting used to it. I really love how it feels when playing it. It's warm, but it can crack. It's sensitive at any tuning. I researched mahogany snares and I was a little concerned by some of what I found - that it might sound spongy especially - but I'm happy that I got it. I guess I understand some of those descriptions now, but I'm not hearing anything I don't like.

By the way, the set is just fantastic. While I'm completely satisfied with it, I did order some more drums. I figured I should get in line because it will be a while! These Summit Drums are truly amazing!

The set sounded so great when I got it home, I was afraid to change anything! Over the last couple of weeks, I have tried some different heads and slightly different tuning. It seems to sound great no matter what I do to it.

It sounds really great. It's my first mahogany snare, so I'm still getting used to it. I really love how it feels when playing it. It's warm, but it can crack. It's sensitive at any tuning. I researched mahogany snares and I was a little concerned by some of what I found - that it might sound spongy especially - but I'm happy that I got it. I guess I understand some of those descriptions now, but I'm not hearing anything I don't like.

By the way, the set is just fantastic. While I'm completely satisfied with it, I did order some more drums. I figured I should get in line because it will be a while! These Summit Drums are truly amazing!

The set sounded so great when I got it home, I was afraid to change anything! Over the last couple of weeks, I have tried some different heads and slightly different tuning. It seems to sound great no matter what I do to it.
That’s an absolutely outstanding looking drum…but what many of us are wondering is how you rate its smell?:unsure:

* - Oh no! Smells like a 30 year old drum throne!🤢
** - Woah, pass me the nose plugs, too much glue!😩
*** - Mmmm, now that’s the sweet smell of mahogany!😌
**** - Holy sticks, my nostrils are tingling! 😝
***** - I’ve reached the @C.M. Jones “Summit” of fragrance fornication…sniiiiiffffff!!🤪

Nasal jokes aside, enjoy it mate!:D(y)

That’s an absolutely outstanding looking drum…but what many of us are wondering is how you rate its smell?:unsure:

***** - I’ve reached the @C.M. Jones “Summit” of fragrance fornication…sniiiiiffffff!!🤪

I saw the threads about drum smells just around the time this snare arrived. Funny thing is, I changed the head the second day and the drum actually DID smell great!

There's no turning back at this point. We really need to fashion an elaborate drum-scent vocabulary and codify it within a formal system of aromatic analysis. With ambitious vision, we might even be able to extrapolate our framework to a compelling brand of drum-related ice cream: Walnut Whisper, Mahogany Mountain, Maple Massacre, and Birch Bombardment, to name just a few flavors. There's money to be had, Mr. Strange. I'll start applying for trademarks and patents. In the meantime, keep sniffing!

Interesting as you mention everything that has made me cautious about mahogany as well. I wish you lived closer so I could hear it in the flesh. Maybe Gary will have a mahogany drum at his place when I pick up my walnut snare in the next week or two. What sizes did you add to the kit?

Back