What's your latest purchase?

Wanted to get back into drumming after many, many, too many, years away. Other hobbies, family, and bad tinnitus took its toll.

Oh I always had a good Remo tunable (for rebound) practice pad and an assosrtment of sticks to use, albeit used intermittantly, so I started looking around. Admittedly I was trying to identify an electronic kit just for home use - no gigs, likely no jamming with anyone, just something fun to have around - and to JUST HAVE FUN again!

Not that budget was a consideration, as it wasn't really, but I wouldn't just jump into a $2K or higher 'flagship' Roland set or such. Began looking at the various Alesis sets, but quickly moved from rubber triggers to wanting mesh heads, yet then became aware of single vs. dual or triple zone triggers and with other 'Oh that's cool' options, my search stalled for a bit ... as the street price that started @ $600 to $800 went over $1K, then higher and higher and before you know it I was looking at $2K+ Roland sets, doh!.

Then I saw the videos by 65 Drums and Hellfire Drums of the Simmons SD1200 kit and thought, "Hey, that could be fun, mesh heads with 2 and 3 zone triggers, hmmmmmm". Played one extensively at a local Guitar Center and when I saw the sale pop up for the expanded kit, no sales tax, and no delivery/shipping fees ... and for pretty cheap (less than lesser quality/option Alesis kits and only $100 more than where I started out) ... then it was a no brainer to me. Any weaknesses in the module are offset by additional options added by the IOS app for iPhones and tablets. But I haven't delved too, too much into that stuff, as I'm back concentrating on my rudiments, which I will say are coming along nicely.

I'll just add here that practicing any sticking exercise with a double stick in the phrasing, and leading the rudiment(s) with both hands is by far the fastest, most efficient way I know to rebuild or build (and improve) upon one's chops. So after fooling around with the set a bit, I went back to just the snare setup to force myself into the rudiment practice.

Luckily with good noise-canceling headphones, my tinnitus is not a factor. Anyway ... am new here, have read TONS of great posts and advice and to all those acoustic drummers that are still playing? Keep at it! But for now, I'll go back to my basement, LOL!

Attachments

• Simmons SD1200.jpg
    Simmons SD1200.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Custom order 14" hats from Bosphorus. Nice & light, approximately 850g top, 992g bottom. These have the same patina finish that they put on their Philly Rides. They've got a really nice shimmery quality to them, but give a solid, chunky clunk when you stomp them with the foot, so they instantly make me feel like Art Blakey.

Went through the folks at Drumshack here in London, UK to place the order, they've got close links with the Bosphorus folks and couldn't have been more helpful!

Haven't got a decent photo because the lighting in my practice space is awful 🤦‍♂️

20210624_192155.jpg

Luv mine - previous version. Bought from same owner of the S-Classix birch - rosewood finish kit i also purchased last week. 👌

Some 'minor' things;
Three Remo 6" clear Pinstripes for my rocket toms
14" coated CS for main snare
Pearl NP-208 Rubber Hi-hat washer (to see if that fixes my hihat issues)
Tama QHC7 Quick Hi-Hat clutch
Vic Firth hickory 5A's (just to try those again)

Another A&F snare. This one is a 3 X 13 with 6 lugs. Very open, high pitched, and loud. Great side snare. Also came with a Big Fat Snare ring that I wasn't expecting. It is was nice of the seller to include it. I messed with it a little and won't pass judgement until I record with it.

Attachments

• 3 X 13 1.jpg
    3 X 13 1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3 X 13.jpg
    3 X 13.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 6
I’ve been really down sizing my gear lately. Sold a lot of gear.

But I’ve been really interested in playing small micro sets lately so I decided to pull the trigger on a Sonor AQX jungle set. 16” kick, 10” Tom, 13” floor Tom and 13” snare.

I’ve never owned a kick smaller than 22” so I’m excited to play this. I’ve been really thinking about adding a 3 piece micro sized kit to my drum room with just 3 cymbals (hats, ride, crash).

Can’t wait to test it out.

Attachments

• 9C4C0DC1-07A1-4688-865A-B117500895AA.jpeg
    9C4C0DC1-07A1-4688-865A-B117500895AA.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 0
I’ve been really down sizing my gear lately. Sold a lot of gear.

But I’ve been really interested in playing small micro sets lately so I decided to pull the trigger on a Sonor AQX jungle set. 16” kick, 10” Tom, 13” floor Tom and 13” snare.

I’ve never owned a kick smaller than 22” so I’m excited to play this. I’ve been really thinking about adding a 3 piece micro sized kit to my drum room with just 3 cymbals (hats, ride, crash).

Can’t wait to test it out.
Every time I see sonor on a drumhead I feel lust..in the RIGHT way. Forgive me lord for there is lusteth in my hearteth. I think that's ok though.

Arrived today! I was lucky enough to find this Ludwig bronze LM305 beauty, fresh off the shelf & untouched! These were discontinued by Ludwig years ago and are pretty rare to find in the drum market. It’s welded as opposed to being seamless, but it is deceptively heavy despite the thin shell. Score!

Attachments

• 279E2E1D-A2C6-4F9F-8437-0468D4FBA03E.jpeg
    279E2E1D-A2C6-4F9F-8437-0468D4FBA03E.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 14
well got a 7x14 Keplinger Black iron snare and 6x14 DW 3mm copper snare, no pics you all know what these things look like.

Just ordered a china I have been lusting for every since I saw Alex Rudinger using it frequently, 18" Meinl Pure Alloy. Quick, dry, trashy. Seems perfect, as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• thumb_i16099.jpg
    thumb_i16099.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1
Back