What's your latest purchase?

Comfiest thing I've ever sat on! Would replace every chair in my house and bar (work) with them if I could!! Seriously it really feels good. Secure, stable, no pressures on lower back or anything which I was getting on other stools.

Only thing - and this is a question rather than a complaint, what is the plastic sheath on the metal stem of the back-rest for? Its not actually connected at either top or bottom so its not water-proof or anything, its not structural, it certainly isn't aesthetic, its not for comfort....I know most stools with backrests (and not even drumming stools here) have them...but why? What purpose do they serve?

View attachment 103012

I assume the sheath is to protect that metal from impact damage.

I assume the sheath is to protect that metal from impact damage.

Of all parts of a kit that's the bit that needs protecting..? There's so much exposed metal and yet that one bits needs some extra protection? Not saying your wrong, just seems a bit bizarre. Why not sheath the legs? The cymbal stands? Etc...

I wanted 16" hats, so I picked these up.

I would NOT doubt it if these were made in the same Chinese factory as the Trinity Cymbals.

But, they sound great. Trashy and dark and dry-ish. B20, brand new. Fun

Of all parts of a kit that's the bit that needs protecting..? There's so much exposed metal and yet that one bits needs some extra protection? Not saying your wrong, just seems a bit bizarre. Why not sheath the legs? The cymbal stands? Etc...

I don’t know, I mean, the only other idea I have is that that piece of metal is higher up, more noticeable, and therefore tends to

1. take a lot of scratches due to being higher and less protected

2. have those scratches be noticeable, because it’s higher up.

don’t know. LOL

Got this bad boy to partner up with my 18” Sabian HH thin crash, a match made in cymbal heaven:

View attachment 103015
I dig the traditional darks. I have a 20 and a 19. Mine open up a little too easily for my tastes but I'm all over their tone.

They are the only crash cymbals I have, where I crash with the stick tip instead of the side of the stick. I like a little bloom in my crashes and the side of the stick makes it go from zero to a hundred immediately. Good for a dragster, but I prefer my crashes to be a little slower, like me.

got myself another super kick 2 to pair with my other one in storage. i currently have superkick 1s on my double bass kit. but i got two of these in case i want a bit more punch and durability over the single plys :)

14597464-351620061848177-2619893418783932416-n-2.jpg

New heads for my basement jam kit. I went with coated Ambassadors over clear with the intent of getting as much resonance and sustain out of the toms as possible then subtracting what I didn't need later. The room is pretty dead acoustically anyway.

This is an unusual but familiar tom setup for me. 12-13-16 but in modern depths, not power sizes. I'm able to arrange them to my liking on top of the 22" kick drum, something that eluded me in the past when playing power toms.

They're a bit like new sneakers at the moment but they'll look better after a few hours of use. :)

Heads.jpg

Jam kit.jpg

Traded in some other stuff at my local MGR and ended up with a 17” Zildjian A medium thin crash, 14” Sabian hats and a vintage Tama Rockstar 8 lug snare in great condition. Cleaned everything and put on a fairly new Remo batter side head. A321562C-993B-4740-9B91-74DF0FD73E71.jpeg
Will give everything a good workout tomorrow. 5818CB4E-11E7-4557-B796-01959BE68152.jpegCBA55424-1287-4CF4-9C6D-732737EF7C15.jpeg51466404-34FD-4BFF-A44D-A88A965C6069.jpegB9C22E45-DD37-4C0C-8466-79A7B48EFC9C.jpeg

I am a big guy. HUGE. 6'2" tall, 370 pounds at my last doctor's appointment. I would kill most normal-sized thrones. So I was thrilled when I found the Gibraltar Pro Oversized Motorcycle Style Throne on Amazon.

View attachment 102852
View attachment 102853

The seat plate size is important on these over-sized thrones. This one had a large size plate to help distribute weight.

View attachment 102854

The stand is super-beefy and HEAVY!

View attachment 102855

View attachment 102856

Compared to the throne I got with my used kit:
View attachment 102857

If you are looking for a heavy-duty throne, I cannot recommend this highly enough. I LOVE this thing. There is an option for a backrest as well.
I think I will be replacing my other music room stools with these as well.
Your comparison let me think about the small 50 years old drum throne that came with my drums kit and the Tama First Chair I bought...I'm not tall, 5'7 plus maybe 80 kg, but I needed a nice chair for my back after my accident and tried a lot in a store, then, decided on the Tama. I had tried the Gibraltar but it was too large for my legs, but I know it, you have chosen very well...

Last edited:
Finally found a Paiste Dark Energy Hi Hat in 15“:
Hi my god, great, Idon't have any 15", only 14", I wanted to find the Meinl Foundry Reserve in 15" but found a used one alsmot new at a good price so, jumped on it...But I was always attracted to the Paiste Dark Energy, it's one of their best range I think, how do you like them, are they only for Jazz as they are in 15"? Or very versatile too? For Funk for example? Better a 13", right?

Last edited:
I got some new AAX’s

• 14" AAX X-Celerator Hats
  • 17" AAX X-Plosion Fast Crash
  • 19" AAX X-Plosion Fast Crash
  • 18” AAX X-Plosion Ozone
  • 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride
  • 10" AAX Air Splash
  • 83F44400-BA83-4952-93C4-C342C6FFAA25.jpeg

New heads for my basement jam kit. I went with coated Ambassadors over clear with the intent of getting as much resonance and sustain out of the toms as possible then subtracting what I didn't need later. The room is pretty dead acoustically anyway.

This is an unusual but familiar tom setup for me. 12-13-16 but in modern depths, not power sizes. I'm able to arrange them to my liking on top of the 22" kick drum, something that eluded me in the past when playing power toms.

They're a bit like new sneakers at the moment but they'll look better after a few hours of use. :)

View attachment 103024

View attachment 103023
New sneakers always take some breaking in! I find that with new heads I also spend more time tuning and fine tuning until everything sounds like it ought to. Nice setup

Bosphorus Traditional 18-Inch 18-Hole cymbal. Normally I prefer darker, warmer cymbals but I was in need of a brighter accent cymbal.

BosphorusTrad18-HoleLoRes.jpg

I’m not entirely sure , but does that sheath compress so you can loosen and adjust the backrest down without the backrest falling down . I’m guessing if the backrest loosens up it stay or holds it at its height until you can re tighten ??‍♂️.

Back