What's your latest purchase?

In the past couple months.......

22" K Constantinople Renaissance Ride.....wow what an instrument

13" Pearl Maple Utility snare..... side snare, never had a 13" and was going to build one, but for this price why bother building when you can have something like this for a very reasonable price. Swapped to my familiar Evans head and it sounds decent in its role.

It's funny, so many drummers get hung up on the nuances of the "drumset" meaning analysis paralysis on the shell pack/set of toms, etc. when for many if not most of us, our "sound" is comprised primarily of your hats, snare, kick and ride.........since I really like the sound of my kick (I play Japan made Starclassic Birch Performers from ~2002 when I got them new) , over the years I have focused on quality snares, fell in love with 15" Avedis hats, the K Constantinople filled a sound my other rides could not for me.......

Last edited:
I got 9 packs of 12 count .009 gauge 1st E strings for my guitars from GC online. That's 108 E strings ha ha. I'm pretty sure I'm good until death on E strings. They weren't coiled either, just 12 strings in a simple long skinny bag. Which was nice.

They were only $2.50 a pack. I bought enough to get the free shipping. Who sells 12 of anything for $2.50?

Just for the record, now that I threw that gauntlet down, I am looking forward to all your answers lol

I picked up a set of Booty Shakers yesterday for those times when I mount a rack tom in a snare stand.

They work pretty well because they were too much for my 12" Renown tom. It must have sustained for 8-10 seconds before I stopped it with a finger. Way too much sustain for my liking. I imagine they'll be just about perfect for the 13" Ludwig Accent tom I leave at one of the rehearsal spots I frequent.

If you regularly mount a rack tom in a snare stand, you owe it to yourself to try these things. They work!

Booty Shakers.jpg

Last edited:
As promised, a pic of the one I have- it has a dryness and a pop I really like, and it seems to like a variety of tunings... The throwoff tried to fall apart on me while cleaning, but a PO had set it way too loose, and a nut fell off. Tightened and it feels pretty solid now.
So far, it seems a capable inexpensive snare drum, and, worse case, a decent start for a project.

20210223-122809.jpg

Totally an impulse buy in an attempt to improve my mood in my current condition, justified by that and the fact that it's unlike my other snare drums, and the price was right.
13x7 ddrum snare, birch with ash outer veneer.
I think I like it, but, hopefully, I'll be able to tell for sure soon.

Here's a stock pic of one not unlike it. :)
I'll get a pic up asap.
IMG_8041_89c9c792-d75e-422a-be25-6d4a3fe5d9d1_110x110@2x.jpg

My latest isn't purchased yet. I'm waiting for Tony to text me when the shipment of Istanbul agope traditional rides arrive. I'd love some help with something...get on YouTube and listen to the 20 agope played by Ben from my cymbal.com. also listen to some 24"paiste 2002 rides. I'm so on the fence here. Some opinions may help push me towards one over the other...ive never been this stuck for a decision. I greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts.

My latest isn't purchased yet. I'm waiting for Tony to text me when the shipment of Istanbul agope traditional rides arrive. I'd love some help with something...get on YouTube and listen to the 20 agope played by Ben from my cymbal.com. also listen to some 24"paiste 2002 rides. I'm so on the fence here. Some opinions may help push me towards one over the other...ive never been this stuck for a decision. I greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts.

If I've found the right demo, the Agop 20" is darker and more diffused than the Paiste 24", which is clean and focused with an assertive bell but still quite receptive to subtle playing. Which sound do you want? That's the only question you need to answer.

I got 3 Pearl suspension feets for my 14" DW floor tom that I never got around to installing because I wasn't gigging the 14. Also, I'm getting 2 chrome 13" 6 hole TF hoops for my 13" Guru rack tom. They were supposed to be here Friday.

I'm using metal hoops on the racks for now. They are less warm...but more aggressive with the metal hoops. For the smaller drums, I decided I want them as aggressive sounding as I can get it, for projection mainly, because no mics. They are too small to warm up with wood hoops. It does look interesting to me to have the wood hoops on the floors and the metal hoops on the racks. The 13 sounds great with the maple hoops. I'm just doing the 13 so it matches the 12. It would bother me to have different hoops on the racks. I'm keeping the wood hoops on the floor toms, they are big enough to be warmed up.

The Agop 20" traditional they have quite a few models available which one is in their order? :) Some of them would be glorious for jazz. I would think about 2002 for other kind of music, all this is very subjective.

Agop 20" traditional:
Traditional jazz ride
Traditional Dark ride
Traditional original ride
Traditional medium ride
Traditional Heavy ride
Traditional Flat ride
Traditional Crash ride
Traditional Thin crash
Traditional Medium crash
Traditional Heavy crash
Traditional Dark crash

If I've found the right demo, the Agop 20" is darker and more diffused than the Paiste 24", which is clean and focused with an assertive bell but still quite receptive to subtle playing. Which sound do you want? That's the only question you need to answer.
Man!..what sound do I want????God help me...i like the wash of the agope traditional original ride as well as the stick sound. I love the stick sound of the paiste 24 as well as the wash but the istanbul wash opens up quicker which I like!. I don't think the bell sound on either is of significance here but important. I know myself and may regret the Istanbul but if it's like the one Ben played I'm cool. Regret comes only because of the differences from cymbal to cymbal due to the hand made subtleties. Thank you and everyone for your thoughts on this. I appreciate it more than you know.

I've needed a new cymbal bag for a while, and I'll be off to the studio for a recording project in a few weeks (my first in over a year), so I ordered a premium Zildjian bag this morning. The front compartment holds hi-hats up to 16", and the main section accommodates cymbals up to 22". Internal dividers isolate each cymbal, eliminating bronze-on-bronze contact. My Zildjian A Avedis pies will be nice and cozy in this receptacle.

Zildjian Bag.jpg

Last edited:
The Agop 20" traditional they have quite a few models available which one is in their order? :) Some of them would be glorious for jazz. I would think about 2002 for other kind of music, all this is very subjective.

Agop 20" traditional:
Traditional jazz ride
Traditional Dark ride
Traditional original ride
Traditional medium ride
Traditional Heavy ride
Traditional Flat ride
Traditional Crash ride
Traditional Thin crash
Traditional Medium crash
Traditional Heavy crash
Traditional Dark crash
I'll take the Traditional one...with a small logo please

Finally I can also post over here!

My first professional cymbal (new to me, quite a good deal given the - I think - very good state of it):
View attachment 101802

There is a bit of greenish patina on the bottom, what would you say? Clean it or remove it?

I'm all for leaving patina untouched on some cymbals, but I'm not sure I'd do it with a Paiste 2002. It's meant to sound (and look) bright and clean. Bringing out its sparkle makes sense to me.

Back