What's your latest purchase?

Picked up a Ludwig Accent CS Custom kit today. I think it might be the "Elite" version because the CS Custom was satin finish and this one is cherry red lacquer. It's beat up and will probably need some hardware replaced but I think it has enormous potential. 8-ply birch shells, 10 lug kick drum and snare, RIMS style mounts and a nice glossy lacquer finish. Needs heads too, of course.

Anyway, it was only $75 USD and included a Pearl hi-hat stand, a pair of Sabian B8 hi-hats and a B8 ride cymbal. I'd post pics but I haven't so much as dusted them off. A future project. ?

Last edited:
Dark Energy MkII are my favorites. $600 is a little stiff for a ride. It's like they know how good they sound ?

I’m in Canada. I feel the pain. A 20” Dark Energy Mark l Ride that I bought was $629.00
The Blue Bell 22” is $656.00 and I had my eye on a 22” 602 ME ride, but at $757.00, I bowed out. And there’s 12% tax on top of those prices :(

I got this!

Mine sounds remarkably similar. My 34" gong rings to a fairly accurate "E" note.

I gotta say, I was very happy with my Gongs Unlimited purchase. Pretty fast shipping. It came with an OK mallet, (I wrapped it with a washcloth and it sounds more pleasing) the hanging rope, and the gong holes were champhered to make a nice smooth bearing edge for the hanging rope. The gope lol.
743 to my door. Now I'm waiting on some friction mallets. I am really digging this
That sounds amazing! Really beautiful. I’m pretty sure that I like cymbals better than drums these days. :unsure: Is it just to have or do you have a specific musical use for it?

I’m in Canada. I feel the pain. A 20” Dark Energy Mark l Ride that I bought was $629.00
The Blue Bell 22” is $656.00 and I had my eye on a 22” 602 ME ride, but at $757.00, I bowed out. And there’s 12% tax on top of those prices :(
I feel your pain too as a fellow Canuck. I added up my spend on Paiste 2002s a few months ago and I think I'm up to $4500 give or take and that may not even include taxes. They ain't cheap.

Nevertheless, this for me is one of the best things about being divorced and there are so many things to love about it; I don't have to account for or justify my spending in any way. I pay cash and don't owe a dime for any of my gear so it's not like I'm being reckless either.

Just got a 6 1/2 x 14 maple Dialtune Snare

Revolutionary tuning system sounds fantastic can be re-tuned in seconds
I tried to attach a pic, file too large and don’t have time to redo right now.

Here’s a link

Just got a 6 1/2 x 14 maple Dialtune Snare

Revolutionary tuning system sounds fantastic can be re-tuned in seconds
I tried to attach a pic, file too large and don’t have time to redo right now.

Here’s a link

Looks innovative, especially the head change, but these types of tension mechanisms assume perfect alignment of hoop, head and bearing edge. If one of these variables is not 100% planar to the direction of tension, the system will not perform properly. Plus, the hardware requires a 6.5” shell depth, and I’ve been getting into shallower depths over the last few years.

Looks innovative, especially the head change, but these types of tension mechanisms assume perfect alignment of hoop, head and bearing edge. If one of these variables is not 100% planar to the direction of tension, the system will not perform properly. Plus, the hardware requires a 6.5” shell depth, and I’ve been getting into shallower depths over the last few years.
The drum is exceedingly well engineered. I am not worried about the tuning system failing.

You’re getting into shallower snare depths? OK but that has nothing to do with my post.

This is really just an “ooh” and “aah” thread.

The drum is exceedingly well engineered. I am not worried about the tuning system failing.

You’re getting into shallower snare depths? OK but that has nothing to do with my post.

This is really just an “ooh” and “aah” thread.
It looks impressive. Is it heavy?

That sounds amazing! Really beautiful. I’m pretty sure that I like cymbals better than drums these days. :unsure: Is it just to have or do you have a specific musical use for it?
It's 100% a personal indulgence. Gongs do something to me. It's the first real piece of gear I bought in a few years. There's no way I'd even consider taking this thing on a gig lol, I'd have absolutely no use for it. Right now, it's hung from a joist in my studio with eyehooks and S hooks

I've been fascinated with cymbal sounds since I was a toddler. More than drums. The drums make the feeling, no doubt, but the cymbals really attract my ear. I love standing in front of this gong and playing it softly just for the low frequency bath. With friction mallets, it makes sounds that remind me of the movie "Titanic" when Jack and Rose are deep within the bowels of the ship trying to escape and the hull/keel is failing and making all these eerie tones. Gongs make good whale sounds too.

I've come to the conclusion that eerie friction gong tones and horror movies go together like peas and carrots. I use a guiro rake to make these really cool scrape sounds.

It's amazing to me that I can get a 34" gong for less than 750, considering that a 50" gong is like 8x the price.

It looks impressive. Is it heavy?
The hardware does add some weight but I have metal drums that weigh more.

i think it will require a 15” dia case due to the outside “rim”
But for a tinkerer like myself this is a dream come true. I can experiment with different tunings and head choices incredibly quickly.

It can go from a ballad low pitch to a stewart copeland very high pitch faster than your guitar player can tune.

Got this mint condition 14 x 6” Noble and Cooley Horizon series snare drum in trade . It is a fantastic snare drum - maple shell with an inner ply of African Mahogany . The drum is warm and articulate with a huge tuning range .

Nice find, how would you rate this compared to the SSs? Seems the Horizon snares are one of the best deals on market but never got to play one.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 5.12.28 PM.png

Finally got this thing put together, it's a 1980 Eames Master Model 14x7 (15 ply birch, ~15mm). I replaced all hardware including adding Twin Channel 70s Ludwig hoops, Dunnett R-class 3 position vintage and pearl-vintage style lugs. Sort of painful retrofitting, had to customize the gaskets and the original strainer (Rogers clockface) does not fit due to these thick hoops. Not to mention, most provided screws are not intended for a shell this thick. I put a diplomat snare side along with a VF/Canopus-26. It's ~15lbs so pretty heavy for a wood snare, I've never played a shell so thick. The sound shoots out like a cannon so it's really sensitive given the depth but still a soft-woody tone. If you can guess who's drum sound I'm going for, you get a ⭐

BTW, if someone needs a new Rogers clockface strainer, PM me, I will sell it cheap (out of box and installed, but could never use it).

Last edited:
Since I seem to be on a Stewart Copeland/Police kick, having his signature snare, and just having ordered a Blue Bell Ride, I just paid for a 16” Signature Full Crash, which should be here in a day or two. And this followed me home, a Signature 8” splash which I hope will pair decently with the 10” DE splash I have. May as well go all out and order the 12” rhythmist Hats ?

Attachments

• 2C6DF01D-DF81-40A1-9607-E8E57FF50156.jpeg
    2C6DF01D-DF81-40A1-9607-E8E57FF50156.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
After about 18 months of not really buying anything, I've suddenly found myself stumbling across a few deals recently, including this 20" Zildjian A thin crash in almost Like New condition for half the price of new. It's a bigger crash than I normally care for, but it was such a bargain I figured I could always flip it...and then I got it home and after two minutes of playing it thought, yeah, no, this baby's staying with me.

MyNewZildjian20ThinCrash.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a set of bags. Tama Standard line. 600 Dernier. Nice zippers, handles, carry straps. Great for home storage and light gigging. View attachment 100030
Looking for some too, they look great and my kit is Tama so, where did you buy them and how much?

It's the small things that count! Gibraltar Rubber Cymbal Seat. They seem excessive for $7 each, but I've been struggling to get the L80s to have sustain, so figured I'd give them a shot.
View attachment 99989
It replaces the factory sleeve and felt, so you remove one and insert this in place of it. Didn't have a ton of hope, but wow, what a difference. Ever since I got the L80s, the 16" crash has dropped out too fast and the bell on the 20" ride would give a thunk sound if hit too high on the bell. The 16" had no bell sound. This little gadget took care of both. Bell rings with nice sustain and the 16" found its voice. I was using soft Gibraltar felts prior.

The plus, if you don't use top felts you can use the upper rubber piece and slip it right onto the factory sleeve instead of the felt washer and voila, two for one! I don't know how well they will impact thicker cymbals, but for thinner and L80s, I'd say they are a must at the point. Ordering more. BTW, also got the rubber HH sleeves and those have similar results. (y)
I looked at the Gibraltar website and don't understand at all now to use them?? Any pictures from your side to help me? I bought the CRS, So, this is waayyy cheaper, I'm sure I could use not but???? How?? Any help?

Back