What's your latest purchase?

I'd love to hear your take on the difference of the Prolite and SQ2 med beech. All 3 kits really look the biz!! That might be the nicest looking Ludwig kit I've ever seen!

Well, thank you sir!

Regarding the difference between the Prolites and the med beech SQ2s - surprisingly, not that much. Hardware-wise, they're similar. I'm assuming the medium beech has slightly more projection due to the straight walled 6mm shells (I haven't been able to confirm this yet: COVID has killed all my gigs), but the Prolites have the same thickness at each bearing edge (6mm) due to the re-rings. The only other variation would be the subtle sonic differences between German beech and N. American maple.

Frankly, I'm blown away at the quality of the Ludwigs. I was expecting a nicely made set of drums (you know, the whole Limited Edition bit), but this set rivals German Sonors at every level. Smoothest bearing edges I've ever seen. The exotic veneers are top shelf stuff; the gloss lacquer superbly applied, inside and out. I should also mention that they sound great! I'm really thrilled with them.

The only new things I have purchased in the last few months have been a Gibraltar Softy Throne 9608, it's nice but not as comfortable as my Ahead Saddle Seat throne. I use the Gibro seat at my practice pad stand. That stand has various pads I use, OffWorld, Capella Blue Hex and a Pro Logix, depending on the feel I am working on. I also have been trying out various Meinl Drum Sticks. They are really well balanced in my hands and I go for the 16 1/2 length. Though I switch off between 5B and 2B many times, lately I am playing the Meinl 5B Long. I dig those sticks.

I forgot about a purchase I made prior to all the pandemic goings on . I purchased a DW LowPro travel kit in Black Diamond Pearl with the rolling suitcase that it fits into . Got to use it at a Big Band rehearsal and was surprised how nice the toms sound . Really nice and fat sounding . The bass drum is acceptable for what I need it for . I quickly sold the SNOM ( snare/Tom) as it is less than stellar to say the least .
I may plan to use it for some small room gigs triggering the bass drum with a Roland TM-1 and bass trigger . The kit with the mounting hardware weighs about 25 lbs all together .
I have always been on the lookout for portable kits as I do a lot of rehearsals and last minute small room gigs . The Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 is the best I have owned but this little kit is far better sounding than some others I have owned .

Attachments

• 4E09891B-FABC-45C2-8ACE-EB38F79C56C6.jpeg
    4E09891B-FABC-45C2-8ACE-EB38F79C56C6.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 6
  • C775E2D8-7A16-4E43-9338-7FE2551245D1.jpeg
    C775E2D8-7A16-4E43-9338-7FE2551245D1.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 9DD20C14-5399-4A75-BAF7-90E7E429D692.jpeg
    9DD20C14-5399-4A75-BAF7-90E7E429D692.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 2
I've been buying more motorcycle parts than drums lately but my latest about a week ago was a 14x6 Noble and Cooley Alloy Classic aluminum snare. I've always wanted a N&C drum of some sort and finally my desires came true. Got it for a great deal through Reverb.

I've been buying more motorcycle parts than drums lately but my latest about a week ago was a 14x6 Noble and Cooley Alloy Classic aluminum snare. I've always wanted a N&C drum of some sort and finally my desires came true. Got it for a great deal through Reverb.

Gotta love that cast aluminum sound. The only snare I’m sorry I sold was my Pearl Ultracast aluminum drum.

I forgot about a purchase I made prior to all the pandemic goings on . I purchased a DW LowPro travel kit in Black Diamond Pearl with the rolling suitcase that it fits into . Got to use it at a Big Band rehearsal and was surprised how nice the toms sound . Really nice and fat sounding . The bass drum is acceptable for what I need it for . I quickly sold the SNOM ( snare/Tom) as it is less than stellar to say the least .
I may plan to use it for some small room gigs triggering the bass drum with a Roland TM-1 and bass trigger . The kit with the mounting hardware weighs about 25 lbs all together .
I have always been on the lookout for portable kits as I do a lot of rehearsals and last minute small room gigs . The Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 is the best I have owned but this little kit is far better sounding than some others I have owned .

Mannnnnn - I love the idea of the portability of that. My new yamaha crosstown hardware - this little guy and a cymbal bag - whole set in one easy trip.

Does it REALLY sound ok? Could you actually gig with this - paired with something like a EAD10?

Mannnnnn - I love the idea of the portability of that. My new yamaha crosstown hardware - this little guy and a cymbal bag - whole set in one easy trip.

Does it REALLY sound ok? Could you actually gig with this - paired with something like a EAD10?

It is gig worthy for sure - the EAD 10 can mount on the bass drum for sure . Just use your own snare drum - the included snare/Tom just sucks

Crush Sublime E3 kit (North American maple)
Remo Ebony Emperor heads for the kit
Wood hoops for my Yamaha 7000 Series kit
Aquarian Classic Clear and Texture Coates heads for upcoming snare builds.
Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
Trixon Birch 5.5x14 with wood hoops
14x12 Premier Birch marcher (snom)
Ludwig Acrolite
5.5x14 oak stave shell and hardware to build it out
Rogers Steel R-380 shell to build out
Pearl Sensitone Maple Premium shell to build out
All the hardware to build out these shells
Wuhan Traditional cymbals (14 hats, 16 crash, 18 Linear, 20 ride)
Crush Kick pedal

-currently bidding on a Roger COB shell to build out.

Crush Sublime E3 kit (North American maple)

Had a Sublime E3 Maple last year. Hated the finish (Green stripe) but the kit was fantastic. Lovely attention to detail & flawless build quality :) If it had a different finish then I may have kept it.

Back