What's your latest purchase?

Jml

In a nutshell, I had unrealistic expectations of what a $1,400 intermediate level kit was supposed to be. I was expecting them to be on par with Yamaha's absolute and recording series. Most of my complaints are admittedly petty, picky and cosmetic. My fault.

- The flat black finish looked stunning in photos but was less impressive in person.
- The drums were very light and felt more like stage customs. I own a stage custom bass drum (which I love) and the tours felt very similar.
- The floor tom leg brackets didn't have memory locks or indentations to add them later.
- The bass drum hoops were likewise very light and didn't have a hoop protector.
- Something felt "off" with the lugs. They had a looser fit in the lug casing than other drums I've owned. The lug material felt less substantial as well.

So after putting it all together, I didn't like it; boxed it up and sent it away. I'm back to the drawing board. I currently own a Pearl Masters MCX 22/10/12/14/16 that I've cobbled into two kits. I'm very happy with the MCX and will start my search there.

No disrespect to you gentlemen who own and love Yamaha Tours.
Fair enough. I got the chocolate satin finish and love it. I also love the fact that it’s lightweight. The weight factor was one reason I returned the heavy Renowns I got. And lack of memory locks doesn’t affect me. Different horses for different courses. Hope you find what you want.

Reactions: A J

wildbill

Platinum Member
I also had a Tour Custom set that wasn't around too long.
It had some things I really liked - the Inverse Dyna hoops, and 10 lugs per side on a 20" bass drum.

But other than that, I thought the Stage Customs were a better value - though not so much anymore at the current price.
I have a set of those now.
The Tours came with better heads too, but that's not so much an issue if you plan to switch them out anyways.

Just curious A J - what were you looking for that you aren't getting from the Masters MCX?

A J

I also had a Tour Custom set that wasn't around too long.
It had some things I really liked - the Inverse Dyna hoops, and 10 lugs per side on a 20" bass drum.

But other than that, I thought the Stage Customs were a better value - though not so much anymore at the current price.
I have a set of those now.
The Tours came with better heads too, but that's not so much an issue if you plan to switch them out anyways.

Just curious A J - what were you looking for that you aren't getting from the Masters MCX?
In a nutshell, I want smaller drums.

Except for bass drum size, the Masters MCX is the perfect kit for me. It has everything I like. Its closest cousin (the MCT) is not as cool as the MCX. My current kit is 18x22, 9x10, 10x12, 14x14 and 16x16. I added a 16x20 Yamaha stage custom bass drum to make a small 20/10/14 kit that fits nicely in the band's studio and for gigging. Why am I looking for another kit?

1. I want smaller sizes for gigging and fitting better in a Honda Accord.
2. I've been in a 2-drummer band for about 2-years. Small drums fit better on stages, especially when you've got TWO monkeys with sticks! The bromance between me and the other drummer is strong. I can see this carrying on a long time.
3. My inner spoiled child is demanding a new toy! :)

wildbill

Platinum Member
In a nutshell, I want smaller drums.
Except for bass drum size, the Masters MCX is the perfect kit for me.....

Seems like Pearl should have something in the sizes you want. You seem to be happy with them.

I was surprised to hear your comment about the light weight of the Tour set though.
A lot of people go out of their way to find lighter drums.

lefty2

Platinum Member
In a nutshell, I had unrealistic expectations of what a $1,400 intermediate level kit was supposed to be. I was expecting them to be on par with Yamaha's absolute and recording series. Most of my complaints are admittedly petty, picky and cosmetic. My fault.

- The flat black finish looked stunning in photos but was less impressive in person.
- The drums were very light and felt more like stage customs. I own a stage custom bass drum (which I love) and the tours felt very similar.
- The floor tom leg brackets didn't have memory locks or indentations to add them later.
- The bass drum hoops were likewise very light and didn't have a hoop protector.
- Something felt "off" with the lugs. They had a looser fit in the lug casing than other drums I've owned. The lug material felt less substantial as well.

So after putting it all together, I didn't like it; boxed it up and sent it away. I'm back to the drawing board. I currently own a Pearl Masters MCX 22/10/12/14/16 that I've cobbled into two kits. I'm very happy with the MCX and will start my search there.

No disrespect to you gentlemen who own and love Yamaha Tours.
I have owned a big 2007 model Yamaha BCAN kit and currently own a Tama 2003 model Starclassic Performer kit which would be intermediate and I think the Tamas are on par with the more expensive Yamaha drums.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Just spent a little more money. I've been considering doing a bass drum tom mount for a while on my Standards for ease of setup and teardown. They're already deep player grade, so it wouldn't really affect anything. After some deliberation I decided on the single tom mount with base plate over the Atlas Arch, for weight purposes and ease of packing (it should fit in the bag with my bass drum pedals and floor tom legs easily).

1667798798826.png

1 hit wonder

My drums weren't available in virgin format so I'm using a double tom stalk mount which negated a stand base. I have no cymbal or tom stand bases at all.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Software. Updated to Oddity 3: https://gforcesoftware.com/products/oddity3/

Possible early Black Friday Fever. :ROFLMAO:
I've got tons of software, but IMO the GForce stuff is spectacular sounding.
Their impOSCar is one of my favorites, and the OB-e is the best sounding analog emulation I've heard.
Trying to keep the lid on BF spending, but I couldn't pass this one up.