What's your latest purchase?

cbphoto

Gold Member
The first completely fingerprint-free cymbal I've gotten in 20 years.
It’s primo!
I remember in a video somewhere seeing Neal Peart’s drum tech handle his cymbals with white (cotton?) gloves and thought he was a genius.

J-W

Granelli Audio Labs dose the conversion. Its called a 5790.

Is theirs any different than doing it this way? It seems easy and inexpensive.

A 90 degree Neutrik gives me all the clearance I need but I do like this concept.

Morrisman

Platinum Member

A 90 degree Neutrik gives me all the clearance I need but I do like this concept.
There might be a difference with handling noise - the airtight cavity inside a 57 contributes to the acoustic suspension system, reducing handling noise. This adaptor might still maintain that, or it might not. Of course, with drum mic’s on a stand it might not be an issue anyway.

Reactions: J-W

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Granelli Audio Labs dose the conversion. Its called a 5790. I had three of the regular SM57s and sometimes I had to compromise placement on snares due to the long body plus the XLR connector. I like all the mics to be facing me and parallel to each other to avoid electronic phase issues. They talk about it in this book along with a million other things I didn't know. Great book for the home studio.
Years ago, I bought a kit from Granelli and did the conversion myself. I'm not sure if they still offer that option.

Fred D

Pioneer Member
There might be a difference with handling noise - the airtight cavity inside a 57 contributes to the acoustic suspension system, reducing handling noise. This adaptor might still maintain that, or it might not. Of course, with drum mic’s on a stand it might not be an issue anyway.
The acoustic chamber is the same as a regular SM57. I recorded a little today and it sounded good. Nice clean signal.

Fred D

Pioneer Member

This is more compact than a right angle XLR. I have a couple of those cables.

Attachments

• 5790.jpg
    5790.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 6

J-W

This is more compact than a right angle XLR. I have a couple of those cables.

Absolutely. Much more compact.
I just meant that I'm not so tight for space that I need a 90 degree mic, since a 90 degree cable does the trick, but I can certainly see where there could be a need in certain circumstances. It's a pretty cool modification. :cool:(y)

Justinhub2003

Get two of these right angle SM57s. I've been using Earthworks exclusively, but sometimes I like the meatier tone of 57s for some snares. These fit into tighter spaces.

Same. I love my earthworks mics but I think I’ll always have an SM57 on the snare in conjunction with the DM20

Quai34

Get two of these right angle SM57s. I've been using Earthworks exclusively, but sometimes I like the meatier tone of 57s for some snares. These fit into tighter spaces.
Yes, I had heard about it for a while, I still prefer an AUDIX i5 on top or a Beyer M201 TG than the SM57, I usually out the SM57 for the bottom...but it's tough, I agree to slide the AUDIX between hat and snare, especially when you like both to be very close!!!

someguy01

Birthday gifts from the in-laws. The little Prologix pads are a set that has all 4 surfaces they offer. Pretty cool little exercise tools.

Attachments

• 20210712_163917.jpg
    20210712_163917.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210712_163928.jpg
    20210712_163928.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 6

Darth Vater

Omg dude....that's a freaking beauty. I bet that sounds like absolute heaven.
I'm still messing around with head choices on them but yeah, I'm really digging them. Talk about low tones! N&C make some really nice drums. I've been looking for a good walnut kit for awhile and these definitely fit the bill. I can honestly say that search is over. I think I'd like to add another rack tom but I've got some stuff I need to sell first. The cool mount device is spectacular in it's simplicity and effectiveness.

Lee-Bro

90s era Tama AW526 maple snare shell in Amber lacquer. I have all the required hardware from collecting it over the years. I'm hoping to find time this week to get it cleaned, assembled, and possibly gig it this weekend.

Spoke too soon. The lugs I have this drum are actually for 8" and 9" deep drums. I may pull the lugs off my Tama Brass just to get it set up though. :)