What's your latest purchase?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Last night it was tuned very high and I had a wallet on there to temper that not-quite-good CS, but I've got it tuned sort of medium low and wide open with an Ambassador X and Yamaha DC hoops at home right now. Super fat and incredibly sensitive all the way around, and I've yet to find a range that makes it sound bad. Quite possibly the fattest 5x14 I've ever played.

Yeah, those thick metal shells are sooo sensitive. I really think a thick metal shell, tuned somewhat low, 4-5” deep, is just an incredible sound for so many gigs.

Bongo Jesus

Picked up another 9000 snare stand for the black beauty.

KYqIt3J.jpg

Also a Roland TD-17KVX as a practice kit. After a lot arranging (and pipe cutting ) I got it to match my acoustic kit heights and set up.
You can see what Rolands set up idea was, and mine.

mT6e0ed.png

VybPYhr.jpg

04Fkrdc.jpg

Picked up another 9000 snare stand for the black beauty.

KYqIt3J.jpg

Also a Roland TD-17KVX as a practice kit. After a lot arranging (and pipe cutting ) I got it to match my acoustic kit heights and set up.
You can see what Rolands set up idea was, and mine.

mT6e0ed.png

VybPYhr.jpg

04Fkrdc.jpg
Great work! The unusable (for me) rack layout was the main reason I didn't plumb for the TD17 and went for the TD25. I don't think Id have the means to chop down bars, but your setup looks real comfortable!

Al Strange

That's a looker too. They're not prohibitively expensive, either. I'll check them both out, thank you! I was really hoping for an actual brass drum, not nickel black coated, etc. Ugh why all the black brass?!
For me, I already own a 14 x 6.5 brass snare so I wanted a NOB 14 x 8...thanks to some awesome recommendations on here I pursued a Worldmax as they make the shells for Ludwig. Unfortunately there was a long wait so after a couple of failed attempts at a WorldMax I went for the Black Magic...a fantastic drum. (y) :)

RickP

Gold Member
Found this on Facebook Market Place for very low dough . The owner even offered to deliver it (90 minute drive) for an extra $20 !!
10 ply Nashville Slingerland with Birdseye outer veneer . 14 x 4” , engraved sticksaver hoops . Replaced the beat up heads with fresh Remo and changed the wires to Canopus Vintage wires and it sounds incredible .74C4E8B0-166F-4F9D-B812-E9B8E8AEF8F2.jpeg770EAB69-951E-45BF-A7EF-1F3C458F7D97.jpegF96A48F1-AC64-4B13-806C-B2622BC48BE4.jpeg

JohnnyStix

For me, I already own a 14 x 6.5 brass snare so I wanted a NOB 14 x 8...thanks to some awesome recommendations on here I pursued a Worldmax as they make the shells for Ludwig. Unfortunately there was a long wait so after a couple of failed attempts at a WorldMax I went for the Black Magic...a fantastic drum. (y) :)
Soooooo, amidst all the searching, I found this on CL and that was that... An impromptu 3 hour drive from Nj to Long Island... A late 80s or so Slingerland brass, 7.5" shell, 10 Lug. It's low and loud and has that heavy attack I was looking for. I threw the red Evans head on that I had gotten for the acrylic Tama snare that arrived cracked and was sent back. It's quite the fashion statement, but it sounds freaking awesome.
Geeze what's the secret to posting a photo here. No matter what I do it says the file is too big. I've changed the quality to the lowest mp and cropped as much as I could.

SomeBadDrummer

Great story. To upload photos you must first email them to yourself, selecting “large”. Then retrieve from your inbox. This simply reduces the file sizes.

SomeBadDrummer

Found this mint condition Tama Superstar Classic maple snare for nearly nothing because it was missing a few lugs and someone had it setup all wrong.
It’s in mint condition and sounds as you might expect a 14 x 6 maple snare drum to sound. Very punchy although I have the Evans dry head tuned fairly high for crispier ghost notes.

Attachments

• 37FE1C5F-45BA-46FA-A6F2-F4228DE7FD13.jpeg
    37FE1C5F-45BA-46FA-A6F2-F4228DE7FD13.jpeg
    766.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 4FF4CB44-F90D-4B65-9474-AE19C42155B3.jpeg
    4FF4CB44-F90D-4B65-9474-AE19C42155B3.jpeg
    794.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 85A5D20A-EB5A-4EE5-99F1-EA8F28B69924.jpeg
    85A5D20A-EB5A-4EE5-99F1-EA8F28B69924.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 3

Quai34

A DW 5x14 from 2000... cast bronze!

View attachment 104699
Whooaaa, usually I'm not a fan of DW, I think their lugs a4too big but in this case, with the chrome on the BBC ronze, it looks awesome!!! I would love a bronze snare, used would be cheaper but I feel I could get fool because I don't have enough experience with drums to by them used.

JohnnyStix

Soooooo, amidst all the searching, I found this on CL and that was that... An impromptu 3 hour drive from Nj to Long Island... A late 80s or so Slingerland brass, 7.5" shell, 10 Lug. It's low and loud and has that heavy attack I was looking for. I threw the red Evans head on that I had gotten for the acrylic Tama snare that arrived cracked and was sent back. It's quite the fashion statement, but it sounds freaking awesome.
Geeze what's the secret to posting a photo here. No matter what I do it says the file is too big. I've changed the quality to the lowest mp and cropped as much as I could.

Ahhhh Now It Works. Thanks for The Help !!

Attachments

• Snare2.jpg
    Snare2.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Snare3.jpg
    Snare3.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 14

JohnnyStix

Found this mint condition Tama Superstar Classic maple snare for nearly nothing because it was missing a few lugs and someone had it setup all wrong.
It’s in mint condition and sounds as you might expect a 14 x 6 maple snare drum to sound. Very punchy although I have the Evans dry head tuned fairly high for crispier ghost notes.
That's an awesome find, and an easy fix. Nice work!

SomeBadDrummer

Thanks! My wife said: “seems like you go by that store pretty often.” Store indeed. Stores with an s.
Reminds me of this picture hanging in my dad’s guitar shop:

Attachments

• 9AC236EB-F9B4-4586-8747-D30DA998DCCB.jpeg
    9AC236EB-F9B4-4586-8747-D30DA998DCCB.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 33